Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 47
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by counselorcop View Post
    Well said. Much more eloquently than I.
    Why would I want to advertise that I'm prepared to fight?
    Why would I want to advertise that I'm prepared to fight instead of having a super duper secret "element of surprise" that I can suddenly whip out and put the bad guy who attacked me in his place? Consider the following...

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

And considering the title of this thread is "Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy" I would suggest that from the standpoint of open carry having a deterrent ability to prevent an attack perhaps it is concealed carry that would be the "bad strategy".

3. I OC 99% of the time and have had 5 run ons with LEO'S and all 5 runins have led to 5 public apologies because of them not knowing the laws in the state of GA.

Since, I have had no issues! I'm going on 4 years harassment free... I continue to OC.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    I OC 99% of the time and have had 5 run ons with LEO'S and all 5 runins have led to 5 public apologies because of them not knowing the laws in the state of GA.

Since, I have had no issues! I'm going on 4 years harassment free... I continue to OC.
    The most harassment I have received has come from alleged "pro-gun" concealed carry only snobs telling me how I should carry my gun. I doubt if I will get any apologies, public or private.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    I OC 99% of the time and have had 5 run ons with LEO'S and all 5 runins have led to 5 public apologies because of them not knowing the laws in the state of GA.

Yeah, but did you get shot first before you got those apologies? LOL

Seriously though, I for one would be interested to know some details of what happened. Were you arrested? Detained for a long period of time? Did the cops try to intimidate you? Were any costs associated with those run-ins? Were apologies the extent of the "consequences" the cops should've suffered for whatever they did to make them (or their departments) have to apologize in the first place? I'm just curious about generally what happened, not a complete breakdown of each individual encounter, if you're so-inclined to provide a kind of overview.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The most harassment I have received has come from alleged "pro-gun" concealed carry only snobs telling me how I should carry my gun. I doubt if I will get any apologies, public or private.
    Same here. You wouldn't believe how loudly someone (who claims to conceal for the element of surprise and what they believe is a tactical advantage) will proclaim that their way is better. Defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I find it amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Yeah, but did you get shot first before you got those apologies? LOL

Seriously though, I for one would be interested to know some details of what happened. Were you arrested? Detained for a long period of time? Did the cops try to intimidate you? Were any costs associated with those run-ins? Were apologies the extent of the "consequences" the cops should've suffered for whatever they did to make them (or their departments) have to apologize in the first place? I'm just curious about generally what happened, not a complete breakdown of each individual encounter, if you're so-inclined to provide a kind of overview.

Blues
    If you're interested in these kinds of stories, mine is unfolding now. I did a pretty long phone interview yesterday with our local paper. I started a thread about it here...

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/wisco...r-hunting.html

It's got pictures.

I guess if one likes to open carry that is their choice ,I believe the only thing is hunting and fishing in the woods/forest is in Florida.

I love my CWP

Quote Originally Posted by lrl2ndcall View Post
    I love my CWP
    I hate the permit system as much as I hate all the other infringements on our Rights.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I guess if one likes to open carry that is their choice ,I believe the only thing is hunting and fishing in the woods/forest is in Florida.
    Actually, in Florida, it is not your choice. As I understand it, you have about a 95% intolerance for OC there, and the cops may well beat the snot out of you for tempting them even within the 5% of legal open displays of a weapon. In other words, you know nothing of choice.

I love my CWP
    I submit to a usurping government for my permission slip, and hate them with a passion for forcing me to choose between walking around free and actually being free. Thankfully, my adopted home state saw fit to pass and implement a new law making OC legal without having to ask permission starting in August, so I'm a little closer to being a free man now than I have been for the last 21 years since landing here. Still, if I want to travel to TN, FL, MS, GA or NC, I have to maintain a permission slip to comply with other states' reciprocity agreements.

Saying you love your CWP is like saying you love being a subject of The Crown of England. One of the strangest expressions of love I've ever seen on the interwebs.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast