10 reasons for open carry - Page 12
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 230

Thread: 10 reasons for open carry

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    All you can do is "back up" your opinions with a couple news stories you found using google on the internet. Since when is that legitimate research that you can use to make a claim? Never.
    SERIOUSLY?!? You MUST be B2Tall's siamese twin. Post #76 on this very thread:

    There is no common sense to your argument. We've provided facts over and over again, you simply ignore them and dismiss them because they don't fit into your prejudice against open carry.

    Armed and Considered Dangerous: A survey of felons and their firearms by Peter H. Rossi and James Wright. Fifty-six percent of the prisoners said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed. Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that "One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun, and eight percent said the experience had occurred "many times."

    The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985, Department of Justice. 74% of felons agreed that, "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  2.   
  3. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR:224565
    SERIOUSLY?!? You MUST be B2Tall's siamese twin. Post #76 on this very thread:

    There is no common sense to your argument. We've provided facts over and over again, you simply ignore them and dismiss them because they don't fit into your prejudice against open carry.

    Armed and Considered Dangerous: A survey of felons and their firearms by Peter H. Rossi and James Wright. Fifty-six percent of the prisoners said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed. Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that "One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun, and eight percent said the experience had occurred "many times."

    The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985, Department of Justice. 74% of felons agreed that, "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."
    What he said :-)

  4. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    All you can do is "back up" your opinions with a couple news stories you found using google on the internet. Since when is that legitimate research that you can use to make a claim? Never.
    Can you do any better, or not? I didn't think so.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  5. #114
    I cant find a free copy of Wright's study, but having to go off your quote alone, "a potential victim who was known to be armed" does not automatically translate into an open carrier. A concealed carrier can be known to be armed as well. Ex. A neighbor who doesn't like me who could potentially rob me, may know I am armed because I've told him in the past I have a CCW.

    "Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that 'One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime'". This has nothing to do with open carrying versus concealed carrying. Its simply saying criminals dont like the potential of being shot when burglarizing a house when the person is in it. There are also many other reasons why they dont like burglarizing a house with a person in it, its common sense.
    "Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun". Both open carriers and concealed carriers fall into this category and does not back up a pro-open carry argument.

  6. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I cant find a free copy of Wright's study, but having to go off your quote alone, "a potential victim who was known to be armed" does not automatically translate into an open carrier. A concealed carrier can be known to be armed as well. Ex. A neighbor who doesn't like me who could potentially rob me, may know I am armed because I've told him in the past I have a CCW.

    "Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that 'One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime'". This has nothing to do with open carrying versus concealed carrying. Its simply saying criminals dont like the potential of being shot when burglarizing a house when the person is in it. There are also many other reasons why they dont like burglarizing a house with a person in it, its common sense.
    "Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun". Both open carriers and concealed carriers fall into this category and does not back up a pro-open carry argument.
    I didn't think so.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I cant find a free copy of Wright's study, but having to go off your quote alone, "a potential victim who was known to be armed" does not automatically translate into an open carrier. A concealed carrier can be known to be armed as well. Ex. A neighbor who doesn't like me who could potentially rob me, may know I am armed because I've told him in the past I have a CCW.
    Amazing. We actually got you to admit that the known presence of a firearm would deter a crime. I thought you have said all along it was the "element of surprise"? If the concealed carrier is known to be armed, where is the omnipotent "element of surprise"?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR:224584
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I cant find a free copy of Wright's study, but having to go off your quote alone, "a potential victim who was known to be armed" does not automatically translate into an open carrier. A concealed carrier can be known to be armed as well. Ex. A neighbor who doesn't like me who could potentially rob me, may know I am armed because I've told him in the past I have a CCW.
    Amazing. We actually got you to admit that the known presence of a firearm would deter a crime. I thought you have said all along it was the "element of surprise"? If the concealed carrier is known to be armed, where is the omnipotent "element of surprise"?
    Hiding.......SURPRISE!!!!!!!!....did I get you?

  9. #118
    Actually I've never said anything about surprise and I havent argued for concealed carry this whole time, Ive just torn up your guy's arguments and false claims.
    The known presence of a firearm does not mean anything about concealed versus open carry. A lot of people know I have a firearm even when its not out in the open. So you can't say the known presence of a firearm translates to open carrying.

  10. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    SERIOUSLY?!? You MUST be B2Tall's siamese twin. Post #76 on this very thread:
    I would have figured that the Hensel twins would show more class than these two.

  11. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    SERIOUSLY?!? You MUST be B2Tall's siamese twin.
    Not quite. Remember, B2Tall believes criminals are not afraid of us and are smarter than we think they are. DE thinks criminals are dumber and attacks anything that moves that presents a greater threat. The broken records are similar though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Actually I've never said anything about surprise and I havent argued for concealed carry this whole time, Ive just torn up your guy's arguments and false claims.
    The known presence of a firearm does not mean anything about concealed versus open carry. A lot of people know I have a firearm even when its not out in the open. So you can't say the known presence of a firearm translates to open carrying.
    Exactly how did you tear up our arguments and false claims? The study is showing that 56% chose not to attack a victim they knew was armed; be it open carry or someone who tells people they are concealing, which at that point I wouldn't consider it truly concealed carry. The majority of open carriers will be in that 56% because they have shown the criminal they are armed. Do you consider someone concealing their firearm with a garment, but then telling and flashing the weapon for brief instances, to still be concealing? Cause I don't.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast