Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitude of Some Police re: Open Carry

A friendly, smile works two ways.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Is he elected or appointed? Either way it sounds like a bad apple that needs removed.
    First the town I live in is about an hour to an hour and a half outside Spokane. I will not say which town because of safety concerns I have. You must realize that some towns are run by the 'good ole boys' and they cover each others backside extreamely well. The chief here is appointed and has kept his job for many years. Yes he is a bad apple but as I said the 'good ole boys' protect each other. Some of us have questioned some of the shenanigins by him and others both in and out of local government and have found ourselves harrassed or threatened or bullied by the chief. The local media outlet refuses to help. Getting anyone willing to stand up is difficult because of fear. I have heard that some have stood up for their rights in court and won but the local media refuses to comment. Second the US codes may be very helpful and thanks for the info as Ill bring this to my lawyers attention when I find the right lawyer. Third Im sorry this post has gotten off the subject of open carry. Yet it does concern open carry and concealed carry as this chief has told me to my face he doesnt think anybody needs to carry a gun. and has harrassed some who do. He has refered to people who like guns as nuts in a derogatory manner. I have a CPL and carry concealed but I also support open carry even though I rarely open carry. By the way I want to move.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    First the town I live in is about an hour to an hour and a half outside Spokane. I will not say which town because of safety concerns I have. You must realize that some towns are run by the 'good ole boys' and they cover each others backside extreamely well. The chief here is appointed and has kept his job for many years. Yes he is a bad apple but as I said the 'good ole boys' protect each other. Some of us have questioned some of the shenanigins by him and others both in and out of local government and have found ourselves harrassed or threatened or bullied by the chief. The local media outlet refuses to help. Getting anyone willing to stand up is difficult because of fear. I have heard that some have stood up for their rights in court and won but the local media refuses to comment. Second the US codes may be very helpful and thanks for the info as Ill bring this to my lawyers attention when I find the right lawyer. Third Im sorry this post has gotten off the subject of open carry. Yet it does concern open carry and concealed carry as this chief has told me to my face he doesnt think anybody needs to carry a gun. and has harrassed some who do. He has refered to people who like guns as nuts in a derogatory manner. I have a CPL and carry concealed but I also support open carry even though I rarely open carry. By the way I want to move.
    Dam this post sounds more like an episode of "In the Heat of the Night" then free wheeling, anything goes Washington State. (NO malice or harm implied) I thought this crap only happen in the Old South.
    I would refer you to the US Attorney Generals Office for your State. He, his office will advise you any possible redress and or investigation that may/could be initiated. Just moving away from the problem does not do anyone any good. Especially those that still live in that jurisdiction. JUST my input, good luck and God Bless.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would have issue with presenting ID to a LEO that asked.
    If it's not REQUIRED by law, he can ASK. I have no duty to comply.

In fact, in Ohio, if I'm not carrying concealed or in a vehicle, not only don't I need to show ID, I don't even need to HAVE ID.

Know the law.
    Obey the law.

You don't have to like the law, merely obey it.

That goes for EVERYBODY, citizen AND LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    NavyLT: Your basic premise is valid but the greatest problem in an open-carry situation is that the LEOs usually do not, in most cases, know the law
    Unacceptable.

Get caught carrying in a liquor serving establishment in Ohio and try to use that excuse. You can repeat it to your cell mates in state prison.

I am expected to ABSOLUTELY know AND obey the law. If I fail to do so, NO cop or court is going to care one iota whether I knew the law or not.

The idea that a "trained" LEO has a LESSER duty to know and obey the law than a 9th grade dropout citizen with NO legal training is legally, logically and morally despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I will stop short of being arrested or taking a bite out of a nightstick.
    You seem to be saying that you believe that if you fail to CONSENT to an UNLAWFUL command by an LEO that you are afraid that you will be the victim of a felonious assault by that LEO.

If that's the case, you have FAR more serious issues than mere demands for identification or open carry issues.

If you consider that a credible possibility regarding the police where you live, you need to be doing something about the POLICE, and YESTERDAY.

Good points Deanimator.

I had a run in with a LEO who tried to violate my 4A through intimidation...it didn't work. Then he tried to have my landlord kick me out (small town), that didn't work either.

What did work was reporting his butt to his CO for his conduct unbecoming of a officer.

I haven't so much as seen a police car even roll down my street since.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Good points Deanimator.

I had a run in with a LEO who tried to violate my 4A through intimidation...it didn't work. Then he tried to have my landlord kick me out (small town), that didn't work either.

What did work was reporting his butt to his CO for his conduct unbecoming of a officer.

I haven't so much as seen a police car even roll down my street since.
    This is why it's SO important to record police encounters where it's lawful to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    This is why it's SO important to record police encounters where it's lawful to do so.
    Fortunately my state is a one party consent state and I had my cell phone recording in my shirt pocket unbeknown to the LEO. My landlord didn't want to come forward on what he said to him, but the audio recording of that night was enough for the CO.

I've been looking into an audio/video setup for my car with a DVR. Not that bad if you know how to set up a system from components and not have to buy a turn key system.

What would be awesome if there was such a thing as a camera that has secure access, that's small enough to wear on a cord around my neck and that I could turn off with a voice command....I can dream. I had time to prepare for that encounter, but I worry about the random encounter on the street. I did find a wrist watch that secretly records audio and can only be accessed by a PC. A bit pricey at 250.00, but when you consider how much it could cost you if say something was planted on you, pretty cheap actually.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I am expected to ABSOLUTELY know AND obey the law. If I fail to do so, NO cop or court is going to care one iota whether I knew the law or not.

The idea that a "trained" LEO has a LESSER duty to know and obey the law than a 9th grade dropout citizen with NO legal training is legally, logically and morally despicable.
    Well said.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast