I open carried to the movie theater
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I open carried to the movie theater

I open carried to the movie theater

Today we decided to go to our local celebration cinema and go watch Pirates of the Caribbean. Our celebration cinema has well over 2500 seats and in Michigan, that is a "pistol free zone" UNLESS you have a valid cpl permit, and even then you have to open carry because you cannot carry concealed in a pistol free zone. I decided I would man up and carry openly into the theater even though I was very nervous. I was not breaking any laws but other people did not know that. Im sure I will do it again, but I do carry a copy of the state Statute on it just in case. Thoughts?

P.S..........Pirates of the caribbean was not that good. Should have seen the Hangover 2 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    Thoughts?
    The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    Today we decided to go to our local celebration cinema and go watch Pirates of the Caribbean. Our celebration cinema has well over 2500 seats and in Michigan, that is a "pistol free zone" UNLESS you have a valid cpl permit, and even then you have to open carry because you cannot carry concealed in a pistol free zone.
    I am curious though, why do you think that a person has to have a valid CPL in order to open carry at the theater. The applicable statute is:

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined; exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties.

Sec. 5o.

(1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:

(f) An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals or that has a sign above each public entrance stating in letters not less than 1-inch high a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals.
    Where in that statute does it prohibit a person without a CPL from open carrying at the theater or any other "pistol free zone" listed in the statute?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

You might become the recipiant of another one of kelcarry's growlings. A couple of months back he growled at NavyLT for OCing at the local Applebee's.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    You might become the recipiant of another one of kelcarry's growlings. A couple of months back he growled at NavyLT for OCing at the local Applebee's.
    Was it because I open carried at Applebees, or because I <gasp> had a beer with dinner while doing so? Along the same lines, it's probably not the open carrying at the theater that is the real problem, until you eat popcorn, too. :-)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Was it because I open carried at Applebees, or because I <gasp> had a beer with dinner while doing so? Along the same lines, it's probably not the open carrying at the theater that is the real problem, until you eat popcorn, too. :-)
    Who knows, this is the same kelcarry who adamatly insists that I am obviously hostile towards SC LEO's because on a thread about a year ago I explained to some other poster that caneguns fall under NFA rules as "Any Other Weapon." I couldn't quite follow kelcarry's logic in either case.

How DARE you exercise your Constitutional Rights! You REBEL!!!! You are giving ALL OF US CONCEAL CARRIERS A BAD NAME!!!!! Because of YOU, new UnConstitutional "laws" are going to be passed, and it will ruin "it" for all........

Just kidding, of course...... but if you read SOME of the posts by a few on this forum, you would think it was the truth....(it is to them in their fantasy world)

I am curious though, why do you think that a person has to have a valid CPL in order to open carry at the theater. The applicable statute is:
    Where in that statute does it prohibit a person without a CPL from open carrying at the theater or any other "pistol free zone" listed in the statute?

Perhaps MCL 750.234d is the statute the OP is referencing?

The more you do it, the easier it gets.
    The more you do it, the more ticked off you get(at least on the inside, gotta keep composure) when someone tries to give you grief or tries to deny that right.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

11. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Perhaps MCL 750.234d is the statute the OP is referencing?
    Could be. But how about this:
    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (d) A theatre.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    So, let's say Joe Citizen open carrying a firearm purchases a ticket for a movie at the theater. There are no gun buster signs. Or let's say there might even be a sign that says "No Concealed Weapons in accordance with MCL 28.425o".

Since Joe Citizen bought his ticket, openly carrying a firearm, and the theater issued that ticket, while Joe Citizen was openly carrying, could it not be argued that at that point the owner of the theater or agent thereof gave him permission to enter with his openly carried firearm?

But, yes, without that particular argument a CPL would be required to enter a theater, and if the theater seated more than 2,500 the firearm would have to be open carried. Thank you for the additional information. :-)

P.S. What about a resident of Vermont? Any resident of Vermont is "licensed" by Vermont to carry a concealed weapon automatically if they are not prohibited from owning that weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast