Open Carry in Georgia with or without Magazine?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Georgia with or without Magazine?

Open Carry in Georgia with or without Magazine?

when oc in ga i need to know if the mag can be in the gun or outside of it.

Yhe only safe way is to look it up yourself. Google "Ga Gun Laws".

Greets....

Here in Georgia we understand that carrying an empty gun is about the
    same as carrying a billy club....

Assuming you have your GWL (Georgia Weapons License) you may carry
    open or concealed (or sloppy concealed) fully loaded and in condition 1.

You can review all of the laws at the GeorgiaPacking Website
    Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

You'll also find the forums there in case you have additonal questions..

Carry On !
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

thank you bruceGATL

6. www

Yea, you can go to www.georgiapacking.com or go to Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news.

I belong to GA carry...

Yes, mag can be in, but I would not OC... someone will call the cops on you.... all the Liberals have moved to GA!

Quote Originally Posted by bro.bryant View Post
    when oc in ga i need to know if the mag can be in the gun or outside of it.
    Yes, the magazine can be in the gun or outside of the gun. There can even (shudder) be a round in the chamber! Or, you can have one magazine inside the gun, and a spare magazine outside the gun.

You do have to have a permit (CCW type) recognized by GA, however, unless you are GA state or US military or other exempted type person. GA is the only state that I know of that exempts a military member from their license requirement, even when carrying in a personal (not military) capacity.

8. Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Yes, the magazine can be in the gun or outside of the gun. There can even (shudder) be a round in the chamber! Or, you can have one magazine inside the gun, and a spare magazine outside the gun.

You do have to have a permit (CCW type) recognized by GA, however, unless you are GA state or US military or other exempted type person. GA is the only state that I know of that exempts a military member from their license requirement, even when carrying in a personal (not military) capacity.
    Hey, are you sure you have to have a GFL to open carry? I thought GA was an open carry state.

9. Mag Ban...

Oh yea, I just got this over my email....

I've just received word from inside sources in the U.S. Senate.

Senate Democrats are planning to execute a sneak attack on gun rights as soon as TODAY!

Their plan is to sneak Carolyn McCarthy's Magazine Ban into law as an amendment to the Federal Aviation Administration Bill, a routine piece of generally non-controversial legislation.

Please vote NO of this law, this is a violation of our 2nd Amendment rights! Please oppose Carolyn McCarthy's Magazine Ban every step of the way whether it's attached as an amendment or not.

Thanks,
    GA Voter

Quote Originally Posted by Zander_SIG View Post
    Hey, are you sure you have to have a GFL to open carry? I thought GA was an open carry state.
    Yes, a license is required to open carry. Without a license it must be enclosed in a case and unloaded.

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 (2011)

16-11-126. Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zander_SIG View Post
    Yea, you can go to www.georgiapacking.com or go to Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news.

I belong to GA carry...

Yes, mag can be in, but I would not OC... someone will call the cops on you.... all the Liberals have moved to GA!
    Wow... I open carry about 70% of the time (not supposed to carry at all
    at work) because there are a few places that are just too crowd for ME to be
    comfortable with my gun exposed. I have NEVER had anyone call the cops
    on me nor have I had an officer "freak-out" because they saw that I was
    carrying. I DO carry a pocket full of GeorgiaCarry.org cards to attempt to educate
    the ones that take exception of seeing my gun.

Last night several of us went to dinner at the Golden Trough (Corral to most
    folks) and we were all open carrying. All I got was one person asking if I was
    a police officer and several asking about obtaining their GWL.
    Having said that.. if you read the posts over at GeorgiaPacking.org , not
    EVERY encounter goes perfectly, but more and more... it is becoming less
    and less of an issue.
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast