10 reasons for open carry - Page 21
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons for open carry

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Every time?? That's great that you can make such absolute, blanket statements like that. You seem to be incredibly knowledgeable on the subject - the definitive source. I guess all those stories we hear about BGs robbing targets that're protected by armed guards (i.e. armored cars, pawn shops, jewelry stores, etc. etc.) are just outright lies. Obviously (at least to you and your immense knowledge on the subject) nobody would ever try to rob anyone or any place protected by a firearm. After all, those would hardly qualify as "easy" victims that you say the BGs always go after, right??
    This thread is chock full of anecdotal statements not substantiated by anything other than conjecture and opinion. Some talk about speed but couldn't tell you the steps of a proper draw stroke. I think it's funny. Sigmund Freud might have his own thoughts on why one would belittle thosee who prefer CC...

If you feel the need to OC is it because you have a small PeeWee???? :-)

Hey everyone, I'm just funnin. Don't get the underwear in a knot. OC if it floats your boat. Any statement that one is always better than the other is wrong.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    This thread is chock full of anecdotal statements not substantiated by anything other than conjecture and opinion. Some talk about speed but couldn't tell you the steps of a proper draw stroke. I think it's funny. Sigmund Freud might have his own thoughts on why one would belittle thosee who prefer CC...
    I think you have it mixed up. Most of us who OC, also CC, depending on the place and situation, sometimes CC is better than OC, or it is better advised.

The only "belittling" of those who CC, are of those who come to this forum to stir the pot. They always sing the same of song and dance, "you'll be shot/killed/attacked first by the bad guys," or "you'll be needlessly harassed by LEOs," or "you must be compensating for a small weeny." It's funny, since some of those same insults are used by the brady bunch people against people who carry guns, period.

I've always said, as long as you carry, that's what matters. I don't care if it's OC or CC, but if you (the collective "you," not you in particular.) only came here to repeat the same old crap again, about the "dangers" of OC, please, save yourself and us time and aggravation, and go somewhere else.

Oh, and have a nice day.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1:237592
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Every time?? That's great that you can make such absolute, blanket statements like that. You seem to be incredibly knowledgeable on the subject - the definitive source. I guess all those stories we hear about BGs robbing targets that're protected by armed guards (i.e. armored cars, pawn shops, jewelry stores, etc. etc.) are just outright lies. Obviously (at least to you and your immense knowledge on the subject) nobody would ever try to rob anyone or any place protected by a firearm. After all, those would hardly qualify as "easy" victims that you say the BGs always go after, right??

If you feel the need to OC is it because you have a small PeeWee???? :-)

Hey everyone, I'm just funnin. Don't get the underwear in a knot. OC if it floats your boat. Any statement that one is always better than the other is wrong.
    Doesn't the draw stroke change depending on the holster you have it in and where you carry? No retention, thumb strap retention (leather holsters, Safariland ALS), trigger finger release (blackhawk serpa, fobus), and strong side (2,3,4,5 oclock), lower back, shoulder, cross draw, concealed vs open, they all have different draw strokes...different strokes for different folks.

I don't CC becuase I have no more room in my pants for another pistol :):):) (basically what Chris Costa said to Travis Haley in magpul dynamics except it wasnt about cc or oc)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Oh, and have a nice day.
    It was said before on another one of these OC bashing threads,

Quote Originally Posted by I am not sure who
    Screw'em Al, he's an effin troll!
    To which I replied,

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE
    Al doesn't want any troll STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It was said before on another one of these OC bashing threads,
    Yeah, they tend to forget, most of us started out concealing. I think I'm gonna just have to make my ignore list bigger. It wouldn't be so bad if they came up with something new, but it's always the same old song and dance routine.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Doesn't the draw stroke change depending on the holster you have it in and where you carry? No retention, thumb strap retention (leather holsters, Safariland ALS), trigger finger release (blackhawk serpa, fobus), and strong side (2,3,4,5 oclock), lower back, shoulder, cross draw, concealed vs open, they all have different draw strokes...different strokes for different folks.

I don't CC becuase I have no more room in my pants for another pistol :):):) (basically what Chris Costa said to Travis Haley in magpul dynamics except it wasnt about cc or oc)
    Back to a serious discussion...

Yes. My wife has the same problem. She's thin and can't hide a gun IWB or OWB. Thw difference between the OC and CC drawstroke is elimination or presence of the "Access" step. "Access" is clearing the concealment garment prior to the "Grip" step." Drawing from a CC position absolutelty slows the drawstroke which is a disadvantage over OC. That split second could be the difference between winning and losing. The fastest positions are strong side OWB, followed by strong-side IWB. Both allow one to get the gun into shooting position faster due to the "rotate" step which alows one to shoot from the body (or a "speed-rock") without the "join" or "extend" steps. Other CC positions like small of back slow the draw a bit further as there is no ability to "rotte." There is no doubt that OC allows a faster draw by eliminating the "Access" step. In concealed carry classes we also find that students also have more fumbling errors with CC using IWB holsters as students can get tangled in the concealment garment. Once they fumble they're finished. So much for the element of surprise there.

I think the reason for heated arguments between OC and CC comes from the belittling of those who like CC over OC. makes some of us want to crack jodes... :-) It's a personal preference really and is governed by where one is going. For example, If guns aren't allowed in an eatery but OC is legal in the state, it becomes obvious one can't OC in the eatery. Thus CC is an option. Those who put CC persons on an ignore list may be losing other important advice. An open mind always works best. They should take what is important and leave the rest. Each have their appropriate applications in practicality.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I carry concealed in Texas because I am required to do so, I carry open in AZ (second home), if Texas were to pass open constitutional 2nd amendment open carry I would switch depending on situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1:237708
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post

Back to a serious discussion...

Yes. My wife has the same problem. She's thin and can't hide a gun IWB or OWB. Thw difference between the OC and CC drawstroke is elimination or presence of the "Access" step. "Access" is clearing the concealment garment prior to the "Grip" step." Drawing from a CC position absolutelty slows the drawstroke which is a disadvantage over OC. That split second could be the difference between winning and losing. The fastest positions are strong side OWB, followed by strong-side IWB. Both allow one to get the gun into shooting position faster due to the "rotate" step which alows one to shoot from the body (or a "speed-rock") without the "join" or "extend" steps. Other CC positions like small of back slow the draw a bit further as there is no ability to "rotte." There is no doubt that OC allows a faster draw by eliminating the "Access" step. In concealed carry classes we also find that students also have more fumbling errors with CC using IWB holsters as students can get tangled in the concealment garment. Once they fumble they're finished. So much for the element of surprise there.

I think the reason for heated arguments between OC and CC comes from the belittling of those who like CC over OC. makes some of us want to crack jodes... :-) It's a personal preference really and is governed by where one is going. For example, If guns aren't allowed in an eatery but OC is legal in the state, it becomes obvious one can't OC in the eatery. Thus CC is an option. Those who put CC persons on an ignore list may be losing other important advice. An open mind always works best. They should take what is important and leave the rest. Each have their appropriate applications in practicality.
    Nice post. I do like :) My wife can't conceal a handgun on her either.

I know if you have trouble getting the garment away from the gun you can sew a weight to the flap (if it's open) or keep your keys in the pocket gun side to give your garment more weight to throw it out of the way. If you have a closed garment, lift that sucker up passed your nipples to get it out of the way. Like you said though, one extra step slows the process down even the slightest, to a great disadvantage if it gets stucks. Then again, even if it does get stuck, if you can still get a grip on your pistol and pull the trigger, in a shtf moment the priority is getting on target, even if that means you have some cloth in your hand.

What's your view on the difference in strokes for point and shoot vs sight aiming vs laser optics. I agree with the high tang grip, release mechanism (if you have one), draw straight up to the work space, join, extend or push. We should do this repeatedly in drills, and with your eyes closed to see how close your irons line up naturally. But for point and shoot, high tang grip, release mech, as you draw rotate asap onto target, 2 rounds, join hands in workspace, extend. I see lasers working the same way.

Although I have not yet been denied into an eatery for OC, I all ready have decided if we (my wife and I) are confronted about it, I'll turn to her and say, "How does xx retaurant sound?" So far though, in the Southeast WA, they are very gun friendly everywhere I go. I do see your point though, for our anniversary last week, I didn't want to cause any interruption during our day, good or bad, or be denied food from the fancy restaurant on our day, so i did conceal to keep it our day and no one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if they came up with something new, but it's always the same old song and dance routine.
    Sung by a bunch of tone deaf clutzes.

Bump. Better representation as well.
    Hopefully people read the three big open carry threads entirely before posting.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast