Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry

I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    This is what I was talking about. Police need to start policing their own if they want people to start trusting them again.
    If there are so many great cops and so few bad cops,it shouldn't be too much trouble for the great ones to expose and help get rid of the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Who is ccwaz anyway? I scrolled back three pages on my laptop and didn't see anyone by that name. Please include a relevant quote the next time so it's obvious who you're talking about unless you're the next poster. Now that I know who you were responding to, your comment makes more sense. Sorry for believing you were telling that ballsy YouTuber how to suck eggs when he went a lot further than I know I would have given the equivalent circumstances. I see a lot of keyboard bravado but as the popular saying goes on another forum, "It never happened if there's not pictures (or video/audio)." In this guy's case, there was audio and he didn't give an inch until it was obvious the consequences would have been some physical harm, even though he was "right" by the letter of the law. But being dead right/seriously injured at the hands of an out-of-control cop doesn't cut it...there's a time to capitulate and continue the resistance in a more civilized setting...in a court of law. And that guy took it right to the brink...and was ultimately released according to FloridaBlue.
    "Originally Posted by ccwaz
    assume for just one minute that somebody who is about your same height and weight just robbed a store half a block away. The cop heard about it on his radio. You didn't. He sees you with a gun on your hip. He asks for your id.

Treat the cop with respect. Assume he is doing his job, which includes putting his life on the line for you and a lot of ungrateful people who are afraid of him because he carries a gun - which is the normal attitude of sheep toward the sheepdog. If you have not broken any laws, you have nothing to fear. Show your id. While you're at it, thank the cop for his service.

If a real bad guy came in right then and started shooting up the starbucks, guess who would be the first one to step in front of a bullet for you. Cut the cop some slack."

this was the post I was replying to. I could have sworn I put it in my reply, guess I hit the wrong button or something.

4. Open carry

Well i dont think that one officers judgement applies to all peace officers were im from many view it as a good idea an old man said an ounce of derrent is worth a pound of lead but if need be any thing worth shooting at is worth shooting twice

i'm here in columbus,ga. if any one can let me know if any oc groups are in columbus?

Quote Originally Posted by bro.bryant View Post
    i'm here in columbus,ga. if any one can let me know if any oc groups are in columbus?
    Check here.

Georgia
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    You mean like this: Ex-Cop Nailed for Stealing Power Tools | NBC Miami Ex-cop arrested by current cops.
    Jackson was fired form the Homestead force about a year ago because of "conduct unbecoming an officer."
    No not like this since he was no longer a cop when they arrested him he was an Ex-cop. I want police officers to start arresting their own instead of just standing by letting them assault and violate citizens civil rights while turning a blind eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    No not like this since he was no longer a cop when they arrested him he was an Ex-cop. I want police officers to start arresting their own instead of just standing by letting them assault and violate citizens civil rights while turning a blind eye.
    That's really not terribly likely.

In Chicago this past week, a couple of Chicago cops were arrested for sexually assaulting an intoxicated woman. As usual there was immediately a chorus of Chicago cops on cue to blame the victim... so many so in fact that the owner of a famous Chicago cop blog started censoring the defenses of the cops since they kind of put the lie to what he says about the LACK of support for bad cops. This was all the MORE ironic, given that he'd JUST posted a story about a lawsuit by a young man who'd been kidnapped and threatened by the now disbanded "SOS" unit of the Chicago PD. The blog owner called it "opportunistic", as though terrorizing a child SHOULDN'T be actionable in civil court if an LEO does it.

There is still overwhelming support among Chicago police for torturer Jon Burge, who was recently convicted of perjury regarding the Chicago PD's organized torture operation during the '70s and '80s.

There is indeed an "us vs. them" attitude, and it originates, primarily on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I understand the charges were eventually dropped, but as a former LEO myself, I don't see the reason for the arrest to begin with. Does a citizen legally carrying his sidearm in accordance with state law actually equate with a wild-eyed maniac shooting up a peaceful business? I think the deputy owes the gentleman an abject, sincere apology.
    It's good to see a former cop, that hasn't been programmed into stupidity by years of service. The world needs more of "you" on the street, and less of all the other guys.

Open Carry in Alabama

I open carry almost all of the time. I live in Alabama that has a lengthy hot season and I find it difficult to hide my H&K USP Compact under my T-shirt and shorts. Let me add, I always carry, it is not a part time thing. I have walked by uniformed police officers (the last time in the Wal*Mart parking lot) and the average comment is usually something like nice pistol, what caliber is it, or How's it going (as they make eye contact with my weapon).

My usual answer is to answer the question appropriately. In the Wal*Mart parking lot I simply said, " If it gets any better someone will try and make it illegal." He laughed and I moved on into the store. The answer to the question about Open Carry, is to always be friendly and if the officer asks to see your ID, your answer should be some version of, No Problem, can I take out my wallet?"

I taught "NoN-Violent Crisis Intervention" to the Jefferson County (Alabama) Sheriff's Department for about 2 years and enjoyed every minute of it. We are losing PO's almost every day and it is only natural for the PO to become nervous when he sees an armed citizen. Be aware that he is only doing his job which includes going home at night to kiss his wife and kids.

So far this year I have been asked twice about my Open Carry, and it both cases I enjoyed the encounter. I could go on, but I don't want to be boring and long winded.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jack_from_AL View Post
    We are losing PO's almost every day and it is only natural for the PO to become nervous when he sees an armed citizen. Be aware that he is only doing his job which includes going home at night to kiss his wife and kids.
    I have exactly the same goals, and I have no nervousness at all when I see an armed citizen.

It's a bad place we are in in our country when we feel like it is acceptable and/or warranted for a police officer to stop and ID a person because they are engaging in legal behavior which is protected by the US Constitution (<- I am speaking of carrying a gun). What next? DNA checks at McDonald's to make sure the kids with you are actually yours and you aren't a kidnapper?

More sanitation workers die every year than police officers, BTW.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast