Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 41
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    You have actually witnessed " the shopping "SoccerMoms' grabbing the kids, pushing them into the mimi-vans and speeding off to home" when they saw a person open carrying? You have seen this with your own eyes or you have cites and/or links to newspaper articles/news stories stating such?

In short... has this actually happened in real life or are you saying that this is what you THINK will happen?
    ^This.

I OC everywhere I can legally, particularly throughout York, Adams, and Lancaster Counties, including frequent visits to the Battlefields and town of Gettysburg, where many of my friends live and both my parents are buried (Evergreen Cemetery). I must somehow be missing all the excitement.

Scaring the populace is baseless fear-mongering propagated by people who know not (naught) of what they speak. I have been doing this for over 3 years and have had the most wonderful conversations with folks, including LEOs, from all over.

The closest thing I have to a negative encounter was at Pizza Hut on a Saturday afternoon. I was seated at a booth with strong-side facing a family of 8 including young children. One of the little boys spotted my .45 and began tugging at his Mom's sleeve and pointing, eyes wide. Mom's head whipped around, a look of horror and rage on her face (or so it seemed to me). She looked at my hip, then at my face. I gave her a slight smile and nodded my head, and went back to my salad. Mom turned back around and whispered something to her son, and paid no more attention to me. The little boy turned back to me with a sort of sheepish look on his face, and smiled. And that was it.

You see, many have been taught to be alarmed at the mere sight of the gun, but we can easily and effortlessly counter that with a quick friendly gesture.

Much is communicated, yet not a word is spoken.

If you find that folks regularly flee your vicinity, perhaps it is not your firearm that frightens them. Perhaps it is your visage. Consider it a helpful tip. Maybe you can work on that.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanmedic51 View Post
    Thats all good. He was posting in regards to another post and their reasons of OCing...which...yup...sounded like a cowboy to me too. I tend to question the overall motives of many who OC. Many do it as a political statement and I'm more of an endorser of the practical application of carrying a firearm...not just to show it off.
    To be fair, since there isn't a quote in his post we can't really be sure who he's replying to.

Quote Originally Posted by RaJaN Rick View Post
    You have a moral responsibility to protect everyone around you every time you lock, load and carry a gun.
    No, you don't
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Count-to-Nine View Post
    "Many"??? I, for one, am a CC'er who hopes & prays to never get "lucky". I also didn't switch to Geico just to run out & get in an accident... I like savings, and pie, just sayin'
    I believe you as I'm sure FFC does, but all you have to do is read a few of the "Another one bites the dust" threads in the Deadly Force sub-forum and it won't take you 5 minutes to concede that FFC is right.

This forum is loaded w/ people who strap up every single day hoping to get a chance to be a Sheep Dog extrodinare
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

You have actually witnessed " the shopping "SoccerMoms' grabbing the kids, pushing them into the mimi-vans and speeding off to home" when they saw a person open carrying? You have seen this with your own eyes or you have cites and/or links to newspaper articles/news stories stating such?

In short... has this actually happened in real life or are you saying that this is what you THINK will happen?
    There is a restaurant in that area. OC'er will have a breakfast there once a month. There are people that will not go shopping then. I'm not a OC fan but thats a bit redicules. These OC'er are very low key and most would not know they are there. It all comes down to: people take a step back when they see others wearing firearms, in places they consider 'out of place'.
    NRA LIFE/ENDOWMENT MEMBER - 1975 Passed-NYS Conservation Firearms Safety Instructor.
    LIFE MEMBER- VIETNAM VETERANS OF AMERICA
    U.S. NAVY SEAWOLVES- VIETNAM 69/70

Quote Originally Posted by Gettysburg Bill View Post
    There is a restaurant in that area. OC'er will have a breakfast there once a month. There are people that will not go shopping then. I'm not a OC fan but thats a bit redicules. These OC'er are very low key and most would not know they are there. It all comes down to: people take a step back when they see others wearing firearms, in places they consider 'out of place'.
    Ok, but the statement you made was
    However, go to the shopping area, just east of town-WallMart, GiantFoods,Stables, etc.. a person in OC mode is present, you will see the shopping "SoccerMoms' grabbing the kids, pushing them into the mimi-vans and speeding off to home. Where, mostlikely, Dad has firearms somewhere in the house.
    You were asked, quite specifically "Have you actually witnessed this?"

So, have you?

i oc and cc

I cc most of the time but i do oc and it the bad guy can see your gun he will go mess with someone who he dose not think has a gun i can say if you train and shoot for real life you can carry however you want and win i use to train people to shoot for teal life and cq and sniper training and home and shoot gun combat. All you need is to shoot moving on your side back upside down under a car just be ready for anything

Quote Originally Posted by jscooper1975 View Post
    I cc most of the time but i do oc and it the bad guy can see your gun he will go mess with someone who he dose not think has a gun i can say if you train and shoot for real life you can carry however you want and win i use to train people to shoot for teal life and cq and sniper training and home and shoot gun combat. All you need is to shoot moving on your side back upside down under a car just be ready for anything
    Well, I see hotti is back

You know the people personally and they have told you specifically the reason they won't shop there is because of the OC'er(s)? Or do you have news/newpaper articles that say that?

Inquiring minds would like to know if there is anything factual about your statements or if you are merely offering an opinion.

Make no mistake... everyone is entitled to have an opinion... and they have the right to express said opinion. However, it is not credible to present an opinion as a statement of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettysburg Bill:284482

I believe this is the perfect example of carrying only when it's deemed "appropriate", "reasonable", and "acceptable." Which places are considered "out of place"? We should ask the Brady Campaign what places are considered "out of place," we definitely will get a straight answer then. Oh...but you know what, I remember stating earlier there is no reason to contact them, we have enough carriers that want to restrict the 2A all ready.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well Stated!

Just to add a point.

Gettysburg is a town of re-enactors. On any given day, you can see, groups of people dressed as Civil War, World War II, Indian Fighters, and the list goes on.All carring weapons of the day. No one blinks a eye.

However, go to the shopping area, just east of town-WallMart, GiantFoods,Stables, etc.. a person in OC mode is present, you will see the shopping "SoccerMoms' grabbing the kids, pushing them into the mimi-vans and speeding off to home. Where, mostlikely, Dad has firearms somewhere in the house.

~BEST~
    BILL------------------------------------->
    Just more of the same old.... and I quote myself...

Originally posted by Bikenut
    The reason this debate continues is there is always someone who says:

->I support the right to bear arms but.........

They shouldn't bear them in schools..

They shouldn't bear them as a political statement..

They should only bear them concealed...

They should never bear them if it offends others...<-

(----------and what they are really saying is---------)

"Bearing arms should be limited to who/when/where/how/and why it is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable"... to ME."

And that is the exact same perspective the anti gunners have.
    You would have folks keep their openly carried guns on the re enactment field and out of anyplace BUT that field where you think seeing guns is "reasonable", "acceptable", and "appropriate" and not have people see guns where they shop.. where CHILDREN (ZOMG!!! think of the children!!) might see them!... but mainly where YOU think they don't belong.

Well my friend, please consider that the anti gun folks think the very same thing with the exception that they think guns are never "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" anywhere. And they use the same excuse that the mere sight of a gun will cause soccer moms to clutch their children in fear as they scramble to the mini van to get away. You know... that tired old refrain of.... "OH MY GAWD!!!! Think of the children!!!"

Sometimes I think many gun owners/carriers are mini anti gunners because they want gun control just like the true anti gunners.... and the only difference is the degree of gun control considered to be.... "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".

Kudos to Firefighterchen for recognizing the slippery slope of "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable"........................

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast