Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry

The LEO did not know if he was a good guy or a criminal. Asking for ID is not a big deal. When it comes to guns... I'll show my ID and retain my 2A rights with out the hastle.

I do not think arguing with LE or causing the issue to escelate is going to do anything benificial for the rights of law abiding, 2A supporting, citizens.

Show him your ID and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    The LEO did not know if he was a good guy or a criminal. Asking for ID is not a big deal. When it comes to guns... I'll show my ID and retain my 2A rights with out the hastle.

I do not think arguing with LE or causing the issue to escelate is going to do anything benificial for the rights of law abiding, 2A supporting, citizens.

Show him your ID and smile.
    It never ends....
    How does a government issued piece of plastic prover whether a person is good or a criminal??
    Showing ID is not a 2A issue, it is a 4A issue. Yes being forced to provide government plastic while engaging in completely lawful activity is an unlawful search.

People like you who think we should all just go along to get along is how we got to where we are as a country. I'm not just referring to the 2A either.
    You go ahead and show them your ID and smile.
    I'll politely refuse and smile.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    The LEO did not know if he was a good guy or a criminal.
    How about if we tell the truth here. The police had NO REASONABLE or ARTICULABLE SUSPICION (RAS) to indicate that he was committing, about to commit, or had committed a crime.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    No not like this since he was no longer a cop when they arrested him he was an Ex-cop. I want police officers to start arresting their own instead of just standing by letting them assault and violate citizens civil rights while turning a blind eye.
    There are some current ones that were busted too but as they haven't been thru the courts yet, can't say much on them. Several of the ones I know were happy this one and the others were busted. Because it made them look bad too. FDLE does investigate problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    It never ends....
    How does a government issued piece of plastic prover whether a person is good or a criminal??
    Showing ID is not a 2A issue, it is a 4A issue. Yes being forced to provide government plastic while engaging in completely lawful activity is an unlawful search.

People like you who think we should all just go along to get along is how we got to where we are as a country. I'm not just referring to the 2A either.
    You go ahead and show them your ID and smile.
    I'll politely refuse and smile.

Your right, if he wasnt doing anything wrong, they should not have asked in the first place.

Another thing to consider is public opinion, you dont want to turn the general public against CC or OC and have the state tighten restrictions up even more.

In the middle of a restraunt...? Im not going to cause a scene and make the everyone in the place thinkin the wrong things. You KNOW the LEO is NOT going to just say "OK" and walk off when you say No. I would much rather they see me working with LE and being cooperative. That way they might actually feel comfortable sitting at the table next to me with their kids.

Any one of the thoes other people that witness the event may be a business owner. I would hate it to be my actions that encourages them to put no gun stickers on their front doors. Seeing guns in public is not the norm. Untill it is agian, we need to be seting the right examples to make it a comfortable thing for the masses to deal with or it wont happen.

Your right, if he wasnt doing anything wrong, they should not have asked in the first place.

Another thing to consider is public opinion, you dont want to turn the general public against CC or OC and have the state tighten restrictions up even more.

In the middle of a restraunt...? Im not going to cause a scene and make the everyone in the place thinkin the wrong things. You KNOW the LEO is NOT going to just say "OK" and walk off when you say No. I would much rather they see me working with LE and being cooperative. That way they might actually feel comfortable sitting at the table next to me with their kids.

Any one of the thoes other people that witness the event may be a business owner. I would hate it to be my actions that encourages them to put no gun stickers on their front doors. Seeing guns in public is not the norm. Untill it is agian, we need to be seting the right examples to make it a comfortable thing for the masses to deal with or it wont happen.

Unfortunately, he's right . It a politics thing until we get to a point and hopefully we do were our "rights" actually become rights we need to play the game. I'm NOT for police IDing everybody they see carrying and one on one I'd defiantly question the officer as to I'm being harnessed and such. BUT in a situation like the restaurant or in a public place with an audience you need to just say sure no problem give him you CHP and let him go away. If the cop doesn't just go away after that, thats another story. Doesn't matter if it's BS what matters is that the people around see that nothings going to happen to you and that you CAN walk around with a gun on your hip, and yes it's legal and your not getting arrested for it. Arguing 2a rights will PROVE that were a problem to society and like it or not it will create more anti's. Those situations are our best opportunity to educate the public that were regular people just like them and that there safer around us. We shouldn't blow it by being viewed as "The people who carry guns and argue with police". Most people already think that, lets prove them wrong.

8. Yes, of course.... if you want to keep your rights, then don't exercise them. But at least you have them. Kind of like my first haircut in Army basic training. The barber asked me if I wanted to keep my sideburns. I said, "SURE!" So he held an envelope to the side of my head, buzzed my sideburns with the clippers, closed the envelope and said here you go, here's your sideburns.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I dont see it quite like that. If for some reason LE thought something was up and wanted to see my ID and it had nothing to do with my side arm (left it at home that day for instance) Whats the issue with showing it to them? There are other ways to excersize your rights with out being detained to argue the issue. Its not going to change their mind. Need to change their attitudes but the fact is there are so damn many criminal and nut jobs out there.

Im a business owner that lives in a smaller community on the fringe of mass expansion, we dont even have our own police dept. County Sheriff services us. 1 grocery store. Lots of the same people see you in different places. Feed store, restraunt, local park, hardware store, farmers market... How you conduct yourself makes all the difference! So far I have never been questioned about my side arm.

I dont see it quite like that. If for some reason LE thought something was up and wanted to see my ID and it had nothing to do with my side arm (left it at home that day for instance) Whats the issue with showing it to them?
    The "issue" is that bullying NEVER abates through submission. It always ESCALATES. Have you ever seen a bully STOP being a bully when he could get EVERYTHING he wanted by BEING a bully?

When you CONSENT to unlawful demands by LEOs, you encourage that behavior and invite it to escalate.

Don't fight with the police, but don't EVER CONSENT to ANYTHING to which they are not entitled BY LAW.

There are other ways to excersize your rights with out being detained to argue the issue.
    Such as?

When you CONSENT to an illegal warrantless search, it automatically becomes a LEGAL warrantless search. The same with producing ID when the police have no legal authority to compel you to do so.

If the cop wants to falsely arrest me for not doing something I have no duty to do, that's perfectly alright by me. His arrest report is a signed confession of both a crime and a civil tort against me... as well as failure to properly supervise him on the part of the department. I don't view throwing money in my face as much of a punishment.

How you conduct yourself makes all the difference! So far I have never been questioned about my side arm.
    Does it matter how the police conduct themselves?

Since I am from SC, the only place that I can Open Carry is on my own property. I can say that my one run in with Local Law, was professional and my rights were respected.

My Bro-in-law and I were out on Property that belong to us, and we were enjoying a day of Plinking. A farmer hearing the large amount gunfired called the sherrifs dept because he was worried that we were shooting in the direction of his Cows. I had my XDM on my hip, I was practicing drawing from holster, acquiring and two rapid shots. My BIL was sighting in his rifle. They pulled up with Lights going, and "Chirping." We stopped firing and holstered and shouldered our firearms and the sherrif's deputies got out of their car, and approached hands OFF their sidearms, and spoke very politely and started off with a "Good Morning Gentleman" and ended with a "Nice Firearms, Guys. Shoot Safe"

The deputies just wanted to report back to the farmer letting him know that we were not shooting in such a way to put his cows in danger. I know they all can't be that great, and smooth. But there are Law Enforcement Officers that respect individuals rights and at least put on the outward appearance of being comfortable around a law abiding citizen, with a firearm. Even though they are always ready on the inside.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast