Why OC??
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why OC??

Why OC??

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I looked around a bit and couldn't find much on the subject.....

I support OC but my question is, aside from the convenience of not having to worry about a CCed gun being exposed, what benefit is there to OC instead of CC??

I don't plan on doing much (if any) OCing myself. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Faster response to a threat.

Dissuade a threat from engaging in an intended action.

In the end, it's up to each person to decide how they want to carry. OC is not for me (except at work), but just because it isn't doesn't doesn't mean that's the way it should be for everyone.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Open carry allows wider choices and greater convenience in many situations. Open carry would allow one to carry a sidearm they may not be able to comfortably conceal. For instance a 4'11" 100lb female may be carrying a Ruger LCP .380 because she can't easily conceal the M&P 40 she prefers.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Wider range of choices (both gun & holster)
    Convenience (easy off & on)

Faster response & much BIGGER deterant

I would also add;
    It's a "right" afforded to us by the Constitution! (Regardless of what some of our liberal dumba$$ legislators believe)

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Dissuade a threat from engaging in an intended action.
    I can definitely see this if there are several OCers that a BG might have to contend with like in a private gun store where all the employees are OCing, but if you're the perp and a see a lone OCer, aren't you going to focus all of your attention on him/her first?? That's certainly what I'd do.

To me it kind of works in the same way I'd approach a defensive situation: If I'm facing multiple guns then it's highly unlikely I'd draw, but if I'm only facing one then I'd feel more confortable drawing. Ditto for the BGs......multiple OCers and they probably keep walking.....a lone OCer and the BG gets in a position of advantage before drawing.

To each his own but I'd rather CC and have an element of surprise on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Wider range of choices (both gun & holster)
    Convenience (easy off & on)
    Very true.

The FAKE argument of "element of surprise" is total bs........ Surprise is NOT a defensive tactic

Criminals are looking for easy victims, not armed ones............

By open carrying you are a deterrent to criminals, NOT a target.

I can see many reasons for OC.

And then there is this type of situation.

Armed man raises alarm downtown | SeacoastOnline.com

Even though CC and OC are considered by our circle to be a Constitutional right, not all of the public agree. Every situation relys on your common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I can definitely see this if there are several OCers that a BG might have to contend with like in a private gun store where all the employees are OCing, but if you're the perp and a see a lone OCer, aren't you going to focus all of your attention on him/her first?? That's certainly what I'd do.

To me it kind of works in the same way I'd approach a defensive situation: If I'm facing multiple guns then it's highly unlikely I'd draw, but if I'm only facing one then I'd feel more confortable drawing. Ditto for the BGs......multiple OCers and they probably keep walking.....a lone OCer and the BG gets in a position of advantage before drawing.

To each his own but I'd rather CC and have an element of surprise on my side.
    I'm not sure I understand you. You are saying that if you were a crook and you saw a person carrying a gun, your going to attack that person? Doesn't make sense to me.

Most criminals operate on a risk/reward basis. The reward being greater than the risk involved to obtain said reward. Most crooks aren't looking to get into a life and death fight over a wallet or gun.

That said, I would rather be walking down the street OC and have a criminal size me up, see my firearm, and decide the risk is to great. If I am carrying CC I look like any other target.
    I've looked all over for documented cases of an OC'er being accosted for OC by someone other than LE and can't find any. I'm sure it's happened but but the evidence isn't' there to make a justified argument against OC.

As far as being in a place that is targeted for armed robbery:
    It's a statistical fact that banks with armed guards are targeted the least by robbers. Mmmm. Maybe because the risk/reward equation doesn't balance?

When was the last time you heard of crooks running into a convenience store to commit a robbery while there were police inside? Most crooks don't want an armed confrontation. They want an easy payday. If they see someone armed or multiple someones armed on or in the premises they are most likely going to move on.

But what if they don't case the place and just rush in?

It's my theory that unless your standing gun side to the door, with your arm not blocking your pistol, your not going to be noticed right away. You will probably just get pushed to the ground as they run right by you to get to their prize. Chances are you are in an isle or in a position to take cover and decide whether to engage or not. If you are forced, or decide, to engage would you rather have instant access to your weapon or would you rather have to go through layers of clothing first?

I OC because:
    1. It is more comfortable.

2. While OC I can draw, aim , hit in under a second. I can do this while moving and one handed. Try that with CC.

3. I have nothing to hide. I am a gun owner and PROUD!

4. It's a way to educate. I have had some great conversations with people about carry rights with people who were curious about my OC.

5. I believe it's a deterrent to the majority of criminals. (Police not included.)
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast