10 reasons for open carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons for open carry

I have asked this before and no one has been able to tell me why they would rob the store I go into but here is a what if.

If you have decided to rob a store. There are two stores to choose from One you see A few guys Open carrying hand guns and in the other you just see an older married couple.. What store do you rob?

3. If I wanted everyone starring at my mid section id wear a speedo :o

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger:222151
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Not to offend anyone, but surprise is an offensive tactic. Most self defense scenarios are a defensive situation where surprise plays no role. There also has been no case where an open carrier was shot first in a crime.
    I beg to differ with you FFC... Armoured Truck Couriers have been shot from the back, although they were carrying their sidearm out in the open. I personally know of one when I worked for Dunbar's Federal Armoured Express in the early 80's. They know your armed, so they approach you from the rear(gun out). They very seldom get what's on the truck, because the driver is trained to drive off and immediately place a distress call to his base Ops.
    Armored truck personnel, soldiers, and police all carry openly, and are all part of a different category of uniformed jobs. Each one is targeted for different reasons, reasons citizens are not targeted. (we don't go around with bags full of money like armored personnel). Apples and oranges. On the contrary though, all these jobs do use open carry for deterrence.

Quote Originally Posted by kloutier View Post
    I have asked this before and no one has been able to tell me why they would rob the store I go into but here is a what if.

If you have decided to rob a store. There are two stores to choose from One you see A few guys Open carrying hand guns and in the other you just see an older married couple.. What store do you rob?
    A "few" guys OCing?? You probably wouldn't rob that store.

How often do you see multiple OCers?? I've spent plenty of time in OC-friendly states and have only seen an OCer once that I can recall, and I've never seen multiple OCers at the same time outside of the woods during hunting season.

Is one OCer going to deter me and my homies from robbing a place?? Highly unlikely, and yes.....thugs frequently operate together. That's why they call them a "gang". Not only are we going to rob the place but we're going to get your gun as well. Remember....I'm a thug who's got plenty of experience doing this. I grew up in the hood where just about everybody has guns and shootings are fairly common. I didn't grow up in your nice neighborhood where people freeze in terror at the sight of a gun. I'm not intimidated by the iron you've got strapped on. You think I'm gonna lose my cred by turning tail and running? You think I want to endure the abuse from my homies?? Hell no! I'm not afraid! Your gun is gonna be a nice addition to whatever cash we get! And if you hand it over nice and slow like I'm telling you to, you just might make it home in one piece. Don't go gettin' all Rambo on me - you might get a lot of people hurt....starting with yourself.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Armored truck personnel, soldiers, and police all carry openly, and are all part of a different category of uniformed jobs. Each one is targeted for different reasons, reasons citizens are not targeted. (we don't go around with bags full of money like armored personnel). Apples and oranges. On the contrary though, all these jobs do use open carry for deterrence.
    Ditto for any armed security guard. Doesn't always work, does it. Places with armed guards get robbed every day. Apparently those thugs never got the memo that they're supposed to go try an easier target.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Never stated a mob could not overrun me, never stated a large group could not take my gun, did state that it would be empty as well as the mags. In case you underestimate me, did not grow up in a gated neighborhood, worked all my life for what I have and am willing to die to defend myself/family/home and business. If you are willing to die trying to take anything I own you are welcome to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:222220
    Quote Originally Posted by kloutier View Post

A "few" guys OCing?? You probably wouldn't rob that store.

How often do you see multiple OCers?? I've spent plenty of time in OC-friendly states and have only seen an OCer once that I can recall, and I've never seen multiple OCers at the same time outside of the woods during hunting season.

Is one OCer going to deter me and my homies from robbing a place?? Highly unlikely, and yes.....thugs frequently operate together. That's why they call them a "gang". Not only are we going to rob the place but we're going to get your gun as well. Remember....I'm a thug who's got plenty of experience doing this. I grew up in the hood where just about everybody has guns and shootings are fairly common. I didn't grow up in your nice neighborhood where people freeze in terror at the sight of a gun. I'm not intimidated by the iron you've got strapped on. You think I'm gonna lose my cred by turning tail and running? You think I want to endure the abuse from my homies?? Hell no! I'm not afraid! Your gun is gonna be a nice addition to whatever cash we get! And if you hand it over nice and slow like I'm telling you to, you just might make it home in one piece. Don't go gettin' all Rambo on me - you might get a lot of people hurt....starting with yourself.
    You must live in a terrible area. There has been no hood in the last three towns I lived in where gun fights were normal. Most criminals robbing a store, or committing another crime, are not gang members. Criminals prey on the weak. Period. Gangs stay in their territory, and are only strong in numbers. The amount of stories of a gun used in self defense against 2+ attackers, where the presence of the firearm sent them running, makes it highly likely to deter a crime. The lack of stories of criminals targeting armed civilians makes your scenarios highly unlikely.

You like to point out a worse case scenario, but only to the extent where you still have some control. But that is not worse case scenario, and you will likely not have much control at all.

Images of robberies from gang ridden areas as the normal is wrong.
    All criminals are not gang member thugs with no fear.

The best gun fight, is the one you aren't in. Why you would be in an area that is gang ridden with their homie and thug friends is beyond me.

I'll rephrase the question from earlier:
    If you have decided to rob a store. There are two stores to choose from, one you see a guy Open carrying and in the other you see a clerk stocking potato chips . What store do you rob?

If you had the choice, and choose the store where your likelihood of survival considerably drops, you would make it onto the show of the worlds dumbest criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:222221
    Ditto for any armed security guard. Doesn't always work, does it. Places with armed guards get robbed every day. Apparently those thugs never got the memo that they're supposed to go try an easier target.
    Nothing is guaranteed. But what is the percentage of stores being robbed that have a security guard versus stores that don't? What is the success rate of each store? If by having a security guard means your store has a higher risk of being targeted, why have a guard at all? Because that is not the case. Having any security guard, armed or not, is deterrence.

I've OCed since about 2009, 99.5% of the time, NO ONE notices my gun. Which is sort of hard to figure, since I generally carry a full size semi-Auto pistol, like this one.

In the 3 or so years I've been OCing, I've only been "hassled" one time, by a greeter at Meijer's, whom I have passed many times before while OCing, and he finally noticed my gun that day. :)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Too much attention when OC. Might cause the OC individual to be the first targeted by thugs. Thugs/groups can follow you home noting that your home might store guns and wait till you leave and try to obtain guns. (they may be in a 500 lb, bolted down safe but who'd want the hassle break in's cause?) I educate others as much as possible by getting educational materials at jpfo.org and passing it out. At any rate, if you OC, hope you have level 3 retention holster and PRACTICE drawing with it, along with a heafty dose of hand to hand with gun retention training as you would be the first targeted as I mentioned...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast