Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 33
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Wouldn't you be more in the dark by being concealed and more in the light by being open?
    What if I was open carrying in my house with no lights on? And then I conceal and walk outside into the light?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I think that depends on if he got his cookies or not.
    All I know is I never received my cookie for owning a Glock.

3. i read the original post, and laughed my ass off, for about a minute. it's about the dumbest thing i've read this week, and i just finished reading an article on erotic massage written by a Dominican girl in broken English.

4. Funny you mention

I've actually been thinking about posting about this as well. I believe open carry is bad practice as well ONLY to those who aren't 1Extremely situationally aware 2 Confident and very well trained. However even then it's a gamble. NEVER overestimate yourself. To a low life thug you might scare some away but, to those who are desperate your open gun might be an invitation and, personally i would rather have as said above the advantage of suprise. Remember action is faster then reaction, we are always on the defense when carrying no matter how we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    All I know is I never received my cookie for owning a Glock.
    That is wrong on so many levels...
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by hobbick8462 View Post
    I've actually been thinking about posting about this as well. I believe open carry is bad practice as well ONLY to those who aren't 1Extremely situationally aware 2 Confident and very well trained. However even then it's a gamble. NEVER overestimate yourself. To a low life thug you might scare some away but, to those who are desperate your open gun might be an invitation and, personally i would rather have as said above the advantage of suprise. Remember action is faster then reaction, we are always on the defense when carrying no matter how we do it.
    Are you saying it's good practice if you conceal carry and you do not have situational awareness or confidence and competence/training?

Are you saying a criminal would pick an armed victim over an unarmed victim?

What are you going to surprise them with? Your gun? What do you expect him to do after you surprise him? Run away? Do you think you can draw your firearm from under concealment faster than someone else can pull the trigger of a gun all ready aimed at you? Or faster then a knife penetrating your body that's all ready pressed against your clothing?

You are right, action is faster than reaction...so why not take action now by staying aware, open carrying, and deterring the criminal, instead of reacting later after the attack has started, hoping you can surprisingly draw your firearm before he pulls his trigger?

What I am saying is, I don't see you going into the concealed carry section and posting this...

I've actually been thinking about posting about this as well. I believe conceal carry is bad practice as well ONLY to those who aren't 1Extremely situationally aware 2 Confident and very well trained. However even then it's a gamble. NEVER overestimate yourself. To a low life thug you might scare some away but, to those who are desperate your concealed gun might be an invitation and, personally i would rather have as said above the advantage of deterrence. Remember action is faster then reaction, we are always on the defense when carrying no matter how we do it
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

My youngest son said he wanted to get a Glock, I kicked his butt.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Chen, Im not mad, just disappointed.

9. I have concealed carried for over 15 years. Started open carrying for the past two years everywhere after reading postings mostly on open carry dot org from those that have actually open carried and realizing many who conceal and argue against open carry never carried open. I would say most of the reasons against are based from opinions and assumptions passed on from those that have no firsthand knowledge or experience open carrying.
    Sure, I believe there may be situations other than the law that open carrying all the time may not be a good choice. However, if known to the majority of the public to be legal and accepted by law as it should if legal then all is good for open carrying.
    For me I just feel safer open carrying over concealed, people are more polite, it is not an issue with the law, and no one seems to care, people say excuse me more often when they want to get by me or my family, I never have any issues while waiting in line after shopping. If reaching for an item behind me while shopping they always will say they are behind me. Fewer beggars approach me. Therefore, as one that has concealed for over 15 years and now whom actually open carried for the past two years everywhere in NV mostly in Las Vegas some in Utah and AZ with no issues I say all is good. I still have my conceal permit as I do conceal in my church and once or twice a year while out.
    If one has read up on the laws, researched open carry in the area where the will have the firearm, use and train on a good retention holster all should be well as a rule. If after some time, open carrying one starts having several negative issues time to rethink the carry issue.
    I have read hundreds of posting of those that have went from concealing to open carrying and cannot remember one that after being comfortable with open carrying decided to go back to concealing. Like the vast majority of Americans, the odds are in our favor I will never have to put a hand on it to defend my life and after over 17 years of carrying so far so good. Hoping the right to have never turns into the need to use.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps:271444
    I have concealed carried for over 15 years. Started open carrying for the past two years everywhere after reading postings mostly on open carry dot org from those that have actually open carried and realizing many who conceal and argue against open carry never carried open. I would say most of the reasons against are based from opinions and assumptions passed on from those that have no firsthand knowledge or experience open carrying.
    Great post, couldn't agree with you more on this point.

11. I visit businesses around the Treasure Valley delivering “Idaho Gun Law” pamphlets and promoting Open Carry. The #1 reason I hear from those who CC but never OC is that, “it makes people feel uncomfortable." But how would they know that it makes people feel uncomfortable if they have never done it. What they are really saying is that they would feel uncomfortable OC'ing. OC’ers who have OC'ed for any length of time have discovered that if anyone is feeling uncomfortable, it isn't obvious. Seldom does anyone mention it – and - when they do, it is just to discuss OC. OC’ers have a great time introducing the practice to those who had no idea that it is legal to do so. OC’ers are the public relations ambassadors for 2nd Amendment rights and we are in the business of making people feel comfortable with the practice.
    [email protected]
    Only the Good Guys (and Girls) Open Carry

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast