Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 30
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by IOC View Post
    There is no documented evidence that an OC'er is more susceptible to a confrontation than a CC’er. There is, however, documented evidence that OC’ers have deterred crime; a recent one being the Waffle House in Georgia where the two lookouts who went into the Waffle House, saw the OC’ers and instructed their cohorts to wait in the car until the OC’ers left but, before that happened, a law enforcement officer noticed 4 men just sitting in the car behind the restaurant and, when the officer checked them out, found that they were armed and waiting for the OC’ers to leave, this according to one of the young lookouts who confessed.
    If you're talking to me you're preaching to the choir friend.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    1. Why do cops open carry? It isn't for deterrence, that's just silly. Since they are in uniform already and advertising that they are cops... They carry open for ease of draw. Obviously it is quicker.

2. What is this whole element of surprise thing about CCW? Only an offender has the element of surprise. A defender doesn't. A swat team raids a drug house at 5 am when everyone is sleeping. That is the element of surprise. Carrying concealed over carrying open isn't about the element of surprise--
    It is about being able to function normally in daily life without alarming the So again it isn't about the element of surprise, but disguise. One must look like a so as not to confuse or frighten the Simple.
    FIXED ..........

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

4. Quote Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
    Why do u want to OC so badly?
    Because I am selfish. I would rather that a criminal see my gun and move on to the next target that does not appear to be armed, than to attack me and/or my family requiring me to defend us against the attack and put my family through the trauma and court cases that might be associated. And it's just plain easier.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. I OC all day, every day. No issues, no problems. According to your state law....carry however you want that is legal.

To the OP...don't go around posting your opinion like it's fact. Only makes you look ridiculous.

6. I think it should be a choice whether to open carry or carry concealed. We have given up to many of our freedoms and liberties already. Open carry or concealed carry does not matter to the criminals . . . they will carry anyway and do as they please. You can walk down the street in FL with a shotgun or rifle (granted the police will want to talk to you) but it is legal. It should be legal for a handgun as well.

I'm looking forward to the day when open carried is allowed in New York. That way, I can still carried concealed and let all the cowboys around me provide the targets for the criminals who aren't deterred by open carry.

It is getting harder and harder to arm ourselves. It seems that most politicians in our liberal state are against all forms of being armed. Slowly, but surely, they are destroy our ability to defend ourselves. You people in states where your rights have not been destroyed better make sure you elect politicians that will uphold the U.S. Constitution. Liberals are taking over everywhere.

9. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm looking forward to the day when open carried is allowed in New York. That way, I can still carried concealed and let all the cowboys around me provide the targets for the criminals who aren't deterred by open carry.
    I found this portrait of nogods and B2Tall....

Looking good, guys!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I'm confused, is this the OC thread? Or the bash the OCer thread? We don't bash the CCer's. One of my reasons for OCing is it's more comfortable. A full size semi won't fit in my pocket, and I wear my shirts tucked in.

-That which is hidden becomes an easy thing to make people fear but that which is seen everyday becomes accepted and commonplace.-

OC as a political statement and as an opportunity to educate folks is an exceptionally valid reason to OC simply because...........

There are too many people who think the "carry permit" actually IS the right to bear arms. I have heard the following statement so many times it makes me want to puke:

"Sure I have the right to carry a gun. All I have to do is go get a permit."

That statement is an epic failure to understand that if you have the "right" you do not need to ask permission and the government issued permission slip of a "permit" actually IS the very "infringement" mentioned in the 2nd Amendment of "shall not be infringed". And if people do not see that there is the right to carry a gun then they will never know the difference between a "right" and the paid for and ass kissed to the government privilege of a "permit".

At the present time, at least in Michigan (your State my vary... check your own State's laws), there is no "permit" required to OC and, even though possessing a gun is still restricted by law, OC is the closest thing to the actual "right to bear arms" while a "permit" is the opposite and the very "infringement" referred to with "shall not infringe".

It is my very unpopular opinion that the CC permit system is the reason the right to bear arms is disappearing simply because if the general public doesn't know they have the right to carry a gun they won't oppose any restrictions, regulations, or infringements on that right.

Want to lose the right to bear arms completely? Keep on hiding your right by hiding your gun.

And it is also my exceptionally controversial opinion that there are many CC'ers who hide their fear of being different from everyone else, their fear of not fitting in, their fear that someone might say something about them, their fear to take a stand, behind the BS excuse that hiding their gun with CC gives them some mystical magical super ninja "element of surprise" when all they have is the ability to respond AFTER the attack begins... and it is the bad guy who "surprised" them by attacking in the first place.

CC has it's uses but I'm getting very tired of hearing that CC is better than OC because with CC you get to "surprise" the bad guy. It is far better to "surprise" the bad guy by him seeing your OC'd gun before he attacks and changing his mind than to try to "surprise" him into changing his mind after he is already attacking.

I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to stop an attack before it starts... and OC has that ability where CC has the ability to make the carrier look exactly like all the other potential victims the bad guy is thinking of attacking.

And I personally wonder about the mindset of those CC'ers who think the bad guy had better not attack them because if he does they will whip out their hidden gun and get all "element of surprise" on his arse.

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast