9 mm vs 40
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 mm vs 40

9 mm vs 40

My son and I have been having some discussions lately about using a 9 mm vs using a 40. he likes the 40 because of it's stopping power. I think the 9 mm hollow points supply enough stopping power to get you out of any situation. Plus with 9 mm, the cost of shooting is quite a bit less. What is the opion of this forum?

3. If you hit what you are aiming at and nobody but you and the coroner will know the difference.

And pistol rounds that are less than a .454Casull don't have ANY 'stopping power'.

4. I carry a XD-40sc. The cost of shooting was a bit high so I bought a 9mm drop in barrel. I use the same mags (not recommended) its ok for the range but wouldn't trust the feeding during a fire fight. As soon as I find some real cheap 9mm mags I will get them. And the 9mm mags fit right in without any problems. So if you want the best of both worlds.

5. In all the gun forums, shooters have written millions upon millions of words on this very topic. You could spend your entire summer reading the threads and end up no more ahead than you are right now.

The only interesting fact not already noted here is this (I'm working from memory, so more informed posters can feel free to correct or elaborate on this):

Years ago, around the time that agencies were switching from revolvers to semi-automatics, a gun fight left the FBI seriously outgunned. I think they were using .38SP, which had trouble making their way through windshields. The 10mm cartridge was developed for them. They complained that it was too "hot". Smith and Wesson cranked it back a bit and introduced the 40 S&W.

Bottom line? Your shooting accuracy is much more important than using 9 or 40. 9 is a lot cheaper.

Now, t's time for the .45 advocates to enter and say that both 9 and 40 are garbage.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

Talking

I thumb my nose at these little weenie cartridges! Bigger is better! Haha!

Just kidding - mostly. It's always a trade-off. "Stopping power" vs magazine capacity. Effectiveness vs economy. Heavy gun vs. light gun. So on and so forth.

Most of this stuff you can calculate on your own - but I thought you might want a source for ballistics of these various rounds. There's some really cool high-speed videography of shots into ballistic gel too:

Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

It's all a matter of what you shoot better.

The larger calibers are more reliable at reaching the "Off Buttons."

That being said, a 9mm through the heart, that clips the great vessels and lodges in the posterior of the spinal canal after severing the cord, will drop them better than a 45 to empty lung space.

Find what you shoot best and train hard!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    If you hit what you are aiming at and nobody but you and the coroner will know the difference.

And pistol rounds that are less than a .454Casull don't have ANY 'stopping power'.
    Agreed, but carrying one around as a CCW would be kind of tough

1/2 mass times velocity squared.

Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    In all the gun forums, shooters have written millions upon millions of words on this very topic. You could spend your entire summer reading the threads and end up no more ahead than you are right now.

The only interesting fact not already noted here is this (I'm working from memory, so more informed posters can feel free to correct or elaborate on this):

Years ago, around the time that agencies were switching from revolvers to semi-automatics, a gun fight left the FBI seriously outgunned. I think they were using .38SP, which had trouble making their way through windshields. The 10mm cartridge was developed for them. They complained that it was too "hot". Smith and Wesson cranked it back a bit and introduced the 40 S&W.

Bottom line? Your shooting accuracy is much more important than using 9 or 40. 9 is a lot cheaper.

Now, t's time for the .45 advocates to enter and say that both 9 and 40 are garbage.
    No garbage comment here, I have 3 9mms, 3 40s and 2 45s, and carry them all, one at a time of course, as to which I prefer, it honestly depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing that day, and if you are reasonably good with them, it really does not matter what your carrying for self defence

As others have already said.....PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. It doesn't matter whether you carry a .22 pocket pistol or a .454 hand cannon if you don't practice...as often as possible
    NYMoose

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast