Open Carry Opinions - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Opinions

1. OC in California

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    I prefer to carry concealed if at all possible. I resort to open carry when traveling through states that don't recognize my permits (Oregon, Colorado and a few others). I try to avoid states completely that won't allow me to do either (California for one). Most of the time I'm on my BMW motorcycle when I visit these states. I wonder if people would react differently if I were on my Harley. :Nigga[1]:
    California does allow open carry, if the gun is empty. You may get stopped by the police, but they will probably just check you out (have your handy-dandy recording devise handy, just in case). It may seem problematic to carry an empty gun, but if it's a revovler, you can speed load it quickly enough, if you are aware. (Altough my speed is pretty good only with moon-clips, and they may consider a moon clip to be an essential part of the gun, which could cause trouble). If you were on your Harley, and they stop you, you will probably end up on the ground. I work in Medford, and see young, plain-clothes officers open carry--if you must OC in California, or anywhere, you should look lke them.

this is why i wouldn't want to OC under any public circumstances... YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

btw, please don't rag on me cause it's "cheap" or the "situation awareness" factor... it's just my opinion, just like you guys are entitled to your own...
    Glock 19 | S&W 1911PD
    Rock River Arms Elite LAR-15

Quote Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
    this is why i wouldn't want to OC under any public circumstances... YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

btw, please don't rag on me cause it's "cheap" or the "situation awareness" factor... it's just my opinion, just like you guys are entitled to your own...
    Honestly, the guy did not put up much of a struggle, he just stood there.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

5. I've open carried here in PA with little attention...I guess the folks up here are used to it. Most people probably think I'm an off duty LEO or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmanley83 View Post
    I've open carried here in PA with little attention...I guess the folks up here are used to it. Most people probably think I'm an off duty LEO or something to that effect.
    Pretty much depends on how you dress to a certain degree, but as long as you don't look like a tatted up biker type, yeah, that's likely what most people assume.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

7. That's why I like to at least have thumb break retention on a holster worn in public. I've had people at the gun store (other customers) just reach for my gun because they are curious and just want to check it out. They don't mean any harm, but need to be educated in the fact that you don't touch another mans gun. If you want to check it out, ask. I'll unload it, clear it, show you how to clear it, than you can check it out.

The newbies are good for that. One guy looked appalled when he found out I was carrying a loaded gun. I asked, "Aren't you here buying a gun? " He said, "Well, yes, but I wasn't going to carry it around loaded." I suggested he take a class.

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    That's why I like to at least have thumb break retention on a holster worn in public. I've had people at the gun store (other customers) just reach for my gun because they are curious and just want to check it out. They don't mean any harm, but need to be educated in the fact that you don't touch another mans gun. If you want to check it out, ask. I'll unload it, clear it, show you how to clear it, than you can check it out.

The newbies are good for that. One guy looked appalled when he found out I was carrying a loaded gun. I asked, "Aren't you here buying a gun? " He said, "Well, yes, but I wasn't going to carry it around loaded." I suggested he take a class.

Kind of scary, going into a gun shop where folks are so bold as to grab at my holstered firearm. Takes a lot of guts (or stupidity). They have no idea if you're a plain clothes LEO, your average gun owning citizen or some hot head who would pull a "soup nazi" yell ("No soup for you!") and smack them senseless.

Looks like I'd be doing a lot of "educating" if I were to do any shopping in your area.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. I happened to me on occasion in NH as well. You chat with a person for a few minutes and they think you are buddies. Grabbing doesn't really describe it. It wasn't a case of someone just going for your gun out of the blue. It's more like reaching for during conversation, which is still a no-no. I never had anyone get so close as to touch it.

It does make me aware that gun grab in public is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    The County Sheriff in AL has a lot of power... and as netentity pointed out in another thread, the laws here in AL are strange. The Sheriff of each county is responsible for issuing pistol permits and CAN set the boundaries on these permits to some degree. There are some standards that are statewide, i.e carrying in a courthouse, federal building, air terminal, etc... I believe most of the Sheriff's and Police Chiefs here in AL frown on open carry. I myself have never seen a civilian open carrying a firearm here. Every person in plain clothes that I have ever seen carrying openely, had a badge holder on their belt.
    And given Alabama's storied past when it comes to enforcing the concept of equal protection of law reguardless of race, color or national origin, the state of Alabama needs to address this problem by going to a state "shall-issue" or objective standards criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex4oc View Post
    God, I really hope this passes in Texas. I'm really not the Freudian type, but I am having a lot of "pistol envy" right now. I've carried concealed now for about nine years, and ruined about $500.00 worth of shirts in the process. To me this isn't a "let me show you mine " attitude, I just don't want to keep buying shirts every month
    Try working in the restaurant business.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast