New to OC and CCW want to know if gun can be OC'd loaded if one has a CCW

Thread: New to OC and CCW want to know if gun can be OC'd loaded if one has a CCW

1. New to OC and CCW want to know if gun can be OC'd loaded if one has a CCW

This may be a stupid question for those that understand OC and CCW, but I really don't know about carrying a loaded gun. If I have a CCW for the state that recognizes it can I OC loaded? Seems if I can carry it concealed, ought to be able to open carry loaded. Or are some states different regarding this? Thanks.

It would help if we knew what state you are referring to. In CA, it has to be unloaded to OC. Here in FL, you can't OC at all yet. There's a bill to allow OC for CCW holders.

Each state has different laws regulating open carry. In Ga for instance if you have a Concealed Carry license you can open carry, here in Florida under the current regulations you may only open carry when hunting, fishing, camping or target practicing.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

a1bigtuna appears to be a resident of California. The answer to the question is, it depends entirely in which state you are physically located in at the time. In Washington you can open carry a loaded handgun with no permit required at all - a recognized permit is required to keep it loaded in a vehicle, though, or to conceal the gun on your person (loaded or not).

This might help:
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Hi folks, yes I failed to mention I am from the awful state of Calif. I have a Utah and Fla CCW which seems to be okay in those states as well as Az, NM, and Tx. Which is where I go. So, was wondering if I could carry concealed and loaded, was wondering if I was out in the country if I had to keep it concealed. Just carry it OC loaded. But, don't see any language about that. Know in Calif. it is a bad no no. Just seems if I can carry concealed loaded, and have a permit that is good in the state I am in, that carrying it open and loaded would not be a problem. But, am learning every day that what I think "ain't worth too much". Thanks for the posts.

The map I posted the link to will be a good place to start.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I have been wondering the same question about the state of CT.... From all I have read, I have found it very confusing and evasive... Is anyone here also from CT. who open carry? BTW I have a CT. Pistol Permit

Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willy View Post
    I have been wondering the same question about the state of CT.... From all I have read, I have found it very confusing and evasive... Is anyone here also from CT. who open carry? BTW I have a CT. Pistol Permit
    You can OC as long as you have a permit, but since CT is not usually used to seeing people doing it expect a bumpy ride.

Connecticut Law does not prohibit open carry per CGS 29-35(a) with the exception of State and City of Hartford property and parks.

Letter from the CSP telling troopers they may not arrest a permitted individual for merely displaying a firearm in plain view. HERE

Best way to make people aware is get an OC event together, BBQ etc. Do it on private property and have a copy of the law with you when you do it. The more people see the better. Gotta de-sensitize them. Get people together, do it soon and do it often, MA's crap gun laws are spilling over your border. As someone who is from there trust me you don't want that to happen. Once it does you will NEVER fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    You can OC as long as you have a permit, but since CT is not usually used to seeing people doing it expect a bumpy ride.

Connecticut Law does not prohibit open carry per CGS 29-35(a) with the exception of State and City of Hartford property and parks.

Letter from the CSP telling troopers they may not arrest a permitted individual for merely displaying a firearm in plain view. HERE

Best way to make people aware is get an OC event together, BBQ etc. Do it on private property and have a copy of the law with you when you do it. The more people see the better. Gotta de-sensitize them. Get people together, do it soon and do it often, MA's crap gun laws are spilling over your border. As someone who is from there trust me you don't want that to happen. Once it does you will NEVER fix it.
    Thanks for the advice, You can keep your Mass laws, we don't want them..LOL