Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry

Quit flaming each other or you'll get a temporary vacation. It's like I'm dealing with preschool kids.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun - Stossel's Take Blog - FOXBusiness.com

"A new investigation was launched, and last month the District Attorney's Office decided to charge Fiorino with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police... He's scheduled for trial in July."

Hopefully after spending $10,000 for his court trial, Mr. Fiorino will be judged "not guilty" for legally open carrying his handgun in Philadelphia.

What is IMHO?

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    What is IMHO?
    In My Humble Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would have issue with presenting ID to a LEO that asked. Far beyond your understanding of current activity that you, not an LEO, have no idea about current criminal conditions in your area.
    Unless you live in a state where you must present ID on demand, it's a violation of your rights. The 4th amendment, says:
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th Amendment
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    And the courts have already determined that simply carrying a firearm is not reasonable articulable suspicion for demanding identification.

Having said that, LEOs (and anyone else for that matter) are free to request your ID. And you're free to refuse. On the other hand, if you happen to look like someone they're after, they need to express that the reason they stopped you is NOT because you're packing heat.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun - Stossel's Take Blog - FOXBusiness.com

"A new investigation was launched, and last month the District Attorney's Office decided to charge Fiorino with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police... He's scheduled for trial in July."

Hopefully after spending $10,000 for his court trial, Mr. Fiorino will be judged "not guilty" for legally open carrying his handgun in Philadelphia.
    Equally hopefully, Mr. Fiorino will file a civil suit for the police violating his civil rights. :)

i open carry all the time and i was arrested once while carrying a bag of mcdonalds home to my girlfriend. my gun was holstered and i conducted myself respectfully. the plaincholths officer however did not. i demanded to see his police issue photo id and he showed me his driver's license (what an idiot). he was swearing the whole time and was doing survaillance for a guy who looked nothing like me and then complainted that i almost blew his steakout... and to top it off he looked like a walrus... since it was my word against his (and even his report said i was open carrying on foot) and had an idiot public defender (she claimed you need a license just to own a gun anywhere in the us...) if i took my chances i would have ended up with an f4 so i plead to an m1 charge and got zero jail time, no fine, and no probation. i just lost my job because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by drewthegunut View Post
    i open carry all the time and i was arrested once while carrying a bag of mcdonalds home to my girlfriend. my gun was holstered and i conducted myself respectfully. the plaincholths officer however did not. i demanded to see his police issue photo id and he showed me his driver's license (what an idiot). he was swearing the whole time and was doing survaillance for a guy who looked nothing like me and then complainted that i almost blew his steakout... and to top it off he looked like a walrus... since it was my word against his (and even his report said i was open carrying on foot) and had an idiot public defender (she claimed you need a license just to own a gun anywhere in the us...) if i took my chances i would have ended up with an f4 so i plead to an m1 charge and got zero jail time, no fine, and no probation. i just lost my job because of it.
    I don't know about Ohio, but in many jurisdictions, you can still appeal a plea deal. I would have appealed that one, and gotten a better attorney. You should have contacted some of the many grass roots state organizations, I'd be willing to bet, one or more of them would have come up with a much more intelligent attorney who could have beat the charges.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213