Open Carry in FL...dead for this year! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Carry in FL...dead for this year!

SGB, I think you and I need to agree to disagree.

The bottom line is that OC is dead for this year. The reason was overzealous OC advocates. Maybe next year. But I think that, without some kind of public awareness campaign, OC is years away in FL.

I agree we'll have to agree to disagree, I think the Florida Sheriffs association and the Retail Sales Association lobbying against the bill had a heck of a lot more to do with the failure of Open carry than did these alleged phone calls. Years away? Maybe, maybe not, we'll see next year.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I've heard from many of my gun buddies that this bill is on the governors desk. Is this true? Could this bill still be alive and well? If you look at the status it is still moving thru the steps. Could some one clarify for me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    I've heard from many of my gun buddies that this bill is on the governors desk. Is this true? Could this bill still be alive and well? If you look at the status it is still moving thru the steps. Could some one clarify for me? Thanks
    The bill IS on the Gov's desk, but the OC provision was removed. Now, it will no longer be a crime to "briefly" expose your weapon, whether intentional or not. Even if he doesn't sign it, it still becomes law on the 19th, unless he vetoes it.

Thats what I thought. I read that it was amended but after that I quit looking at the status. So as of today it's ok to inadvertently show your gun? Not that I will be careless with concealing. I will just feel better if the grip pops out when I exit my truck.

Yes. The key phrase is that the exposure must be brief and it cannot be done in anger or to intimidate. That means you can take your gun from your car and put it on in full view. The exposure, while intentional, is brief and not done in anger or to intimidate.

Today is May 24, 2011. It should be law by now. comments welcome!
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Scott signed sb 234 today.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12