Poll - OC or CC - Page 7

View Poll Results: If both OC and CC is/were an option, which of the following best applies to you:

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • OC all the time.

6 4.92%
  • OC most of the time but CC on occasion.

18 14.75%
  • CC all the time.

44 36.07%
  • CC most of the time but OC on occasion

54 44.26%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll - OC or CC

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    As do big business. ADT alarm company puts signs in yards and stickers on windows. Brinks and Guardia use marked and armored cars and visibly armed security guards. All the car alarm companies have the flashing red light in the dash visible from outside the car. Funny how none of those companies rely upon the "element of surprise" isn't it? You would think with all their experience, research and resources they would know better.

I must disagree. The poll is skewed because of the KNOWN aduience that was asked to participate. It is known that the majority of posters on this forum are CC only ravers. Ask the same poll at OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... and you would get equally skewed results in favor of OC ravers.
    Hey now I'm PRO CHOICE DON"T LUMP ME in the same boat as those Martian's!!!!

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Thank you!
    Gonna answer my question, Al? The one about your "not 100%" comment.

Again, thanks in advance.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Excuse me? Im not on the forum as nuch as I use to be, did the winds change? For a couple years I basically lived on this forum and NEVER saw an OC chastise a CC without being provoked first. Mostly I saw anti OCs start threads about why CC is better or OC is bad.
    Take a closer look. Most of the full-time OCers seem to be offended that somebody would choose CC over OC. Their venom is quite palpable. Makes me wonder about their true motivations for OCing. Like an old playwrite once said (sorta) - Methinks they doth protest too much.

I happen to believe that the idea of OCing always deterring crime is a myth. Ditto for the idea that surprise has no defensive applications, and for the idea that a BG wouldn't treat an OCer as any more of a threat than they would somebody without a pistol on their hip.

Myths are in the eyes of the beholder. Believe what you want. I have no problem with it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Take a closer look. Most of the full-time OCers seem to be offended that somebody would choose CC over OC. Their venom is quite palpable. Makes me wonder about their true motivations for OCing. Like an old playwrite once said (sorta) - Methinks they doth protest too much.
    And we have to wonder about the motives for Conceal Carrying. You would rather a criminal go ahead and attack you because you look like every other victim in the public so that you can use your "element of surprise" and shoot someone? If you have a choice between deterrence and active defense, you prefer active defense so that you can be judge, jury and possibly executioner? You would rather put your family through the trauma of the initial attack, the defense to the attack, and the possibly civil and criminal court cases rather than take the chance that a criminal might be deterred by your gun?

I too believe and agree that "open carry will deter every crime" is a myth. But if it deters just one attack against me and my family, then I have accomplished my goal. There is simply no evidence that open carry presents any more danger to the person carrying the gun, so the benefit of possible deterrence of even one attack far outweighs the purely theoretical added danger. It's not about absolutes because there are no absolutes. All we state - with factual evidence - is that, for us, the benefit of possible deterrence of open carry far outweighs any theorized added risk.

I also agree that the "element of surprise" will enhance the effectiveness of any attack, whether that attack be the initial attack by the criminal, or the defensive attack by the victim. The problem is the huge gamble associated with the "element of surprise" because when it comes time for the victim to exercise their "element of surprise" it is against a criminal who already has gained the advantage. It is a gamble that your "element of surprise" will overcome the criminal's already gained advantage. That's a gamble I simply will not entrust my life, or my family's lives to.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Gonna answer my question, Al? The one about your "not 100%" comment.

Again, thanks in advance.
    I believe Navy LCDR already answered it for me, and very well I might add.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Whether you OC or CC, doesn't matter to me. Don't try to tell me my choice is wrong, and I won't do the same to you.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Whether you OC or CC, doesn't matter to me. Don't try to tell me my choice is wrong, and I won't do the same to you.
    I would not say we tell them their choice is wrong. We just tell them why their excuses they use to tell us we are wrong don't hold water or pass any common sense check.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR:224697
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I would not say we tell them their choice is wrong. We just tell them why their excuses they use to tell us we are wrong don't hold water or pass any common sense check.
    That must be the palpable hate he is taking about? Do you have any more tissues for him navy?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I think we've been trying that. So far, they don't listen to that either.

But what else is new? So far, the anti-OC part of the CC crowd seem to think they know everything. It's not our fault they don't.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast