Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 26
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

1. Open Carry is the first line of defense against the anti- gun left and the first casualty in states where OCers donít practice their Open Carry rights. A recent survey done in Idaho showed that 90+% of our citizens were unaware that they could Open Carry without a license. 95+% of the citizens of California did not know that they could Open Carry and because of their ignorance, they donít miss that right and now that the anti-gun left won their battle there, they are fashioning legislation to further curtail Concealed Carry. Wherever you are from, if there isnít a large contingent of Open Carry folks there, you can bet that someone is planning their demised in the legislature.
    We Open Carry primarily to educate the public about their right to Open Carry, which makes it less likely for the anti-gun left to pass their laws. If we deter a crime, great, if we get a chance to confront a life threatening BG, all the better. Besides, drawing from your side holster is 2 seconds faster with much less noticeable body movement than drawing from your back, and 3 seconds faster than drawing when sitting.
    This is a fact of a gun ownerís life - Use It or Lose It
    Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    "Only the good guys Open Carry"
    (208) 918-0639
    [email protected]
    idahoopencarry.org

3. I too beleive it is a personal choice to CC or OC. The fact of the matter is whether OC prevents or provokes depends on the BG. Because we and the BG are human and react differently when presented with a situation. Most BG will be more likely to choose an easier target just like looking for the unlocked door on a car or house, however, you will have some BG that either are drunk/drugged out to the point they don't care or want to prove how "BAD" they really are. Life and people are a crap shoot, if we could predict everyone's behavior in any given situation we would be really, really rich.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Why do cops open carry?
    Because everyone knows they are armed anyways. Might as well make it easier on yourself to draw when everyone knows you are armed...

It's...(gasp)...the thread...that wouldn't...diiiiie....

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    It's...(gasp)...the thread...that wouldn't...diiiiie....
    LG;
    You know if this thread did die someone would just start another one.

Quote Originally Posted by IOC View Post
    As an ex-cop who lost his partner, you don't know what you are talking about. The vast majority of the police who die are shot before they've had a chance to pull their gun and most of them were by themselves without backup. The fact is, the more guns that are visible, the more crime is deterred. But if you are afraid to take the miniscual chance of getting shot, hide the gun.
    IOC,
    Sorry for the loss of a former partner, and LE officer, and thank you for speaking up on this issue. I carry both ways all the time I legally can do so. One open, one concealed. The debate of which one is the best way is irrelevant to me. I take my strengths from both types. If an attacker is undeterred by seeing my open carry gun,....perhaps my concealed one will change their mind?
    "Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well, I've come to give you either one. Or get either one from you." Josie Wales

8. Unfortunately, Florida is CC state and OC is not allowed out in public - used to be and there is a bill proposed to allow it again which will pass. In meantime, do what I can to keep myself safe and try to be as vigilent, aware of situation, etc. but never can plan for all occurances. Those who obey the laws alway seem to have the disadvantage when it comes to this type situation.

9. Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Why do cops open carry?
    Who cares? Everybody already knows they are carrying.

I am in Ohio where OC is legal however, I don't typically OC intentionally. I do use and outside carry holster which at times may ride above my shirt if I reach up and I am ok with that. I just fix my clothing if needed. I think the element of surprise is important but situations are all different. For that reason I often use deploy the NY Reload. A back up is always a good idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by usarmyguy:262839
    I am in Ohio where OC is legal however, I don't typically OC intentionally. I do use and outside carry holster which at times may ride above my shirt if I reach up and I am ok with that. I just fix my clothing if needed. I think the element of surprise is important but situations are all different. For that reason I often use deploy the NY Reload. A back up is always a good idea!!
    I'm assuming you didn't read the whole thread..in any case as local girl put it so well, only you will be the one surprised. To each his own, carry the way you feel employs the best chances of survival. I feel deterrence works for me.

Welcome to the online battlefield....forum....:-)

Have fun :-)
    ďOne of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.Ē Ė Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast