10 reasons for open carry - Page 4
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons for open carry

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40:222239
    Too much attention when OC. Might cause the OC individual to be the first targeted by thugs. Thugs/groups can follow you home noting that your home might store guns and wait till you leave and try to obtain guns. (they may be in a 500 lb, bolted down safe but who'd want the hassle break in's cause?) I educate others as much as possible by getting educational materials at jpfo.org and passing it out. At any rate, if you OC, hope you have level 3 retention holster and PRACTICE drawing with it, along with a heafty dose of hand to hand with gun retention training as you would be the first targeted as I mentioned...
    You will not be targeted first. That has never been the case. This needed some clarification.

As to them following you...never heard of that happening before either, won't deny it will never happen, but those that cc have just as much chance of it happening to them as well. Which criminal would risk dying to steal guns, when they can buy an illegal one so much easier?

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Too much attention when OC. Might cause the OC individual to be the first targeted by thugs. Thugs/groups can follow you home noting that your home might store guns and wait till you leave and try to obtain guns. (they may be in a 500 lb, bolted down safe but who'd want the hassle break in's cause?) I educate others as much as possible by getting educational materials at jpfo.org and passing it out. At any rate, if you OC, hope you have level 3 retention holster and PRACTICE drawing with it, along with a heafty dose of hand to hand with gun retention training as you would be the first targeted as I mentioned...
    Again with the OC myths?
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Again with the OC myths?
    It's good to see you back on the forums Al, and yes we still have the OC myths, threads about whether or not to inform a LEO that you are carrying, and whether to carry with a round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It's good to see you back on the forums Al, and yes we still have the OC myths, threads about whether or not to inform a LEO that you are carrying, and whether to carry with a round in the chamber.
    I think I'm registered on too many forums. ;)

Well, if I'm OCing, there's no need to inform. But if I'm CCing, Michigan law says I must inform, or risk losing my CPL.

With semi-auto's, ALWAYS have a round in the chamber. :)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    You must live in a terrible area. There has been no hood in the last three towns I lived in where gun fights were normal. Most criminals robbing a store, or committing another crime, are not gang members. Criminals prey on the weak. Period. Gangs stay in their territory, and are only strong in numbers. The amount of stories of a gun used in self defense against 2+ attackers, where the presence of the firearm sent them running, makes it highly likely to deter a crime. The lack of stories of criminals targeting armed civilians makes your scenarios highly unlikely.

You like to point out a worse case scenario, but only to the extent where you still have some control. But that is not worse case scenario, and you will likely not have much control at all.

Images of robberies from gang ridden areas as the normal is wrong.
    All criminals are not gang member thugs with no fear.

The best gun fight, is the one you aren't in. Why you would be in an area that is gang ridden with their homie and thug friends is beyond me.

I'll rephrase the question from earlier:
    If you have decided to rob a store. There are two stores to choose from, one you see a guy Open carrying and in the other you see a clerk stocking potato chips . What store do you rob?

If you had the choice, and choose the store where your likelihood of survival considerably drops, you would make it onto the show of the worlds dumbest criminals.
    For somebody who has so little experience with "'hoods", you purport to know an awful lot about gangs. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I live in a nice area but like most of the people in this country (the vast majority of whom live in or very near heavily populated urban/suburban areas), there are not-so-nice areas just a short drive away - less than 30 min away. Thugs have cars and they know where the money is. Not all "gangs" are formally organized like the Crips or Bloods. Most don't even have names....they're just a bunch of punks who grew up together and who operate together. The idea that they "stay in their territory" is ridiculous. Too many times have groups of 3 or 4 armed BGs hopped in their car (in places like Lauderhill, N. Lauderdale, W. Palm Beach, Riviera Beach, etc.) and driven a few miles to nice places like Parkland, Coral Springs, Boca Raton, etc. and caused mayhem. What world do you live in where the BGs only stay in bad areas?? Let me know...I'd like to move there.

What store to rob?? The one with the money. The one that's been selling boatloads of lottery tickets because the Powerball is really high. The one that my girlfriend used to work at and told me they don't have a drop-safe. And so on and so on...That's where my boyz and I are going and we're really not impressed with your pistol. We'll make sure you get a good look at ours.

OCing may very well deter the novice robber, the lone guy who's nervous and jumpy, but it's probably not gonna do squat to the experienced thug who's probably not alone and who's seen it all before.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

7. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Ditto for any armed security guard. Doesn't always work, does it. Places with armed guards get robbed every day. Apparently those thugs never got the memo that they're supposed to go try an easier target.
    I wonder why ADT and Brinks put those signs in people's front yards? Don't they know that those signs only tip off burglars that there is something valuable inside and allows the burglar to plan his attack so that he knows to shoot the alarm first to silence the biggest threat? You would think that with their big money they could afford to pay experts like B2Tall to tell them that deterrence doesn't work - visible defenses only invite criminals to attack...

Speaking of uniformed and armed security guards, Brinks and Guardia have sure had it all backwards for decades, haven't they? They should move their money around in VW's with ordinary Joes carrying concealed. That way when the bad guys attack them and try to take their suitcases of money away from them, they can yell, "Surprise!" and shoot the bad guys...funny how Brinks and Guardia choose to keep using armored cars and uniformed, armed security guards with all this evidence that stealth, disguise and the element of surprise would be so much more effective.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

You will not be targeted first. That has never been the case...
    Wow. Amazing that you can make such a statement with such absolute certainty. You're also 10000000000% wrong. Wanna know why?? Because if I'm determined to rob a place for whatever reason and I see you and your gun in my way, I'm targeting you first....ergo your statement is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Never stated a mob could not overrun me, never stated a large group could not take my gun, did state that it would be empty as well as the mags. In case you underestimate me, did not grow up in a gated neighborhood, worked all my life for what I have and am willing to die to defend myself/family/home and business. If you are willing to die trying to take anything I own you are welcome to go for it.
    I usually agree with what you say on these forums but I have to ask you this - would you start a firefight with numerous bystanders around and in close proximity (i.e. standing in line at a convenience store)?? Especially if you're facing multiple armed assailants who know you're armed because they've seen your OC?? Would you put those people at risk because some BGs are pointing guns at you and demanding yours in return??

This says it all and it's straight from our favorite website.

Are You Crazy If You Open Carry?

You must live in a terrible area. There has been no hood in the last three towns I lived in where gun fights were normal. Most criminals robbing a store, or committing another crime, are not gang members. Criminals prey on the weak. Period. Gangs stay in their territory, and are only strong in numbers. The amount of stories of a gun used in self defense against 2+ attackers, where the presence of the firearm sent them running, makes it highly likely to deter a crime. The lack of stories of criminals targeting armed civilians makes your scenarios highly unlikely.

You like to point out a worse case scenario, but only to the extent where you still have some control. But that is not worse case scenario, and you will likely not have much control at all.

Images of robberies from gang ridden areas as the normal is wrong.
    All criminals are not gang member thugs with no fear.

The best gun fight, is the one you aren't in. Why you would be in an area that is gang ridden with their homie and thug friends is beyond me.

I'll rephrase the question from earlier:
    If you have decided to rob a store. There are two stores to choose from, one you see a guy Open carrying and in the other you see a clerk stocking potato chips . What store do you rob?

If you had the choice, and choose the store where your likelihood of survival considerably drops, you would make it onto the show of the worlds dumbest criminals.
    Obviously you've never lived in an area that was really bad. I'm a Chicago West Sider... couple miles from the 2010 most dangerous neighborhood in the US per FBI crime statistics. Gangs just don't defend territory, they participate in every criminal venture, from petty theft to murder. And they don't care if you have a gun on your belt, they shoot you regardless. Don't kid yourself, you certainly have something they want... whether it be the few dollars in your pocket, your sunglasses, maybe your tennis shoes or the gun you are so proudly displaying. It doesn't matter, your slaying could even just be a gang initiation challenge... You are just extra points for them if you have a gun on display! Doesn't matter if you have nothing they want but your life... you would be a game for them and the more they see you around, and without a police badge on display to go with that pistola, the more probability you'd be their target. CC'ing is the way to go.

Also, based upon one of your previous posts, I think your view of a defensive maneuver is a bit narrow. Technically, yes, a punch, a kick or a quick-draw from a cc holster is an offensive manuever but done in defense of your well-being. A good offense is the best defense.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast