Poll - OC or CC - Page 13

View Poll Results: If both OC and CC is/were an option, which of the following best applies to you:

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • OC all the time.

6 4.92%
  • OC most of the time but CC on occasion.

18 14.75%
  • CC all the time.

44 36.07%
  • CC most of the time but OC on occasion

54 44.26%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poll - OC or CC

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:226368
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I already tried that route, Gunny. They keep asking for "proof" in the form of stats that they know don't exist because no such stats are kept. OCers make up such a miniscule segment of the population that it's highly unlikely that any formal study has ever been done.

It's little more than a straw that a few sheepcocks (or should a cross between a sheepdog and a peacock be known as a "peadog"??) are clinging to.
    I studied sociology and it's rather obvious to me at least, that conducting a study on the differences between CC and OC is just about impossible. Among all the questions of how to do this study a few simple ones would be: Where would you collect data? Each city is different in every way. Assume you chose a city, now how do you collect data? Do you visit restaurants and shopping malls and see how many people are open carrying, and then ask everyone else if they are concealed carrying? (Not to mention the errors you would create in your study by where you choose to sample versus where you dont sample). The CCs would also not even tell you they were concealed carrying and you could therefore not collect data from them in reality. And what do you ask them assuming they are willing to talk to you?
    In regards to the effects that OC and CC have on the public and criminals, how do you collect data on this? Do you attempt to ask your sample if they plan on committing crimes, and if so, what factors they will take into account? Well first of all there are too many factors to comprehend or even think of. Do you try asking people in prison if they are scared of open carriers while committing a crime? Well first of all, how do you define and describe this open carrier and the general situation and surroundings? And after you come up with a situation to ask them to hypothetically give you an answer on, you cant generalize that situation to all the other different situations at any given place and at any given time. If you sample a prison population, you are also creating a bias because you are only sampling people who have been caught and convicted. You also cannot forget about the effects that emotions, drugs, and natural biological functions have on our decision making. I could sit here all day and think of the countless problems in the study, and even when you think you have a study that could work, there will be plenty of ways to criticize it and the chance of making it able to be generalized to the real world would be zero.
    Complex human behavior is just what it is, complex.
    There is an endless list of difficulties in a sociological study as complex as this, hence the reason why there has not been a study done on this. It is extremely unrealistic to attempt to study, and after all, you're trying to study human behavior, and that is a difficult subject in itself. There are too many factors.
    There is no hard evidence that proves CC is better, or that OC is better. There are only examples in the news that can be interpreted (not to mention biased) that make us think one may be better than another.
    What reason is a legitimate reason to carry in any form then? I can agree with a lot of what you said, but it destroys most arguments on both sides.

We are also not asking for evidence for which is better, just evidence on specific conclusions (mainly the element of surprise and being targeted). Since there is no study named "Open carry statistics," can we have some stories, doesn't matter if its biased or not, of said conclusions happening to Joe "armed" citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny:226296
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Just because you gave up doesn't mean I should :-)
    Everyone has their own level of "bashing one's own head into a wall" discovery. I just go with the flow and have LONG decided that I am NOT going to be the one to make the world change to my beliefs, or even to try to "explain" common knowledge to the brain dead.

Like I said.... waste of time. I don't have much left to waste.

GG
    I don't believe I can change the world, I do believe I can change the attitude of my local area. Most people I talk with in person are very receptive to the information I can provide about firearms. The only time I feel i'm talking with a brain dead person is online.

I have a lot of time and energy left. I hope to spend it wisely.

I think another choice should be available: CCall the time but WOULD OC if it was legal in my state.

Yeah. I'm in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Respectfully, the question in the poll was IF both OC and CC is/were an option...
    Oops! I'm one of them that didn't read real well too! Been a long morning of reading posts. My eyes are blurry. (my story and I'm stickin to it!)

But I'd still stick to #3

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Hey now I'm PRO CHOICE DON"T LUMP ME in the same boat as those Martian's!!!!
    Here! Here! Amazing how the reaction to something one does not want to hear is to lump everyone of the opposite view into some sort of negative category. The use of the very same tactic that is complained about is used in their defence. Tsk! Tsk!

Don't lump all of us CCers into the BG category and ALL of us CCers won't think you're a nut ball for OCing. Fair enough?

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Peacocks and sheepdogs are NOT brain dead! They just act like it sometimes.
    Enough with the sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Expected answers:

1) I see them all the time. (Though that defies MY experience. .... and I am WELL traveled in the US.)

2) We need to get MORE of them in the game! (Part of the "plea" effort of the OC minded souls as it is.)

GG
    I repeat a question I asked in an earlier post on this same topic. "Don't you OCers just like to OC so you can show off your new shootin rig?" This could be construed as an antagonistic question but the more I read and the less 'convincing reasoning' for OC I read the more the question seems valid.

I'd like to see some valid, proven statistics on the benefit of OC over CC in every day life. The poll I'd like to see is what professions OCers are that they can OC "all the time" like I see stated here a lot.

I CC because of Florida law but when I lived in PA and GA, I also CCed by choice. Everything is a matter of choice. And I choose to NOT be lumped in with the antagonists.

YOu know.... just reading this thread has made me realize that the question of OC or CC is about as dividing as the question of Democrat or Republican.

...but MY representative is a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Good point gunny. I don't see many. Today I saw 6 when we got together to clean up a local shooting spot. Not the normal day.

It can be said you don't see criminals everyday either. They are still out there though.
    Agreed! Exactly why we "carry"..... on the off chance......!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    I repeat a question I asked in an earlier post on this same topic. "Don't you OCers just like to OC so you can show off your new shootin rig?" This could be construed as an antagonistic question but the more I read and the less 'convincing reasoning' for OC I read the more the question seems valid.

I'd like to see some valid, proven statistics on the benefit of OC over CC in every day life. The poll I'd like to see is what professions OCers are that they can OC "all the time" like I see stated here a lot.

I CC because of Florida law but when I lived in PA and GA, I also CCed by choice. Everything is a matter of choice. And I choose to NOT be lumped in with the antagonists.
    Well, I'd NOT try to lump all OC'ers into a given category, particularly one that has negative connotations. If one has read any of this long standing and often repeated "discussion/arguement" through a myriad of threads..... the OC'ers have their "case" well represented, as does the CC'ers.

I mean, some folks just LOVE to be the first target of opportunity..... (OK, that was a joke. Lighten up!)

Anyway, it bottoms out to be a personal preference. Never let it be said that the old Gunny would ever support any effort to deprive (or ridicule) another human for their application of their "Rights", 2nd Ammendment or otherwise. Even to the point of non interference with those who prefer NOT to exercise their rights. (Just don't try to take away my "options" in the matter to make me conform to your behavior patterns. It tends to tick me off.)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast