Is Public Exhibition of Firearms Illegal in North Carolina?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Public Exhibition of Firearms Illegal in North Carolina?

Is Public Exhibition of Firearms Illegal in North Carolina?

I ask this because I know I have seen citizens with side-irons here in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina; but tonight an apparent misidentification brought the local police down on me. Three squad cars, as a matter of fact.

My visiting nephew asked to examine one of my tactical shotguns that I've built-up and keep stashed upstairs. The one I handed him was a Rem 870 Marine Magnum with pretty extreme tactical mod. The thing looks like a plasma rifle out of a sci-fi movie, right.

Well, he wanted to go outside to try the SureFire frontend with its blinding throw (260 lumen), and because it was 11:00 PM I didn't think anybody in the neighborhood would notice. We went out in the front yard with the thing for 5 minutes, okay.

A car drove by, and the driver saw my modified shotgun, and he raced right down the block to the police station and REPORTED me.

He told the cops he'd seen two males with an ASSAULT RIFLE.

So... at 11:15 PM, three squad cars pulled up, and LEOs were on the ground with weapons drawn.

I defused the situation immediately, explained everything, showed the cops the modified shotgun, even let them examine with it.

Their parting advice was: "Next time, do that in the backyard."

Ten-Fo

But my question is, WHY were they so excited about what looked like an assault rifle? Is it illegal to sit around in your front yard examining your rifle?
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
    the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

TOXIC REIGN: Reclaim Our Future

3. Check your local laws but I have a minor theory. This is a classic example of those tv watching Yuppies. Too many people watch these ridiculous tv shows and seem to think they are doing some good by being Mr Report-it. That whole scare tactic of "See something, Say something" has many weak minded idiots thinking they have power. In reality they are just hurting everyone. The cops are now trained to Over React when anything has guns, because "How dare the law aiding public has guns, shame on them"
    Could of you went to the backyard? I guess so, but at such a late time of night, I would of done the same. Live not in fear when your doing something legally. The cops should slap Mr Report-It yuppie and get threw his head that not everyone is a terrorist and he should mind his own business. Just my $0.02.

4. Sounds like 'going armed to the terror of the people'. Legal or illegal, cops can do whatever they want.

Well, you should've seen the looks on the cops' faces when they saw the shotgun. A mixture of horror and delight. I think they really dug seeing and playing with the thing.

6. Why the response?

Two men in the middle of the night outside a house with a gun? There is clearly nothing suspicious there. There is no way that a reasonable person could conclude that something bad might be happening, something bad that might require the rapid response of armed officers of the law.

What you were doing, while not illegal, might not have been the best idea. There is a possibility that it might not have been the safest idea either. Where was the shotgun pointed during all this? Were you treating it as a weapon? keeping safely pointed at all times, finger off the trigger? Or were you treating this instrument of death as a toy? Potential safe practice violations not withstanding, two men in the middle of the night with a shotgun invite a police response and unless they are very careful with thir interactions with the police stand a good chance of getting shot.

I fully support your right to own said shotgun, I fully support your right to carry your shotgun, or any other weapon, in the open, in public in a safe manner. I cannot support treating weapons as objects suitable for "show and tell" unless proper safety precautions are taken.

I am also willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with respect to safety violations. I would caution you that folks who have grown up around and handled guns their entire lives are not immune to accidents. There is a point where familiarity leads to complacency. Which is when accidents are most likely to occur.
    "Get this through your head! We're not fighting to have everybody think the way we do, we're fighting so that people can think whatever they want! Even if they don't agree with us!"--Stalker, GI JOE #39

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    Two men in the middle of the night outside a house with a gun? There is clearly nothing suspicious there.
    While your sarcasm is noted, I'll also point out that PARANOIA and RUSH TO JUDGMENT are the first weapons of the anti-gun community — when we all start reporting each other due to ignorance and unreasoning fear, that's exactly the climate that breeds the LOSS OF LIBERTY.

Would I have done the same thing, would I have immediately reported two men handling an odd-looking firearm in the middle of the night? No. And for very good reason: 1) I would recognize the weapon for what it was, because I know, at a glance, the difference between a tactically-modded shotgun and a MACHINE GUN; 2) I know that back up here in the Smoky Mountains — particularly this area of the Smoky Mountains — it's not at all uncommon to see hunters, gun enthusiasts, and even historical re-enactors handling firearms at any time of day or night; and, 3) I can assess a situation and make a calm judgment about it without rushing straight down to the police department at 11:00 at night.

The witness's action amounted to uneducated, ignorant hysteria. It was uncalled-for.

However, I understand that in a political and social climate of unreasoning FEAR, the law-abiding citizen (that's ME) is expected to yield to the tyranny of the state and ignorance of the uneducated citizenry.

And I say that it's WRONG. Yielding to suspicion and fear is how we lose our Liberty, it's how we've LOST our Liberty in America. It's time for knowledgeable gun owners to make a stand and stop hiding our firearms as though WE are the criminals. As though WE are the terrorists.

We're NOT the terrorists.

Those who find their power through FEAR and IGNORANCE and RUSH TO JUDGMENT are the terrorists. And, yes, I'm pointing directly at our Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of Government in the USA.

I would say everything went exactly as it should, but my question is why did it take the cops 15 minutes to show up? Maybe it took them that long to muster together 3 units.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Charles Austin Miller View Post
    While your sarcasm is noted, I'll also point out that PARANOIA and RUSH TO JUDGMENT are the first weapons of the anti-gun community — when we all start reporting each other due to ignorance and unreasoning fear, that's exactly the climate that breeds the LOSS OF LIBERTY.
    There was no permanent loss of liberty in this case. At worst you were temporarily detained while the police determined exactly what was going on. The police were acting on a witness's correct and reasonable statement: "I saw two men, one of them had a gun (which looked scary), in that neighborhood over there."
    Would I have done the same thing, would I have immediately reported two men handling an odd-looking firearm in the middle of the night? No. And for very good reason: 1) I would recognize the weapon for what it was, because I know, at a glance, the difference between a tactically-modded shotgun and a MACHINE GUN; 2) I know that back up here in the Smoky Mountains — particularly this area of the Smoky Mountains — it's not at all uncommon to see hunters, gun enthusiasts, and even historical re-enactors handling firearms at any time of day or night; and, 3) I can assess a situation and make a calm judgment about it without rushing straight down to the police department at 11:00 at night.
    You appear to be fixated on the misidentification of the firearm in question. The type of firearm makes no difference. You could have had anything resembling a gun from a fully licensed belt fed M-2 to a sharpened stick with a flashlight on the end. If it appeared to be two men with a gun at 11PM in a "neighborhood" the witness was correct to call police and the police were correct to respond.

Perhaps your description of local firearm activity is accurate, but again that makes no difference. I ask you to consider the circumstances.

1. Witness states two men with a gun seen in neighborhood.

2. Gun is described as Assault rifle (police read tactical or scary looking)

3. Is it hunting season?, are there any historical reenactment events scheduled?

4. It is 11PM the likelihood that this is related to home invasion, murder or at the very least alcohol or drugs goes up considerably after dark, particularly after 11PM when most folks are inside their houses watching television or sleeping.

The witness's action amounted to uneducated, ignorant hysteria. It was uncalled-for.
    The witness response was reasonable and prudent. If there were two men in my neighborhood after dark with a gun I would want someone to report it.

However, I understand that in a political and social climate of unreasoning FEAR, the law-abiding citizen (that's ME) is expected to yield to the tyranny of the state and ignorance of the uneducated citizenry.

And I say that it's WRONG. Yielding to suspicion and fear is how we lose our Liberty, it's how we've LOST our Liberty in America. It's time for knowledgeable gun owners to make a stand and stop hiding our firearms as though WE are the criminals. As though WE are the terrorists.

We're NOT the terrorists.

Those who find their power through FEAR and IGNORANCE and RUSH TO JUDGMENT are the terrorists. And, yes, I'm pointing directly at our Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of Government in the USA.
    This has nothing to do with the "political climate" thinking that way is paranoid fantasy at worst or simple ignorance at best. You did something unsafe and possibly foolish. You post on this board claiming a halo and seeking reassurance. You receive some criticism and continue to rant about firearm misidentification and “political climate”. I ask again: Where was this firearm pointing during your show and tell session? Were you treating it as if it were loaded? Was it loaded? Was your or your friend’s finger ever on the trigger? What potential bullet stoppers, houses, people, pets or livestock were potentially endangered by your actions?

I state again that familiarity breeds complacency and contempt. Your response to my previous post reveals much about your attitude towards firearms. I would humbly suggest you take a step back and examine your safety practices before someone gets hurt.

General statement: I support the right of ownership, use and open carry of firearms. In accepting this right I accept the corresponding responsibility of developing safe practices such that no one is unjustifiably endangered by my ownership, use, and carry of firearms.
    "Get this through your head! We're not fighting to have everybody think the way we do, we're fighting so that people can think whatever they want! Even if they don't agree with us!"--Stalker, GI JOE #39

Would have reported it myself as it could have been a couple of BG's looking to rob your home, haveing a firearm on your own property is not the issue, it was night and maybe the neighbor was doing the right thing. Actually spent yesterday in my yard with two next door neighbors comparing new purchase firearms when local officer stopped and joined in the conversation, I shoot with him and next door neighbor.

I would have reported it. I would of described the gun better but still of done the same thing.
    And why is that?

It's dark, and late. Outside of this house is 2 people ( sex doesn't matter) and one is holding a tact weapon.

Is the front light on?
    How many lights on in the house?
    Are they using a flashlight?
    Looking around before they do anything?
    Handling the gun like a gun or toy?

Unless I know you, and know it's your house you are outside of I am going to report two people with a gun.
    Sorry but.
    I would rather report it and have the cops hold you up for a few minutes then read that someone was shot and killed in a house I drove by at about the same time.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast