Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 37
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

1. Quote Originally Posted by Irishcopper View Post
    Because there are feral sub-humans that would see you packing your openly carried holstered weapon and shoot you on general principal. Open carry in the 21st Century is not a deterrent to violent criminals. A better option is to remain concealed and let he A$$40L#s wonder who is carrying. Keep them guessing! Make them wonder "I wonder if that guy is packing and will shoot me!" I hate to break this news to you, after many years on the streets I have learned that reality is not a "Dirty Harry" movie.
    Irishcopper you need to read the thousands of open carry postings from across the country on open carry dot org. No OCer has been shot on general principal. So guess again. I do have a CCW and have concealed for over 15 years now open carry 99% of the time. I have opened carried all over NV, mostly Las Vegas; everywhere I go, some in Utah and AZ for over two years. A lot of the time open carrying down the interstate traveling on a motorcycle for all who pass or I pass to see. I hate to break the news to you however; your concern is a pipe dream of your own making. I have firsthand OC and CCW experience carrying 99% of the time. OC works better for me. I feel safer, it is more comfortable, people are more polite, no problems waiting in lines, no BS, and few street people ask me for money. Yep an Irishcopper pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Would double stuff Oreos be OK?
    No, has to be homemade choc chips. I'll give away the dog for homemade choc chips.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

In all due respect sir, you don't have any facts to back up what you say. There is no statistical evidence suggesting that open carry is wise from a tactical standpoint. Pipedream? Damn, I haven't heard that term in many years! Open carry in an urban setting like Detroit, New Orleans and Memphis is simply a tactically poor choice. Those are the beats that I've worked dealing everyday with some of the most feral sub-humans you can imagine.

If you want to walk around Arizona, Nevada and Utah or ride your motorcycle packing a 1911 on your hip like you are Wyatt Earp that is your business. All I suggested was that you at least use a "Level II" holster, practice situational awareness and know some basic weapons retention technics. With regard to your comment "OC works better for me. I feel safer, it is more comfortable, people are more polite, no problems waiting in lines, no BS, and few street people ask me for money." I have read your post several times. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like that you are trying to intimidate people. Do you really think that is is a good idea? I don't care how tough you think you are, there is always someone out there that is tougher and can draw quicker than you!

I've been a military and law enforcement survival and tactics instuctor for twenty years and worked on the streets of America's most dangerous cities. How many real life deadly force encounters have ever been in where open carry gave you an edge on your opponent. It's a rhetorical question that I already know the answer to. It's none!

I support your right to OC under the Second Amendment. However, in all due respect thirty years of military and law enforcement experience tells me it's a bad idea! I guess we will agree to disagree! Stay safe out there!
    National Rifle Association
    Single Action Shooting Society

5. Quote Originally Posted by Irishcopper View Post
    If you want to walk around Arizona, Nevada and Utah or ride your motorcycle packing a 1911 on your hip like you are Wyatt Earp that is your business.
    Ahh yes, slipping down to the immature and unprofessional level of name calling. Yep, that builds a whole lot of credibility right there.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Flanmedic51 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Ahh yes, slipping down to the immature and unprofessional level of name calling. Yep, that builds a whole lot of credibility right there.
    What name calling?? Wyatt Earp was a badass in his day.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Flanmedic51 View Post
    What name calling?? Wyatt Earp was a badass in his day.
    I'm apologize, I did not realize he was offering a compliment.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Flanmedic51 Guest
    I'm apologize, I did not realize he was offering a compliment.
    Well it's interesting that in his long, eloquent and informative opinion of OCing, you pick him apart because he referenced Wyatt Earp. Seems like a bit of a reach, thats all.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Flanmedic51 View Post
    Well it's interesting that in his long, eloquent and informative opinion of OCing, you pick him apart because he referenced Wyatt Earp. Seems like a bit of a reach, thats all.
    It's simple, really. In some places open carry will be more effective at deterring a criminal attack from happening, in others probably not. It's both arrogant and ignorant to make an absolute statement that concealed carry is ALWAYS better than open carry and equally arrogant and ignorant to make the opposite statement as well.

Open carry has served me extremely well for several years where I live, including the bad neighborhoods of Seattle and SEATAC International Airport. Not only has nobody attacked me, but it has opened many pleasant and educational conversations with people. The most resistance that I have faced have come from people exactly like Irishcopper.

Regardless of his "long, eloquent and informative opinion of OCing" he does NOT know what is best for every person in every location.

Flanmedic51 Guest
    It's simple, really. In some places open carry will be more effective at deterring a criminal attack from happening, in others probably not. It's both arrogant and ignorant to make an absolute statement that concealed carry is ALWAYS better than open carry and equally arrogant and ignorant to make the opposite statement as well.

Open carry has served me extremely well for several years where I live, including the bad neighborhoods of Seattle and SEATAC International Airport. Not only has nobody attacked me, but it has opened many pleasant and educational conversations with people. The most resistance that I have faced have come from people exactly like Irishcopper.

Regardless of his "long, eloquent and informative opinion of OCing" he does NOT know what is best for every person in every location.
    Thats all good. He was posting in regards to another post and their reasons of OCing...which...yup...sounded like a cowboy to me too. I tend to question the overall motives of many who OC. Many do it as a political statement and I'm more of an endorser of the practical application of carrying a firearm...not just to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanmedic51 View Post
    Thats all good. He was posting in regards to another post and their reasons of OCing...which...yup...sounded like a cowboy to me too. I tend to question the overall motives of many who OC. Many do it as a political statement and I'm more of an endorser of the practical application of carrying a firearm...not just to show it off.
    That's funny cause I question the overall motives of many who CC. Many do it hoping to be that lucky guy that gets to kill another person and I'm more of an endorser of the practical application of openly carrying a firearm...not just to have the increased chance to kill someone.

I think you need to go talk with some real cowboys, and not base it off a character from Hollywood....

Just saying...:)
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast