Why OC?? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why OC??

OK, I thought I knew what was going on, but now I'm not sure.

I thought nogods was asking if it was legal to walk around with a gun in your hand "in the ready position" because he wanted to do so. (an idea I find to be just a little bit nuts.)

Did I miss something?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    OK, I thought I knew what was going on, but now I'm not sure.

I thought nogods was asking if it was legal to walk around with a gun in your hand "in the ready position" because he wanted to do so. (an idea I find to be just a little bit nuts.)

Did I miss something?
    nogods said that if you are open carrying a gun in a holster you are only doing it for show. He said you have to open carry a gun in the hand in order to do it for protection. Post #19.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    As far as your reply to [ B2Tall ], I not sayin it is, BUT, doesn't that sound like the type of comment that ( Treo ) has made several times ???????? I maybe wrong, but it seems to be way too similar.
    Excuse me?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    nogods said that if you are open carrying a gun in a holster you are only doing it for show. He said you have to open carry a gun in the hand in order to do it for protection. Post #19.
    There is actually a town in Tennesee w/ a local ordinace that specifically states that you may only carry an 1871 Colt's Army or navy pistol and it must be carried in your hand

That said, I OC because even up in the Mountains it occasionally gets hot
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I went back and reread Post #19. I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Faster response to a threat.

Dissuade a threat from engaging in an intended action.
    I prefer to OC because I hope to foster the opinion that OC is normal and the natural right of an American citizen, and CC feels to me like I'm hiding my gun because I'm hiding it because I'm doing something wrong.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Excuse me?
    Apparently I am being accused of plagiarizing your posts.

There is actually a town in Tennesee w/ a local ordinace that specifically states that you may only carry an 1871 Colt's Army or navy pistol and it must be carried in your hand

This is the place I was referring to in my post. Thanks Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    I prefer to OC because I hope to foster the opinion that OC is normal and the natural right of an American citizen, and CC feels to me like I'm hiding my gun because I'm hiding it because I'm doing something wrong.
    Well quit doing stuff wrong and you won't feel that way.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Excuse me?
    Apparently I am being accused of plagiarizing you.

Thanks Treo. I knew there was this ordinance but couldn't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    Well quit doing stuff wrong and you won't feel that way.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

10. Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    I agree with you, except, I would say for me, "human right" vice "American citizen".
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I'm not sure I understand you. You are saying that if you were a crook and you saw a person carrying a gun, your going to attack that person? Doesn't make sense to me.

Most criminals operate on a risk/reward basis. The reward being greater than the risk involved to obtain said reward. Most crooks aren't looking to get into a life and death fight over a wallet or gun.

That said, I would rather be walking down the street OC and have a criminal size me up, see my firearm, and decide the risk is to great. If I am carrying CC I look like any other target.
    I've looked all over for documented cases of an OC'er being accosted for OC by someone other than LE and can't find any. I'm sure it's happened but but the evidence isn't' there to make a justified argument against OC.

As far as being in a place that is targeted for armed robbery:
    It's a statistical fact that banks with armed guards are targeted the least by robbers. Mmmm. Maybe because the risk/reward equation doesn't balance?

When was the last time you heard of crooks running into a convenience store to commit a robbery while there were police inside? Most crooks don't want an armed confrontation. They want an easy payday. If they see someone armed or multiple someones armed on or in the premises they are most likely going to move on.

But what if they don't case the place and just rush in?

It's my theory that unless your standing gun side to the door, with your arm not blocking your pistol, your not going to be noticed right away. You will probably just get pushed to the ground as they run right by you to get to their prize. Chances are you are in an isle or in a position to take cover and decide whether to engage or not. If you are forced, or decide, to engage would you rather have instant access to your weapon or would you rather have to go through layers of clothing first?

I OC because:
    1. It is more comfortable.

2. While OC I can draw, aim , hit in under a second. I can do this while moving and one handed. Try that with CC.

3. I have nothing to hide. I am a gun owner and PROUD!

4. It's a way to educate. I have had some great conversations with people about carry rights with people who were curious about my OC.

5. I believe it's a deterrent to the majority of criminals. (Police not included.)
    I used to be a Guard/Driver for a Nationally known Armoured Car Company. Our Company Safety Officer told us many times that if armed robbers were going to hit one of our Trucks, they would do so with weapons already drawn and quite possibly firing at us as they did so. He went on to say that our weapons were basically just cosmetic, and to keep them holstered. Our weapons were there only to keep the honest people honest. I still believe what B2Tall said to be relevant - If your in a store and a BG walks in and sees your OC'ing you will be the first target, I don't care what you've seen on YouTube!!!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast