Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 25
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by m444ss:258666

The argument that the bad guy will single out open carriers as first targets buys into the existing, liberal thought that no one should carry a gun. If everyone (or most everyone) carried, then who would the bad guy target first? If we all carry openly, then we encourage the bad guys to behave. If we all carry concealed, as far as the bad guy knows, no one is carrying. Sometimes I carry open, sometimes concealed. I see good reasons to do both, but we ought to all be encouraging "Average Joe" to be okay with most folks carrying and bad guys expecting most folks to be carrying. In such society, open carry would be a net positive to all. The goal should not be to "get the bad guy first"...the goal should be to encourage the bad guy to behave in the first place.
    There are many good reasons for and against OC that have been discussed here. But every once in awhile this crap raises its head. BecauseI prefer to keep the fact that I CC to myself I am a gun hating liberal.

Also believe in birth control instead of abortion, so by your logic I need to slap on a condom and go walking down the street flapping in the wind or i am promoting abortion. Do you see how your logic is the dumbest possible? I need to "educate" people about birth control.

You need to mind your own business and let others mind theirs. Its the liberals that try to force their opinions down others throats.
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

When bad guys stop robbing convenience stores because they notice they're full of cops, I'll start worrying about how I carry. Bad guys ain't exactly the sharpest tools in the drawer, nor the most observant, and they don't look for people that are carrying before broadcasting their intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    There are many good reasons for and against OC that have been discussed here. But every once in awhile this crap raises its head. BecauseI prefer to keep the fact that I CC to myself I am a gun hating liberal.

Also believe in birth control instead of abortion, so by your logic I need to slap on a condom and go walking down the street flapping in the wind or i am promoting abortion. Do you see how your logic is the dumbest possible? I need to "educate" people about birth control.

You need to mind your own business and let others mind theirs. Its the liberals that try to force their opinions down others throats.
    I don't understand your post.

No one here is calling CC'ers gun hating liberals, on the other hand OC'ers get called cowboys, in your face, down your throat, attention whore, etc etc quite often. I believe m444 was saying those that are against OC for one of many unsubstantiated reasons follow the liberal mindset...not that CC'ers in general are.

Also, indecent exposure is completely different. Walking around flapping is illegal, walking around with a holstered firearm is legal. Apples and oranges.

As an open carrier, I am not forcing my business down people's throats...if I was I would indeed be causing a lot of trouble. I would end up in jail if I forced my gun down someone's throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I would end up in jail if I forced my gun down someone's throat.
    It really depends on whether or not she's into that sort of thing, don't you think?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen
    Also, indecent exposure is completely different. Walking around flapping is illegal, walking around with a holstered firearm is legal. Apples and oranges.
    Actually, public nudity is not illegal in Washington. But I would still rather you kept your apples and oranges in your pants, please. Melons are OK, for the most part, though.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR:259170
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen
    Actually, public nudity is not illegal in Washington. But I would still rather you kept your apples and oranges in your pants, please. Melons are OK, for the most part, though.
    I stand corrected....war if you ever visit Washington, and you feel that strongly about b.c....let it flap all you want
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. I agree that the concealed carry method gives one the edge if anytime were to occur when said weapon was needed. Why court trouble and "dare" someone else to take you on. There is always someone out there who wants to be "top gun" and would try to do something to bring to the fore a situation where you might have to put up or shut up. Quiet diplomacy is always better in the long run.

And I AM a liberal who does NOT want anyone's gun taken away from them unless they prove they are not competent to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by fjpor:260243
    I agree that the concealed carry method gives one the edge if anytime were to occur when said weapon was needed. Why court trouble and "dare" someone else to take you on. There is always someone out there who wants to be "top gun" and would try to do something to bring to the fore a situation where you might have to put up or shut up. Quiet diplomacy is always better in the long run.
    Can you give any real world examples to back up your opinion that oc is daring for trouble? Or that someone picked an open carrier to prove who was top gun?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are we really still beating this dead dog? Over 200 responses, 8000 views and still no resolution other then opinion. I posted earlier and will repeat in a shorter degree;
    Most crime is not pre-planned, it's a crime of opportunity. Most criminals are not professional strike teams. They happen on a circumstance that looks viable to them in NOT getting caught or SO HIGH that they have NO ability to think. The first will usually walk away or wait till a visible OC leaves the area. The second is anyone's guess. My wife's uncle is retired DOJ with a doctorates and was assigned to STATS. He stated that NO reports have ever surfaced that he remembers that pointed to an OC being targeted. I'm sure somewhere someplace someone has tried it. BUT my research has not shown one case.
    OC if you legally can or not, it's your choice. ONLY CC if you legally can or not, again it's your choice. CARRY as you feel comfortable and you think the surroundings will accept. (ie... Watts at 0300 walking around with a 44 MAG strapped to your leg is not good sense) Common sense and your ability SHOULD prevail BUT some never seem to drink from that well.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

11. Quote Originally Posted by ONLYPILL View Post
    "Cops" is the operative word here.

You are going to be fighting alone, not with a partner, backup forces, a dispatcher listening in, and an arsenal in the patrol car!

There is no comparision.
    As an ex-cop who lost his partner, you don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of the police who die are shot before they've had a chance to pull their gun and most of them were by themselves without backup. The fact is, the more guns that are visible, the more crime is deterred. But if you are afraid to take the miniscual chance of getting shot, hide the gun.

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast