opinions on open carry - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: opinions on open carry

1. Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    FORCED into deciding to use your weapon by someone else? I think you need stop carrying a weapon until you can overcome this need to do what others want you to do with YOUR weapon..... WHY do you care what the "anti's" think? Why even consider what someone who refuses to protect themselves (and wants YOU disarmed too) has to say?
    Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps my choice of words was wrong as I won't be FORCED to do anything and I don't care what anyone thinks.

I just mentioned a scenario where someone might be trying to influence one ("Hey, you got a gun, use it"!). Perhaps it's even a situation where the use of deadly force would not be justified.

Has it ever happened? Probably not. I hadn't seen it addressed before
    so maybe it's not a valid concern....

Rick,

2A - Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by BeauRyker View Post
    Thanks Axe. You pissed me off enough to get me over to the opencarry board. Lots of good stuff over there. Might be re-thinking things a bit. If I had the time, I'd give you about 2 pages of examples you asked for, but I just don't care to spend that much time on you.
    Have always open carried on the ranch, since I was about 10 years old. Legal or illegal. Just something people have done down there forever. Thanks to the wife, I'm in the suburbs now. Lotta difference in here and the border. Unfamiliar territory, and I'm trying to gradually fit in with the slickers.
    Anyways, your smartass might have actually gotten me to re-evaluate a bit.
    I would sincerely appreciate ANY proof you could give that you were right that "the element of surprise" is a DEFENSIVE tactic, and I believe there are MANY others who would appreciate those 2 full pages of it also.....

BTW, I am not a smarta$$ I am an a$$hole, yes, there is a difference... I just dont give a rip if I tick someone off.... the truth hurts you know.....

I have yet to have an issue with OC. I have been in banks and everywhere else. Never a negative comment. I went
    into a coffee shop with six officers in there and not a word.

5. Open or Concealed

If you open carry you deter crime you accept the fact someone my call the cops on you but if your state ok's it so be it. I never carry open don't like the eyes on me If I was somewhere rual maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    B2, you know damn good and well that your example of POLICE officers being targeted is outright wrong... they were NOT targeted because they were open carrying, they were targeted because they were cops....

Your stance/argument is so weak you have to resort to bull-crap/smoke and mirrors to try to support it... Pathetic
    Thus we "put to rest" the deterrent factor! Iffin the BG is not afraid to "pop a cop", what does that tell you about obviously "armed citizens"? Just sayin'.

I would consider B2's "input" a legitimate observation.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Thus we "put to rest" the deterrent factor! Iffin the BG is not afraid to "pop a cop", what does that tell you about obviously "armed citizens"? Just sayin'.

I would consider B2's "input" a legitimate observation.

GG
    Thanks GG. I don't see every post due to my ignore list.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

8. It's getting deep in here. Time to break out the hip waders....

Why do you think cops wear uniforms, badges, and are openly armed in America? It's called deterrence. Something you really should research sometime and see how deterrence really works.

If there was no deterrent value to the uniform, badge and gun, then cops should all be plainclothes and conceal carry and watch for a criminal to commit the act then jump out and yell, "SURPRISE!"

Why do alarm companies put signs in front yards? It's called deterrence.

Why do cars with alarms have flashing lights in the dashboard? It's called deterrence.

Why do banks and armored car companies hire uniformed security guards and drive visibly armored vehicles? It's called deterrence.

Why do these companies do this? Surely they can afford research and development teams, right? Do you think those research and develop teams came back and said, "We need to use the element of surprise?"

If the "element of surprise" is so successful, then why don't armored car companies transport their money in Volkswagen buses instead of making it a point to display the armor on their vehicles so prominently? Why not just have a covert team of guards follow the Volkswagen bus and when a robbery happens jump out and yell, "SURPRISE!" It's called deterrence.

Anybody that is in the security business knows the value of HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence, and do you think the big companies would continue to use HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence if it wasn't effective? Why don't Brinks and ADT rely on the "element of surprise" instead of HIGHLY VISIBLE deterrence? I guess GG and B2Tall must know better than companies like Brinks and ADT....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Well.... we ALL know of your "take" on the value of deterrance, L/Cdr. I believe the point of the discussion hinged on the fact that it doesn't always work. It's kind of like the observation that locked doors just tend to keep the honest..... honest. So, all the "show of arms" here, there and everywhere, by LEO's, Armed Guards, Civilians, et al, could (and probably does) keep the honest honest (and probably makes some of the BG wannabees reconsider their area of operations) BUT.... there is always going to be those who armed deterrence will only cause either immediate "threat reduction" actions or a change in target priority.

So how does or would a street mugging "go down" if a large, even a majority of citizens OC'ed? Simple, work in teams, bushwack the "carrier" (easy to spot in advance) from a safe distance. Once you drop the "carrier" you simply relieve him/her of whatever your perceived loot was to be, plus a nice gun to pawn off on the secondary market. (Now THAT'S what I call a "target of opportunity"!)

You see, determined BGs alter their tactics to suit ongoing conditions. One of the reasons why we now see "home invaders" wearing "vests" and/or cop uniforms lately. They are NOT completely stupid. They have survival instincts just like the rest of us.

Speaking of the value of deterrence...... seems to me that the best, greatest military, intelligence network on the planet didn't stop a group of crazies from plowing hijacked aircraft into a couple of large buildings a few years back. (Talk about "In your face!)

Our reaction/defensive measures? Two wars, an entire multi Billion Dollar Homeland Security Department, and an exhaustive airport screening process costing Billions (and another Government Worker Union to deal with). Not a bad "return" on minimum investment from the Muzzie POV, IMHO.

ANY visible defensive measure can be outsmarted/out thought/circumvented over time.... with appropriate planning. Exactly why the best defence is a good offence.

But, then again, I could care less either way. You cover your butt the best you can your way, I'll do the same for my butt, my way.

Pax prosecutus maximus!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

So how does or would a street mugging "go down" if a large, even a majority of citizens OC'ed? Simple, work in teams, bushwack the "carrier" (easy to spot in advance) from a safe distance. Once you drop the "carrier" you simply releave him/her of whatever your perceived loot was to be, plus a nice gun to pawn off on the secondary market. (Now THAT'S what I call a "target of opportunity"!)

You see, determined BGs alter their tactics to suit ongoing conditions. One of the reasons why we now see "home invaders" wearing "vests" and/or cop uniforms lately. They are NOT completely stupid. They have survival instincts just like the rest of us.

GG
    Ahhhh, the "open carrier being targeted" falsehood again.....

Neat little scenario that has been continuously spewed by those like you who dont especially like open carry...... BUT NEVER BACKED UP WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN YOUR "STORIES" of "how it COULD happen", and never, ever any proof that it actually happens..........

If you (you being those who spout this "story" all the time) did have any proof, you would be rubbing our (those who support open carry) faces in it each time we challenge you to provide it...... Frankly it is getting quite tiring to keep asking for this non-existent proof and never getting it, why dont you anti-open carry people just give it up? because we who live in reality WILL NOT LET YOU GET AWAY with spreading falsehoods and rumors without pointing it out to all how un-supported/false your theory actually is.........
    Me?, I'll stick to the real world....... and carry open whenever I want (which is almost 90% of the time) and keep from getting robbed or bothered by those who actually are looking to rob someone....

11. Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Speaking of the value of deterrence...... seems to me that the best, greatest military, intelligence network on the planet didn't stop a group of crazies from plowing hijacked aircraft into a couple of large buildings a few years back. (Talk about "In your face!)
    According to your theories, though, the 9/11 terrorists should have attacked aircraft carriers. I wonder why they didn't? Take out the biggest threat first, right? Don't go after the unarmed victims, go after the big guns, right? Isn't that what you say will happen?

Deterrence isn't going to work every time. But if it works just once, for me and my family, it's worth it. And the odds are much, much greater that a crime will be deterred by a visible show of ability to use defensive force against the odds that it will incite a crime. I'll stick with odds in my favor.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast