Open Carry Opinions - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Opinions

Sorry bro. I have seen that one too. That rule does have some merit. I am kinda up in the air on that one. Here in Georgia, you are not allowed to drink at all while carrying. Of course, in Georgia you must have a permit to OC also.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Madpegtod View Post
    You have a lot more rights than you know.
    People generally believe what the government tells them. Case and point...The economic mess we're in right now. People need to start sanding up for their rights. It's a lot easier for them to take away a constitutional right if the people never knew they had it.

4. Depends where you live. If open carry is legal, accepted, (or al least not likely to get the cops called on you) then yes. Otherwise, keep it concealed.

5. Everyone makes good points about the reason to open carry. I will add though that a cocnealed carry license usually requires u to "conceal" unless it's legal where one is to OC. For me, though, I met this guy at the range one day - he was in a gun safety class on his way to applying for concealed carry, who was open carrying in the meantime. It did make me uncomfortable. Honestly, I understand the many reasons listed here for doing so, I'm just describing my immediate gut reaction to it. Maybe for that reason I do go to some length to always keep it concealed. Maybe if I saw more people doing OC I would feel differently. I just like the idea that only I know I am armed.

I choose to carry concealed most of the time, but every now and then I carry openly, which is legal in this state (Tennessee) if you have a permit. I also live in Memphis. I have heard horror stories, told mostly by people I think who are overreacting and assuming the worst, about how the Memphis police will harass you and how you will freak out everybody who sees you and they will call the police, however, I have carried openly a fair bit, and I've never had any kind of problem at all.
    I'm a pool player. There's probably nothing more
    insignificant on the planet. But I'm the best,
    and that's worth something - Fats Brown

http://www.rmemphis.com

Quote Originally Posted by guadman View Post
    Everyone makes good points about the reason to open carry. I will add though that a cocnealed carry license usually requires u to "conceal" unless it's legal where one is to OC. For me, though, I met this guy at the range one day - he was in a gun safety class on his way to applying for concealed carry, who was open carrying in the meantime. It did make me uncomfortable. Honestly, I understand the many reasons listed here for doing so, I'm just describing my immediate gut reaction to it. Maybe for that reason I do go to some length to always keep it concealed. Maybe if I saw more people doing OC I would feel differently. I just like the idea that only I know I am armed.
    I hear alot of people who carry say that they would OC if they saw more people doing it. If everyone is waiting on someone else to go first, then nobody will do it. Someone has to stand up for my 2nd amendment rights. It may as well be me. So far I haven't had any negative experiences. Most of what people hear about guns is form the media, and you know what they always say about guns. If someone has an uncomfortable reaction to my gun the first time, they probably won't have an adverse reaction to it the next time. Our 2nd amendment rights are under serious attack. I'm not saying you should CC or OC. That is simply a matter of preference. Both methods have their advantages. Personally I don't care how you carry, just do it! However, if you CC only because you are intimidated by others for exercising your civil right then you may want to do a little soul searching.

Quote Originally Posted by guadman View Post
    Everyone makes good points about the reason to open carry. I will add though that a cocnealed carry license usually requires u to "conceal" unless it's legal where one is to OC. For me, though, I met this guy at the range one day - he was in a gun safety class on his way to applying for concealed carry, who was open carrying in the meantime. It did make me uncomfortable. Honestly, I understand the many reasons listed here for doing so, I'm just describing my immediate gut reaction to it. Maybe for that reason I do go to some length to always keep it concealed. Maybe if I saw more people doing OC I would feel differently. I just like the idea that only I know I am armed.
    Hmm...
    Anyone Interested in an OC Meetup? - Tennessee - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

I know it's Nashville (Google Maps says 3 hours?), but if you're wanting to go with other folks for strength in numbers, things like that are a place to start. Look up "Open carry Picnic" in youtube to see how the Virginia Civil Defense League does it.

If you're ever up in southern Indiana, shoot me a PM and we can go OC'ing around town. (Yes, your TN permit is good in IN). Once you do it a few times, it won't be any big thing.

ETA: Assuming you're interested in trying OC. I've heard that it's good to step out of your comfort zone from time to time. I'm not gonna force ya -- it's just fun having another person to talk guns with.
    Last edited by squisher; 02-06-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Friendly ribbing :p
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

God, I really hope this passes in Texas. I'm really not the Freudian type, but I am having a lot of "pistol envy" right now. I've carried concealed now for about nine years, and ruined about $500.00 worth of shirts in the process. To me this isn't a "let me show you mine " attitude, I just don't want to keep buying shirts every month

OC in Granite State

I believe NH is an open carry state without a permit. However, I do believe you need a permit for concealed carry. Anyone who currently OC's in NH, please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

11. Quote Originally Posted by robbiev View Post
    I choose to carry concealed most of the time, but every now and then I carry openly, which is legal in this state (Tennessee) if you have a permit. I also live in Memphis. I have heard horror stories, told mostly by people I think who are overreacting and assuming the worst, about how the Memphis police will harass you and how you will freak out everybody who sees you and they will call the police, however, I have carried openly a fair bit, and I've never had any kind of problem at all.
    I've talked to a number of Nashville cops about OC. Most of them just said that if he saw me walking through a mall or down the street, he might ask to see my permit or may very well just assume I had one and not bother. However, if I looked like a gang-banger and he saw the butt of a gun sticking out of my pants, he would probably have me spread against the wall, disarm me, then sort it all out.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast