Philadelphia Fiorino Charged for Open Carry, July Court - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia Fiorino Charged for Open Carry, July Court

Quote Originally Posted by Swinokur View Post
    Not OT at all. We are discussing the PPD's treatment of a law abiding citizen exercising his constitutional right, or a lack of them, depending on your perspective.

The pic is a dead squirrel I posed 2 GI Joe action figures

sick yes?
    No,no! You weren't off topic, I was! And you're a twisted individual, and I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type. I thought it was people, and some kind of, I don't know, giant Central American Aardvark. Oh heavens. I have to step away now....

Yes That's what we do with them.

twisted indeed.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Swinokur View Post
    This is a civil rights issue, plain and simple. The fact that it involves firearms is incidental to the issue IMO. The Philly cops are no different than Bull Connor and the fire hoses of Birmingham. The 2A will hopefully be ruled a core right and therefore it will be a right that can be regulated but will have to be treated in a better fashion that the PPD seems to be doing while they decide if you are allowed to do something legal..
    This incident is not about the 2nd Amendment, though. It is ENTIRELY a 4th Amendment issue. The police seized the person of Fiorino with no RAS of a crime being committed. Just because a gun is involved does not necessarily make it a 2nd Amendment issue. If the legality of carrying the gun was in question, then it would become a 2nd Amendment issue. However, since the legality of carrying the gun is not in question, it becomes a 4th Amendment violation in that PPD detained a person without his consent only because he was engaging in perfectly legal activity.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    At the risk of being excommunicated by NavyLT, I tend to lean more towards the BC1 side on this one.
    I actually agree with about 99% of what you posted. What I don't agree with is BC1's attitude that a person should not engage in legal activities that they have a right to engage in because it might elicit a negative response from the police.

We don't live in a police state (yet). If we all followed BC1's advice, we would live in a police state. I don't cater to what police might like or dislike. I don't give a rat's butt if the police don't particularly care for an action I am performing. I am not going to adjust the actions in my normal everyday life to suit what police like or dislike.

That being said, I don't see the need to engage in flamboyant actions in an attempt to catch the attention of the police either. My incident with a cop with a bad attitude happened simply because I was eating dinner in a restaurant at 6:00ish PM. That's what normal American's do. I just happened to be wearing a gun in a holster with a fastened retention strap on my belt. I am not going to change that behavior just because a cop doesn't like it because someone calls 911.

I should not be responsible for preventing people from calling 911 simply because I am doing the same thing that is expected of normal everyday Americans to do - eat dinner quietly in a restaurant at 6:00 pm. If they don't like the inanimate object that I am wearing on my belt then tough s&%t. And if the cops can't uphold their responsibility to PROTECT my 4th Amendment rights, then they shouldn't be cops. But I am not going to take responsibility and change my life habits because they can't abide by the 4th Amendment that they are sworn to uphold.

We should be outraged that the minority of these types of police officers are using our tax dollars that are paying their salaries to harrass law abiding citizens when they are getting paid to protect and to serve and obey the same laws that you and I have to. It doesn't matter if there is some guy out there poking at them, they are paid to be professionals, and professionals would simply ignore such behavior until the behavior crosses the line into being illegal.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Yes, that's right. Just move to the back of the bus like they tell you to. Get away from that lunch counter. Don't drink at that water fountain. Don't cause a commotion. They're just doing their job.
    And don't forget to fork over your life savings to an attorney.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    And don't forget to fork over your life savings to an attorney.
    Somebody's got to stand up for the Constitution. You aren't going to.

That's the problem with this concept we call freedom... it's just going to piss off some people.

Also, I didn't notice this paragraph at first look.

"A new investigation was launched, and last month the District Attorney's Office decided to charge Fiorino with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police... He's scheduled for trial in July."

K, so, the way I see it, it WAS a Second Amendment issue. Right up until the time the police department was informed, by their own legal council, that Fiorino was within his rights. At that point they should have just backed down. Pursuing this is ludicrous, and DOES make it not only a Fourth Amendment, but also a First Amendment issue.

"Reckless endangerment" is a serious stretch. And "disorderly conduct" just makes me want to say some very bad words. Yeah, he was being a butthead, but he cooperated fully. He didn't even get half as sassy as I would have.

"When police break the law, there is no law. Just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack

This is a civil rights issue, plain and simple. The fact that it involves firearms is incidental to the issue IMO. The Philly cops are no different than Bull Connor and the fire hoses of Birmingham. The 2A will hopefully be ruled a core right and therefore it will be a right that can be regulated but will have to be treated in a better fashion that the PPD seems to be doing while they decide if you are allowed to do something legal..
    Hey now careful with the Alabama comments, some people on this forum seem to think that black people registering to vote is "just asking for trouble".

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast