Why OC?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why OC??

Beau, Amen Brother !!!! I'm with you on this. This so-called arguement they come up with just has never made any since to me. Since criminals are more on the cowardly side in "REAL LIFE" instead of out right tough guys that would be an eagle eye and spot a gun right out of the gate. Most criminals would either wait till the armed citizen was either gone or would just go on down the road and look for easy prey instead of pushin their luck. There are actually news reports and factual evidence as in confessions and other types of witness reports, unlike all these hypothetical bull that I think so many get from TV and the movies. My sister in a Corrections Officer with the Missouri DOC. She has asked some of the inmates about this very thing and ALL of them told her that "if they KNEW or SAW somebody with a gun BEFORE they tried to commit a crime, than they wouldn't be so stupid as to risk it. An unarmed person is alot easier to assault or rob and there are too many easy prey targets out there to HAVE TO risk their lives tryin it with a person they knew was armed." THAT is from the horse's mouth, not from anti-OC bobbleheads spittin out make believe hypothetics and calling that arguement REAL and backed with loads of FACTS and EVIDENCE which it is not.

As far as your reply to [ B2Tall ], I not sayin it is, BUT, doesn't that sound like the type of comment that ( Treo ) has made several times ???????? I maybe wrong, but it seems to be way too similar.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    As far as your reply to [ B2Tall ], I not sayin it is, BUT, doesn't that sound like the type of comment that ( Treo ) has made several times ???????? I maybe wrong, but it seems to be way too similar.
    I don't know. I'l take your word for it. I guess great minds think alike! :)
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

I must admit that I'm on the fence with this one (to reiterate: I support OC, just don't know if it's for me or not).

A lot of good points have been made with regards to OC. I can definitely see the deterrant factor although it could make you a target if the perp is looking to get a gun as well. And yes, superior reaction time is a big plus too. Still, I can't completely shake the "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" factor that CCing gives you.

On a side bar (and this would really only apply to a random psychopath or maybe somebody with an individual vendetta against you), it would be very easy to murder an OCer and get away with it so long as no witnesses were around to see the actual shooting. Blast the OCer, pull his pistol out and set in on the ground (using something to avoid prints), and tell the cops some simple story about how you were defending yourself. It would all be over in a few seconds and they'd have corroborating evidence.

Anyway....here's another question for you OCers out there: Is there any time when you CC....is there a time when you find it more appropriate or advantageous to CC instead of OC?? I've never OCed before because since the age of 14 I've not lived in a state that permits it.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I must admit that I'm on the fence with this one (to reiterate: I support OC, just don't know if it's for me or not).

A lot of good points have been made with regards to OC. I can definitely see the deterrant factor although it could make you a target if the perp is looking to get a gun as well. And yes, superior reaction time is a big plus too. Still, I can't completely shake the "wolf-in-sheep's-clothing" factor that CCing gives you.

On a side bar (and this would really only apply to a random psychopath or maybe somebody with an individual vendetta against you), it would be very easy to murder an OCer and get away with it so long as no witnesses were around to see the actual shooting. Blast the OCer, pull his pistol out and set in on the ground (using something to avoid prints), and tell the cops some simple story about how you were defending yourself. It would all be over in a few seconds and they'd have corroborating evidence.

Anyway....here's another question for you OCers out there: Is there any time when you CC....is there a time when you find it more appropriate or advantageous to CC instead of OC?? I've never OCed before because since the age of 14 I've not lived in a state that permits it.
    I see the merits of OC and I see the merits of CC. When FL gives us a choice, my actions will be determined by the situation.

We could come up with scenarios all day long, but in reality they aren't likely to happen. If 1 BG grabs an OC'ers gun, well then, that's one. Next? If a CC'er can't draw in time to do any good, well then, that's one. Next? How many thousands of people OC and/or CC every day, 365 days a year. I'll bet its enough to make incidents like the ones we come up with statistically insignificant.

OC or CC...it doesn't really matter. Just carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    IWe could come up with scenarios all day long, but in reality they aren't likely to happen.
    I agree that my scenario is a bit far-fetched but I do have someone with a personal vendetta against me (my GF's ex-husband). This person has made threats against me and vandalized my car in the past. Quite a few people have heard me say that if I ever saw him again I'd make sure he choked down some of his own teeth, so he could conceivably do something to me and use self-defense as an excuse. Not likely but you never know. He does have a criminal history of violence.

Your other points concerning OC/CC are valid as well.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

7. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Yes. When open carry might cause someone I care about to be uncomfortable. For example, my wife has an anti-gun friend. My wife watched her daughter a couple years ago while I took her friend to a black Friday sale at 4:00am to get her daughter a game system. I conceal carry in a situation such as that.

I've also only been married a year, and while most of my wife's family knows about my views of self-defense, when visiting new family members, I conceal carry at their house or if we are meeting them in public. I won't hide my guns in my house though.

I also conceal carry when I enter school property to pick up/drop off my daughter at school, even though I am not required to.

Also, my wife works as a job coach for challenged persons. For example, she would watch a client who worked at Burger King. I went to have lunch with her while she was on the job and I concealed there because of the employment situation, even though not in the employment situation I would open carry there.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

in an open carry state, does your weapon need to be holstered, or could you carry it in the high ready position? If so, what do you think the reaction of other people (including other armed citizens) would be?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    in an open carry state, does your weapon need to be holstered, or could you carry it in the high ready position? If so, what do you think the reaction of other people (including other armed citizens) would be?
    I would say, IMHO, that carrying a handgun any other way except in a holster or pocket would be considered Brandishing. But, I'm not a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I would say, IMHO, that carrying a handgun any other way except in a holster or pocket would be considered Brandishing. But, I'm not a lawyer.
    If that is correct, it doesn't make sense to me. Once a state has gotten over the "people don't want to see people with guns" phobia, it seems dumb to prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying a gun in a ready position. Otherwise it seems open carry is just for show rather than practicality.

11. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    If that is correct, it doesn't make sense to me. Once a state has gotten over the "people don't want to see people with guns" phobia, it seems dumb to prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying a gun in a ready position. Otherwise it seems open carry is just for show rather than practicality.
    Therefore, concealed carry would be even less "practical."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast