Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 34
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by IOC View Post
    I visit businesses around the Treasure Valley delivering “Idaho Gun Law” pamphlets and promoting Open Carry. The #1 reason I hear from those who CC but never OC is that, “it makes people feel uncomfortable." But how would they know that it makes people feel uncomfortable if they have never done it. What they are really saying is that they would feel uncomfortable OC'ing. OC’ers who have OC'ed for any length of time have discovered that if anyone is feeling uncomfortable, it isn't obvious. Seldom does anyone mention it – and - when they do, it is just to discuss OC. OC’ers have a great time introducing the practice to those who had no idea that it is legal to do so. OC’ers are the public relations ambassadors for 2nd Amendment rights and we are in the business of making people feel comfortable with the practice.
    [email protected]
    Only the Good Guys (and Girls) Open Carry
    In my opinion the CC'ers who are adamantly against OC are that way because.....

They are afraid to stand up to confrontation...

They are afraid someone might look at them funny...

They are afraid someone might say nasty things about them..

They are afraid folks might avoid them..

They are afraid they might be "embarrassed"...

They are afraid people will look down their noses at them...

They are afraid to stand out from the crowd... to be different.. to not fit in...

They are just plain afraid.

And to hide that fear from themselves they will offer weak excuses and factless "what ifs" in an attempt to put down OC... and those who... aren't afraid.

My wife just read this post over my shoulder and she says those CC'ers who attack OC suffer from a medical condition called "Lackaballs".

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    And to hide that fear from themselves they will offer weak excuses and factless "what ifs" in an attempt to put down OC... and those who... aren't afraid.

My wife just read this post over my shoulder and she says those CC'ers who attack OC suffer from a medical condition called "Lackaballs".
    Actually, they are afraid they will be targeted by criminals because of their guns. I don't consider that to be a weak excuse, they really are afraid of that, regardless of whether or not it happens in reality.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

4. Quote Originally Posted by hobbick8462 View Post
    I've actually been thinking about posting about this as well. I believe open carry is bad practice as well ONLY to those who aren't 1Extremely situationally aware 2 Confident and very well trained. However even then it's a gamble. NEVER overestimate yourself. To a low life thug you might scare some away but, to those who are desperate your open gun might be an invitation and, personally i would rather have as said above the advantage of suprise. Remember action is faster then reaction, we are always on the defense when carrying no matter how we do it.
    so much FAIL in one post....where do i begin?

5. [QUOTE=jahwarrior72;271909]so much FAIL in one post....where do i begin?

I hope 72 isn't your birth year because, your using words that a teenager would use, which then leads me to ask why your posting on here at all.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Are you saying it's good practice if you conceal carry and you do not have situational awareness or confidence and competence/training?

Are you saying a criminal would pick an armed victim over an unarmed victim?

What are you going to surprise them with? Your gun? What do you expect him to do after you surprise him? Run away? Do you think you can draw your firearm from under concealment faster than someone else can pull the trigger of a gun all ready aimed at you? Or faster then a knife penetrating your body that's all ready pressed against your clothing?

You are right, action is faster than reaction...so why not take action now by staying aware, open carrying, and deterring the criminal, instead of reacting later after the attack has started, hoping you can surprisingly draw your firearm before he pulls his trigger?

What I am saying is, I don't see you going into the concealed carry section and posting this...

I've actually been thinking about posting about this as well. I believe conceal carry is bad practice as well ONLY to those who aren't 1Extremely situationally aware 2 Confident and very well trained. However even then it's a gamble. NEVER overestimate yourself. To a low life thug you might scare some away but, to those who are desperate your concealed gun might be an invitation and, personally i would rather have as said above the advantage of deterrence. Remember action is faster then reaction, we are always on the defense when carrying no matter how we do it
    Firefighterchen to start out there’s not one point in the post that says it would be okay to carry w/o situational awareness. What I'm saying is I think that OC should only be done at a MORE hightend level of situational awareness than CC.

To answer your other question, yes given the state of mind of the perp, while OC you are showing everyone what you have at face value, as well as making it that much easier for someone to get at it (your weapon). Hence why YOU CANNOT SURPRISE ANYONE.

Which leads me to that. Are you honestly telling me given a scenario, such as the one that just happened in Milwaukee, WI. There was a hold up in Aldi, armed suspects came in to rob the store, the robbers could have looked around and probably did however they DID NOT see anyone with a weapon therefore were unprepared and (surprised) when the CCer brought out his weapon and neutralized the situation. In the situation you provided you would be no more likely than I if you were OC at neutralizing the subject if a gun was already pointed at you or knife was to your clothing (action-reaction).

I’m not trying to have a **** measuring contest because, I would hope your maturity level is past some of these other trolls that just go around and post on forums when they have arguments that make no sense, and continue to argue. I have read your arguments but, do not understand what you are trying to say. CC gives you an advantage of other people not knowing IF YOU HAVE A WEAPON, what weapon you have, and where its located that is what I like about it, (element of surprise.)

7. Firefighterchen to start out there’s not one point in the post that says it would be okay to carry w/o situational awareness. What I'm saying is I think that OC should only be done at a MORE hightend level of situational awareness than CC.

To answer your other question, yes given the state of mind of the perp, while OC you are showing everyone what you have at face value, as well as making it that much easier for someone to get at it (your weapon). Hence why YOU CANNOT SURPRISE ANYONE.

Which leads me to that. Are you honestly telling me given a scenario, such as the one that just happened in Milwaukee, WI. There was a hold up in Aldi, armed suspects came in to rob the store, the robbers could have looked around and probably did however they DID NOT see anyone with a weapon therefore were unprepared and (surprised) when the CCer brought out his weapon and neutralized the situation. In the situation you provided you would be no more likely than I if you were OC at neutralizing the subject if a gun was already pointed at you or knife was to your clothing (action-reaction).

I’m not trying to have a **** measuring contest because, I would hope your maturity level is past some of these other trolls that just go around and post on forums when they have arguments that make no sense, and continue to argue. I have read your arguments but, do not understand what you are trying to say. CC gives you an advantage of other people not knowing IF YOU HAVE A WEAPON, what weapon you have, and where its located that is what I like about it, (element of surprise.)

8. [QUOTE=hobbick8462;271947]
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    so much FAIL in one post....where do i begin?

I hope 72 isn't your birth year because, your using words that a teenager would use, which then leads me to ask why your posting on here at all.
    Sorry, I didn't realize words had age limitations.

:rollseyes:

As for my choice of words, at least I spelled them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbick8462 View Post
    Firefighterchen to start out there’s not one point in the post that says it would be okay to carry w/o situational awareness. What I'm saying is I think that OC should only be done at a MORE hightend level of situational awareness than CC.

You, and other Ninja Carriers like you, have this unhealthy obsession with The Element Of Surprise. I hear this phrase so much, I'm wondering if Surprise should be an addition to the Periodic Table of Elements.

I'll say this slowly, so you can understand. Concealing has no advantage over carrying openly, except one, and yes, that is surprise. However, TEOS is never a good defensive strategy, only an offensive one.

Awareness levels should be the same, regardless of the method of carry, so you FAILed there, as well.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ONLYPILL View Post
    Open Carry has many fans, but when it comes down to a firefight, it will fail you.
    Just like it failed me on the PD and Vietnam? I don't think so. Slapping leather a few inches from your hand is where it is at. Less than a second to draw. Where did you get your info that "it will fail you?" Comic books?

I have OC'ed for years, even walking through the projects and tent city in my town, a town that has been over-run by crack addicts and drug dealers from Detroit. Nobody has tried for my gun, ever. I do however carry a BUG. I also am trained in many areas, one being weapon retention. Is training needed for OC? Not anymore than training is needed for peeing your pants. I would recommend a good holster with some sort of retention, but even that isn't a requirement. Element of surprise my butt. That's like saying rape is ok if you yell surprise first, after all, it wouldn't be rape then, it would be surprise sex.

I'm ok with the looks, the stares, the occasional Walmart cashier who doesn't know the law nor their own store's policies. Sometimes a cop will stop and we can generally have a civil conversation about OC, most that I have met support it. Every time you see a new law being passed that Law Enforcement groups disapprove of, it isn't the street cops saying no, it's the higher ups. It's the Chief or Sheriff saying no and that's only because they have someone to answer to as well who may not think even the police should have guns. I know, shocking, but I've heard it from the mouths of liberals that every gun should be wiped off this planet. Pull a knife, ask if they feel safer. Twits...

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hobbick8462 View Post

The first part of my post was a series of questions, not statements. Hence the question marks at the end of my sentences.

If you believe you need any less situational awareness when you conceal, you fail tactics 101.

I believe, the Milwaukee incident could have been completely averted if the guy open carried. Just like the waffle house, where they cased the place, saw an open carrier, waited in the car for the carrier to leave, but got caught by the police for
    suspiciously sitting in a parking lot.

CC gives you nothing over OC when It comes to an armed violent criminal. We are both in a bad situation. But cc does nothing for you against the majority of criminals as well, unless you feel like being judge jury and executioner. OC deters that criminal, avoiding the event entirely.

If you had to rob someone, would you honestly pick someone carrying a gun over
    someone not carrying a gun?

Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast