Boyscouts - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyscouts

Several years ago the church I used to attend asked me if I wanted to be a assistant scout master. I took the job.
    During a summer hiking, camping activity I had taken my carry sidearm with me as usuall. After the leader noticed I was wearing it, I was told because this was a Boy Scout funtion I could not have a firearm around the boys due to safety concerns. I told him I always carried it and he gave me a funny look and asked, "you have carried it at all the scout functions?"...I replied yes. He told me I had to leave it in my vehicle while we were there.
    The area we were in was national forest and we were taking a two mile hike into wilderness area. The grizzly bear precense is very high there and he wants me to leave my firearm in the vehicle?
    I grew up in this area my whole life and know the mountains well. To go anywhere without protection to me is ridiculous whether it's on or off the mountain.
    I told him I was leaving and he could find another asst. scout master. My twelve year old son at the time who was with me even agreed that being on the mountain in griz country without a gun for protection was stupid.
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS...ESPECIALLY OUR SNIPERS

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegRider View Post
    Several years ago the church I used to attend asked me if I wanted to be a assistant scout master. I took the job.
    During a summer hiking, camping activity I had taken my carry sidearm with me as usuall. After the leader noticed I was wearing it, I was told because this was a Boy Scout funtion I could not have a firearm around the boys due to safety concerns. I told him I always carried it and he gave me a funny look and asked, "you have carried it at all the scout functions?"...I replied yes. He told me I had to leave it in my vehicle while we were there.
    The area we were in was national forest and we were taking a two mile hike into wilderness area. The grizzly bear precense is very high there and he wants me to leave my firearm in the vehicle?
    I grew up in this area my whole life and know the mountains well. To go anywhere without protection to me is ridiculous whether it's on or off the mountain.
    I told him I was leaving and he could find another asst. scout master. My twelve year old son at the time who was with me even agreed that being on the mountain in griz country without a gun for protection was stupid.
    Good for you and your son, excellent example you both were setting.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12