Open Carry with a CPL - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Open Carry with a CPL

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    rushfan24,
    It would probably be best (for getting the most accurate info) to ask this in the Michigan forum... That being said, I am from a neighboring state (OH) and am almost 100% sure that you do NOT have to carry concealed if you have a permit/lisc in MI......

    BTW... I also am a Rush fan (the band) One of the absolute best rock bands EVER!

  2.   
  3. #12
    You do NOT have to cc in MI just bc you have a cpl.

    See here for more details www.miopencarry.org

    Click on the forum link and read away to your hearts content all about legal OC in MI.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Had a store clerk tell me in Washington, it has to be completely concealed or completely open. If you conceal and it prints or the tip shows, you could get in trouble. Anyone have any info if that is true?
    That's what's known as a fat load of crap.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271

    Haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainsail:221906
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Had a store clerk tell me in Washington, it has to be completely concealed or completely open. If you conceal and it prints or the tip shows, you could get in trouble. Anyone have any info if that is true?
    That's what's known as a fat load of crap.
    Haha that is what I figured

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rushfan24 View Post
    This guy was telling me that if you OC with your CPL, you are at risk of losing your CPL. Is this true? It just doesn't make sense to me, but also, laws are not made up with sense in mind I guess. Thank you!
    Well, since you're in Michigan, the guy who told you that big fib is full of **it. :)

    I've had my CPL since 2003, and I've OCed since about 2009. Never had a problem, and never was hassled by police either. In fact, just renewed my CPL for the 2nd time this year. Thanks in large part to Michigan Open Carry, Inc., more Michigan police departments are aware of our rights, and consequently, we're not being hassled nearly as much as we used to.

    Next time someone tells you something like that, ask them for the specific law. What chapter, and sub section of Michigan Compiled Laws did they get their info. They won't be able to tell you, because they don't know. They're just blowing smoke, or repeating crap they've been told by others who don't know any better.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  7. I just finished ccw 14hr class yesterday. I was told that if it is seen by others whether openly or the imprint through a shirt, or the wind blows your shirt up for a split second and someone sees it, they might call it in and they can say whatever they want to 911 and the cops will come with force. For example someone might say you were waiving the gun around like a homicidal maniac, even tho you weren't.. Who will they believe? You can definitely get in trouble. More than likely they won't do that, but if they do.. you're screwed. Here in az a permit is no longer required but like my brother I opted to take the course anyways to get the permit for 3 basic reasons;
    1. I have the advantage vs open carry(they don't know I have a gun)
    2. Less likely chance of going to jail just because I went through the training and am now permitted by law to carry and conceal.
    3. Less likely chance of getting harassed by public and cops. For example if I get pulled over for any reason and I tell the cop immediately, "I am a ccw permit holder and I have a concealed firearm on my right hip." He will more than likely be reasonable and politely ask me to step out so he can remove it. He may not even do anything except say keep your hands on the wheel. Versus me not having a permit and just saying I have a concealed weapon. Therefore he would be more prone to being suspicious and may even pull his gun on you and start yelling, etc..

    BUT... I'm not fully aware of all the laws yet and am currently beginning the process of extensive research in these matters, but i.m.o. I now believe it makes total sense to never show your weapons as it can be misinterpreted or cause panic, and people tend to over react.
    So its mostly up to you or any laws in your state. Basically, do you want to risk going to jail unless its absolutely necessary in that life threatening situation where you would be justified in either defensively displaying your weapons, or shooting to protect your own life.
    As far as losing your permit if you open carry.. I haven't a clue. Probably not unless you are actually convicted of that crime which the person lied about that saw your gun and freaked..

  8. #17
    I hate to say this, but especially in AZ, the instructor is just blowing smoke in your eyes. Many CC instructors see OC as a way to cut into their profits. Since many states that "allow" open carry, don't require a permit/license to do so. Now that Arizona joined Alaska and Vermont in no longer requiring a permit/license to CC, they're even more ticked off.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  9. #18
    Total bull crap you will be fine check out update #86 on MSP.GOV!!!!!

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by toendanger:222327
    I just finished ccw 14hr class yesterday. I was told that if it is seen by others whether openly or the imprint through a shirt, or the wind blows your shirt up for a split second and someone sees it, they might call it in and they can say whatever they want to 911 and the cops will come with force. For example someone might say you were waiving the gun around like a homicidal maniac, even tho you weren't.. Who will they believe? You can definitely get in trouble. More than likely they won't do that, but if they do.. you're screwed. Here in az a permit is no longer required but like my brother I opted to take the course anyways to get the permit for 3 basic reasons;
    1. I have the advantage vs open carry(they don't know I have a gun)
    2. Less likely chance of going to jail just because I went through the training and am now permitted by law to carry and conceal.
    3. Less likely chance of getting harassed by public and cops. For example if I get pulled over for any reason and I tell the cop immediately, "I am a ccw permit holder and I have a concealed firearm on my right hip." He will more than likely be reasonable and politely ask me to step out so he can remove it. He may not even do anything except say keep your hands on the wheel. Versus me not having a permit and just saying I have a concealed weapon. Therefore he would be more prone to being suspicious and may even pull his gun on you and start yelling, etc..

    BUT... I'm not fully aware of all the laws yet and am currently beginning the process of extensive research in these matters, but i.m.o. I now believe it makes total sense to never show your weapons as it can be misinterpreted or cause panic, and people tend to over react.
    So its mostly up to you or any laws in your state. Basically, do you want to risk going to jail unless its absolutely necessary in that life threatening situation where you would be justified in either defensively displaying your weapons, or shooting to protect your own life.
    As far as losing your permit if you open carry.. I haven't a clue. Probably not unless you are actually convicted of that crime which the person lied about that saw your gun and freaked..
    You have a long ways to go understanding the law. Keep researching, and come up with your opinions. You will encounter opposing opinions, take them, think about them, decide for yourself. I believe you are wrong on many points. I'll try and hit the main points.

    The public can say whatever they want, when the police arrive they will make their official report. Who will they believe? I don't know, 50/50...does it matter? No. If they detain me, they will have to explain to the judge what they saw was illegal. Officer: "Your honour, the man with a gun was eating his dinner with his family." Judge: "your free to go sir (defendant), sorry for taking up your time...officer may I have a word with you? " You can not get in trouble if you did not break the law.

    1. What kind of advantage is it when the bad guy doesn't even know? Criminals prey on the weak, looking unarmed is a disadvantage at that point. Deterrence is an advantage before a crime is committed. Open carry advantage. What about after a crime starts? Drawing from concealed MIGHT be as quick as open if practiced. Drawing from open will almost always be faster. Disadvantage cc. Public crying? Advantage cc. Public education? Advantage oc.

    If you have no legal responsibility to notify, its up to you to notify or not. I believe all my rights are as important as my 2nd, therefore I won't notify unless by law I have to. Any officer that had a bad attitude about me following the laws should find a new job. Example: officer harliss.

  11. Well that's exactly what I meant by saying trouble, being detained. If you don't mind, then go ahead and flash yer gun around all u want. You're correct though, more than likely you won't be convicted. It all depends on the situation. Like others have said, its better to avoid the situation. I would rather avoid the hassle period. That's the point I was trying to get across. Also I never said it was necessary to tell police you carry. I said I would rather avoid the hassle. If I tell them immediately then he won't question me versus not tell him, get out and I have a gun on my hip he'll be surprised. It's all up to the officer. He can do whatever he wants, whether it be excessive or not. Again I would rather avoid that situation. Who knows maybe he'll be so happy you told him, maybe you'll get out of a ticket!

    So... Back on topic.. are you AT RISK of losing yer permit if you oc? Yes there is a risk however small. Why risk it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast