1 33.33%
  • Unclear

1 33.33%
  • Horrible

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Mississippi

Cool Open Carry in Mississippi

Does anyone know the actual law for MS open carry? I have a "Firearms Permit" as issued by the State Troopers office (civillian). But, I don't know what the deal is because some people say that it's completely fine, and some say it's illegal. The PO's around here are definitely not sure of most of the laws because it is a college town and they just don't want trouble; however, I would like to know the actual WRITTEN law. But, Mississippi's law doesn't CLEARLY describe open carry, they only cover concealed.... help..??

Mississippi Open Carry

Call 601-987-1212 ask for the gun permit dept. They will answer and point you in the right direction.

Mississippi Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy615 View Post
    Does anyone know the actual law for MS open carry? I have a "Firearms Permit" as issued by the State Troopers office (civillian). But, I don't know what the deal is because some people say that it's completely fine, and some say it's illegal. The PO's around here are definitely not sure of most of the laws because it is a college town and they just don't want trouble; however, I would like to know the actual WRITTEN law. But, Mississippi's law doesn't CLEARLY describe open carry, they only cover concealed.... help..??
    OpenCarry.org is a pretty good resource for these questions.

MS page is here: OpenCarry.org - State Information For Mississippi

Excerpt:

Summary

Mississippi is an open carry state and the state constitution appears to guarantee this right. Further, localities are generally preempted under state law from enacting local gun control ordnances that might restrict open carry. However, Miss. Code 97-37-1 & 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi.

Read the entire OpenCarry page--lots more info.

Hope this helps,

Love it a handgun in a holster is concealed, so do you carry it in a clear plastic bag around your neck???? LOL

holstered carry

That's what I'm saying.... Does that count as concealed for my permit haha?

Send an email to the state attorneys office asking them to cite statutes and clarify law, keep that email

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy615 View Post
    That's what I'm saying.... Does that count as concealed for my permit haha?
    There is no statutory requirement to conceal a firearm in Mississippi. You won't find a statute that declares open carry to be legal, because in our legal system in America, statutes define what is illegal, not what is legal. So, any action that is not declared to be illegal by statute, is by default legal. That is the situation in Mississippi and other "open carry" states. The lack of a statute making it illegal to open carry cause open carry to be legal.

In Mississippi, the courts have decided in their infinite wisdom that a holster partially conceals a firearm. Therefore a permit which allows the firearm to be concealed is required to carry a firearm in a holster, whether or not the holster containing the firearm is plainly visible or concealed.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    In Mississippi, the courts have decided in their infinite wisdom that a holster partially conceals a firearm. Therefore a permit which allows the firearm to be concealed is required to carry a firearm in a holster, whether or not the holster containing the firearm is plainly visible or concealed.
    Can I just tape it to my shirt next to my CCW badge?

Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45
    Ruger LCR .357
    Remington 870 Tactical 12 ga

Quote Originally Posted by Lavon View Post

Sorry, I'm new to the site... and new to my permit, and new to carrying in general. I turned 21 in November and didn't get my permit until a few months ago. Only been carrying for a little while, just wanna make sure I don't get ********* for something stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast