Asked to leave Kohl's for OC.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asked to leave Kohl's for OC.

Asked to leave Kohl's for OC.

Well it finally happened. After years of OC with no negative interactions I was asked to disarm and told not to carry in their store.

Time: Approximately 1500

Place: Kohl's

Today I went into Kohl's to exchange a couple online purchases. I walked to the rear of the store to the customer counter. Stood in line for about 10 minutes. Spoke with service desk lady and went to find the item I wanted. Walked around store for about 15 minutes. When I returned to the customer counter there was a man there talking on the phone. He approached me and introduced himself. He then asked if I was law enforcement and when I said no he asked the reason for my carry. He then informed me that they don't allow that there and I would need to exit the store and disarm.

I left the store, placed my firearm inside my vehicle and went back in to further speak with this person. I won't type everything that was said. The conversation did go quite well. He is an ex cop and is now in charge of loss prevention. He explained that the policy was from corporate and not the store. He did seem quite surprised when I informed him that this was the first time I had been asked to leave a business because of my OC.

Anyway, I will be sending a letter to corporate. I will post their response if I get one.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

3. Thumbs down No Way

As an ex-cop he actually thought it was appropriate to ask you to do this. I actually semi-don't buy that he WAS an ex cop. I'm typing from my phone or I would look up any statute in your area. Let us know their response, I can mark Kohl's off my list of places I buy crap I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by concealdcarrier View Post
    I'm typing from my phone or I would look up any statute in your area.
    Why? You will not find any statute that says a private property owner/agent of owner is required to allow firearms on their private property.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    He explained that the policy was from corporate and not the store. He did seem quite surprised when I informed him that this was the first time I had been asked to leave a business because of my OC.

Anyway, I will be sending a letter to corporate. I will post their response if I get one.
    I believe he is a big fat liar. Kohl's has always been a 'we follow state laws' place.

Navy LT is right, I'm pretty sure there are no statutes anywhere that would require a private business to allow you to open carry. And ex-cop or not, the guy is following the rules laid down by corporate, and whether he agrees with them or not, he's paid to enforce them.

I look forward to seeing your response from the Kohl's corporate office.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I believe he is a big fat liar. Kohl's has always been a 'we follow state laws' place.
    If the above is true.. Then I hope you include the gentleman's name in your letter.. Maybe HE will be the next person asked to go outside the store..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Well it finally happened. After years of OC with no negative interactions I was asked to disarm and told not to carry in their store.

Time: Approximately 1500

Place: Kohl's

Today I went into Kohl's to exchange a couple online purchases. I walked to the rear of the store to the customer counter. Stood in line for about 10 minutes. Spoke with service desk lady and went to find the item I wanted. Walked around store for about 15 minutes. When I returned to the customer counter there was a man there talking on the phone. He approached me and introduced himself. He then asked if I was law enforcement and when I said no he asked the reason for my carry. He then informed me that they don't allow that there and I would need to exit the store and disarm.

I left the store, placed my firearm inside my vehicle and went back in to further speak with this person. I won't type everything that was said. The conversation did go quite well. He is an ex cop and is now in charge of loss prevention. He explained that the policy was from corporate and not the store. He did seem quite surprised when I informed him that this was the first time I had been asked to leave a business because of my OC.

Why e-mail when you can call. I'm on the phone with them now. We shall see if they need to be added to the anti list, or if this was a one time thing.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Why e-mail when you can call. I'm on the phone with them now. We shall see if they need to be added to the anti list, or if this was a one time thing.
    That's been an awful long phone call!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    That's been an awful long phone call!
    They gave me the same old line. Our corp policy is a follow all local/state and federal laws pertaining to firearm usage/ownership.

They gave me a e-mail address and a phone number if I wanted to press the issue.

I asked them to start enforcing their own policy's at a store level. Stop discriminating against customers who are FOLLOWING your corp policy and as such they are following all state/local/federal laws.

I said by allowing stores to disregard company policy's by asking customers to leave the stores on the grounds they are in violation of company policy.
    Can open you up to lawsuit's and or a class action suit.

At that point the lady was lost and told me to call the number.

If your going to open carry a firearm. Carry copies of that stores corp policy in your car. You can find the blanket e-mails all over the web, just remove the name at the bottom and add in your own. Or just remove the name all together and keep the e-mail stating policy. Before entering the store grab the letter for the said store.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

11. Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    They gave me the same old line. Our corp policy is a follow all local/state and federal laws pertaining to firearm usage/ownership.
    The problem with that statement is that local/state and federal laws pertaining to firearm usage/ownership say that the owner/agent can prohibit firearms on their private property. When a corporation makes that statement, all they are really saying is we will do whatever the heck we want to do. That statement is no guarantee of the ability to possess firearms on their property.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast