Under 21 open carry in AZ? Is it legal if you own the gun?

Thread: Under 21 open carry in AZ? Is it legal if you own the gun?

1. Under 21 open carry in AZ? Is it legal if you own the gun?

I was curious if owning/open carrying a handgun is legal in the state of Arizona if you are under 21. Any help on this would be great. Thnx~

From what I can tell on Handgunlaw.us you must be 21 to carry in AZ. OC or CC, with or without a permit
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

In AZ you have to be 21 or older to legally purchase a handgun. Not sure on technicalities of receiving one as a gift.

You can own a long gun at 18 and I don't see why you couldn't carry that but I don't think that is the direction your question was going.

Quote Originally Posted by Adox View Post
    In AZ you have to be 21 or older to legally purchase a handgun. Not sure on technicalities of receiving one as a gift.
    Incorrect. By Federal law a person has to be 21 for an FFL to transfer a handgun to them. The legal age to purchase a handgun from a private party in Arizona is 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    From what I can tell on Handgunlaw.us you must be 21 to carry in AZ. OC or CC, with or without a permit
    Incorrect. A person 18 years old can open carry in Arizona. They must be 21 to conceal carry.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I know NavyLCDR is right on the purchase. In all states you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a Federally Licensed Dealer (FFL) but private sales are regulated by state law.

It also appears he is right about being 18, now that I have looked at actual AZ law. I think two statutes most on point are ARS 13-3111 and ARS 13-3109, both of which deal with minors, or those under 18.

My apologies for the previous incorrect information.

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us

I also meant to check opencarry.org A good place for open carry info!

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Arizona

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us

Thanks NavyLCDR. I didn't even think about the distinction between FFL and private, my purchases have all been through FFLs.

Thank you, Fallguy, for posting the Arizona statutes. The Federal age limits are in 18 USC 922 (b)(1) for FFL transfer and 18 USC 922 (x) for private transactions and carrying handguns:

United States Code: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

It seems most states have taken their law about juveniles and handguns almost word for word from 18 USC 922(x).

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us