Open Carry Opinions - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 88

Thread: Open Carry Opinions

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    553
    I've been carrying non-Open. And to be honest, I actually for the first time this past Sunday Open Carried. My jacket did in away conceal to a point. I was still covered either way IF I was confronted by an officer because I had my permit. Why I didn't 100% Open Carry, I don't know. Maybe the jacket I was wearing?? It is only 18 degree's over here ya know. Maybe in a Small town (like the one I live in) Open Carry is acceptable because everyone has been around guns. Go in the Bigger Towns and people react differently because They have no clue.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Um yes. Anyone who does carry openly without an active retention device is just asking to have their gun snatched, in my opinion. If you're going to spend several hundred dollars on a firearm, why wouldn't anyone spend just as much to protect their investment? Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    I have open carried for nearly a year now and just recently converted to a holster with an active retention device (yesterday as a matter of fact.) However; it wasn't because of any of the reasons you mentioned. I sat down in a booth at a restaurant and my grip caught the edge and nearly dumped the gun out of my holster. Someone grabbing my gun ranks pretty low on my carry concerns.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Um yes. Anyone who does carry openly without an active retention device is just asking to have their gun snatched, in my opinion. If you're going to spend several hundred dollars on a firearm, why wouldn't anyone spend just as much to protect their investment? Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    I'm going to be bluntly honest here, and possibly offensive to some people's sensitivities, but even on retention level 0 holsters (like mine), if you get your gun stolen from out of your holster, you largely deserve it because you weren't paying attention. I don't wish that to happen, but think about it. If you are close enough to condition white to not notice the attempt (plus most 0 holsters still require a straight draw, any angle, like to the side or behind will make it much more difficult) probably ought not be carrying in the first place. That's just how I feel, and you may think different, but honestly I think active retention is more of a mind thing than it really is anything truly necessary. Basically, if it makes you feel better, then use it.

    Now, that is not to say that retention holsters aren't nice. They can provide the carrier with a little more peace of mind that it takes a very specific set of actions to release the weapon from the holster so they don't have to worry about it bouncing out if they trip/stumble (good level 0's should have enough friction to prevent this as well but i digress...), or if they for some reason have their body at an odd angle (bending down and reaching for something? IDK but I guess it's possible...).

    Another reason some OC'ers use active retention is that they think that it helps the uneducated citizens they are among feel better about it, especially guys who like to carry 1911's they way they are meant to. To an average joe, they feel better when that thumb break retention strap is between the cocked hammer and firing pin (even though the 1911 is perfectly safe when carried like Mr. Browning intended).

    ETA: I missed MadPegTod's example of why he has a retention holster, which to me seems much more realistic than the possibility of theft.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

  5. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Um yes. Anyone who does carry openly without an active retention device is just asking to have their gun snatched, in my opinion. If you're going to spend several hundred dollars on a firearm, why wouldn't anyone spend just as much to protect their investment? Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    And yet you show us no evidence of a civilian having their gun snatched. Ever try to pull a gun out of a fobus holster? Its only coming one way.

    Same can be said for leather. The right fit is the right fit. Also, if you're letting folks get that close you have no idea what situational awareness is. I dont mean you personally there. I mean in general.

    Im not arguing either way. It should be legal to OC everywhere period. Thats not to say everyone has to.
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    And yet you show us no evidence of a civilian having their gun snatched. Ever try to pull a gun out of a fobus holster? Its only coming one way.

    Same can be said for leather. The right fit is the right fit. Also, if you're letting folks get that close you have no idea what situational awareness is. I dont mean you personally there. I mean in general.

    Im not arguing either way. It should be legal to OC everywhere period. Thats not to say everyone has to.
    Nope, I have no evidence of this and haven't tried to find any. Would you openly carry a handgun in a holster with no active retention? Would you walk into a crowd carrying this way?

    These questions are rhetorical of course, but many leather holsters have a thumb break or other active retention device in order to protect against these gun grabs that you say I have no evidence of. Are you saying that people who want an extra layer of security and decide to get one of these holsters are paranoid and worrying over nothing? Say what you will about the lack of evidence of people getting their guns snatched (which, by the way, I agree would be more a result of inattentiveness than holster design), but if I were to open carry, I'd rather have a retention device than not. You can't have your arm down at your side at all times, such as when you're standing in line to sign your credit card receipt or write a check. Just a fact.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    I like some kind of retention device on my holsters to prevent my gun from falling out. There have been many situations I've been in where the thumb break, Serpa design, etc. has prevented my gun from dropping out of the holster. A gun grab is not my main concern, "Mr. Murphy" is the bigger concern for me. For the record, most LE agencies who have policies that the officer's holsters have a "visible retention device" is more to "deter" wise guys from attempting to grab an officer's gun than to actually prevent the gun grab. Many duty holsters have at least 2 retention devices. The "thumb break" or other "visible retention device" is an added layer of security.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You can't have your arm down at your side at all times, such as when you're standing in line to sign your credit card receipt or write a check. Just a fact.
    I've done both, but this is one good reason for concealed carry rather than open carry.

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Nope, I have no evidence of this and haven't tried to find any. Would you openly carry a handgun in a holster with no active retention? Would you walk into a crowd carrying this way?
    Yes, and have done so in the past, and probably will in the future. Cases like that, thumb hooks in my pocket and elbow tucks the weapon. Heck, I do that in a crowd even when i'm CC'ing.

    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    ... I'd rather have a retention device than not. You can't have your arm down at your side at all times, such as when you're standing in line to sign your credit card receipt or write a check. Just a fact.
    Never said that active retention was a bad idea, but I would argue that they are not strictly necessary. There are definitely going to be times when it's handy.

    If I have to use my right hand in a situation like that I will twist my body a bit so the gun is between me and the counter to make it less accessible. Or, barring that make sure that the weapon is on the far side of my body from the nearest other person. Not perfect for sure, but better than nothing. Plus, that sort of situation is usually fairly low-risk in the first place (and, for me anyway, my wife/son is right behind me 99% of the time, I rarely go shopping w/o them, 4/6 eyes are better than 2).

    Not everyone has somebody with them all the time of course. I guess it's just a matter of comfort (psychological) and personal acceptance of risk.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    Yes, and have done so in the past, and probably will in the future. Cases like that, thumb hooks in my pocket and elbow tucks the weapon. Heck, I do that in a crowd even when i'm CC'ing.



    Never said that active retention was a bad idea, but I would argue that they are not strictly necessary. There are definitely going to be times when it's handy.

    If I have to use my right hand in a situation like that I will twist my body a bit so the gun is between me and the counter to make it less accessible. Or, barring that make sure that the weapon is on the far side of my body from the nearest other person. Not perfect for sure, but better than nothing. Plus, that sort of situation is usually fairly low-risk in the first place (and, for me anyway, my wife/son is right behind me 99% of the time, I rarely go shopping w/o them, 4/6 eyes are better than 2).

    Not everyone has somebody with them all the time of course. I guess it's just a matter of comfort (psychological) and personal acceptance of risk.
    It's better to just have a retention device.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    It's better to just have a retention device.
    Sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree. I still don't see that it makes a whole lot of actual difference one way or the other. "Better" when you're talking about holsters is more in the preference in the user.

    There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it is up to the individual to decide what works best for him or her.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast