Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 48
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 494

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

  1. #471
    Quote Originally Posted by ONLYPILL View Post
    Concealed Carry is the way to go on the streets. You get the element of surprise.
    Surprise is NOT a defensive strategy... surprise is an offensive strategy, so unless you're the one doing the attacking surprise is just your failed attempt to recover a bad situation.
    Believe it or not, you probably need that extra second it's going to take you to draw from concealment vs drawing from an open holster in a defensive situation.

    Carry however you're comfortable carrying but don't make ridiculous arguments about "defensive surprise"

    BTW, I love being able to open carry in Arkansas now. I've been doing so in Conway for a couple weeks now and it has been completely uneventful, I don't think anyone has even noticed or cared.

  2.   
  3. #472
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by endorphine44 View Post
    Surprise is NOT a defensive strategy... surprise is an offensive strategy, so unless you're the one doing the attacking surprise is just your failed attempt to recover a bad situation.
    Believe it or not, you probably need that extra second it's going to take you to draw from concealment vs drawing from an open holster in a defensive situation.
    This is true. I carry in both modes but most always openly. When properly concealed you look just like any other potential victim. Those times when I conceal I know that I have to be extra vigilant to make sure no threat is headed my way. This is not to say that I let down my SA when OC'ing... just that since I look no different than anyone else my age and stature, I have to be on my toes.

    The myth of the "element of surprise" is just that. Attacks can come from anywhere at any time. And there is this. Even those of us who do OC, unless our sidearm is seen before the attack commences, are just as likely to be "surprised" by an attacker. Our only advantage at that point is speed... getting that gun into action quickly.

    One thing to remember. Just because we carry a firearm, that is no guarantee that we are going to win a gunfight. So that situational awareness thing is paramount in keeping you safe.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  4. #473
    Being that this thread's not going anywhere soon I thought I'd put two more of my cents in, as I have posted I'v been open carrying for a while now, and I can go days and never so much as raised eyebrow, then every now and then, like yesterday for instince, I get a dude that stares at it, don't say nothing, in fact this guy even went to the manager and asked WTF, fortunatly as with most of the places we go they know me and my wife very well, know we carry (and tip well) anyway the manager tells me afterward the dude asked if they allowed guns in the restaurant, and if he was aware that a guy in a booth on the side had a gun (me) and he told him yes he knows, and that I'm there at least once or twice a week, and that he would rather me there than not, restaurant staff cannot carry at work, when we got ready to pay, I told I just hope I never have to use my weapon at all let alone in a crowded restaurant, he definatly agreed..........but never once did our conversations ever had him suggesting maybe it would be better concealed
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

  5. Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Why do cops open carry?
    Everybody knows that police officers have guns. It would be pointless for a police officer to CC.

  6. I carry concealed except when I'm out prospecting. In my area, mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes are fairly common. Not to mention wild dogs. I prefer to carry concealed in public just for the element of surprise and to avoid sneers from the California transplants. Sometimes I carry OWB but it's with a Serpa holster - just in case.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by ShootSig View Post
    Everybody knows that police officers have guns. It would be pointless for a police officer to CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gundaddypv View Post
    I prefer to carry concealed in public just for the element of surprise
    OK...so let's go one step further. If the "element of surprise" is all that, then why don't police officers use it? If they really wanted to catch criminals, instead of having marked police cars, wearing uniforms, and openly carrying firearms then why don't the police dress is street clothes, carry concealed and drive unmarked cars all the time and when they see a crime being committed they can run up to the criminal and yell "SURPRISE" and whip out their concealed guns and badges? Why don't armored car companies use regular vans and guards in street clothes carrying concealed weapons? Why do home alarm companies provide signs for the yards? Why don't they rely on this "element of surprise"?

    Your "element of surprise" is nothing more than betting your life that you can draw your gun and use it against a criminal who has already put you behind the power curve faster than they can detect what you are doing and stop you. You know - like an old west style gunfight.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. Cops and armed guards don't carry their main firearm concealed (many carry a backup gun and it is concealed) because they are already a target just because of what they do for a living. People hate them and target them just because of their badge or because of the cash. Therefore, the weapon they carry serves as a deterrent.

    I'm a nobody. I don't wear a badge. I don't carry large amounts of money. I dress in boring attire. I drive an older car. I'm polite. I wait in line. I drive conservatively. Not too tall and not too short. No purple hair. Not loud. No political bumper stickers. No flashy jewelry. If I were behind you in line at the grocery store, you wouldn't remember me. All the while, I'm carrying 22 rounds of 9mm Federal HydraShok in a Glock 26 with an extra +2 magazine in my pocket. I likely wouldn't be a criminal's first choice, so if it takes me an extra 1.2 seconds to draw, that's fine with me, but nobody expects me to draw. Nobody is aware I'm armed. It's as if I were slightly invisible, and my gun didn't even exist.

    If I were a cop in a pressed, easily-recognizable uniform with a flashy badge, a duty belt loaded with gear and had the power and authority to deny a badguy of his freedom or his life, I would need to be able to draw very quickly. Cops expect to be hated because of their job. Cops expect to be targeted just because they stop badguys. Cops are remembered. Cops are intimidating. Cops have to carry open because that's the fastest way for them to retrieve their firearm.

    As for your argument, why don't they drive plain cars and dress in plain clothes? Because the intimidation-factor of cops and the mere presence of a cop prevents crimes. It is beneficial to see cops out in the open in their starched uniforms and black-and-white cars.

    I hope that cleared things up.

  9. #478
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    My respones in bold-n-blue...

    Quote Originally Posted by gundaddypv View Post
    Cops and armed guards don't carry their main firearm concealed (many carry a backup gun and it is concealed) because they are already a target just because of what they do for a living. People hate them and target them just because of their badge or because of the cash. Therefore, the weapon they carry serves as a deterrent. Why wouldn't your openly carried weapon be a deterrent?

    I'm a nobody. I don't wear a badge. I don't carry large amounts of money. I dress in boring attire. I drive an older car. I'm polite. I wait in line. I drive conservatively. Not too tall and not too short. No purple hair. Not loud. No political bumper stickers. No flashy jewelry. If I were behind you in line at the grocery store, you wouldn't remember me. For all you know, it's these very things that make an easy target... You don't appear to be a threat. All the while, I'm carrying 22 rounds of 9mm Federal HydraShok in a Glock 26 with an extra +2 magazine in my pocket. I likely wouldn't be a criminal's first choice (how do you know...?) , so if it takes me an extra 1.2 seconds to draw, that's fine with me (That could mean your life....) , but nobody expects me to draw. Nobody is aware I'm armed. It's as if I were slightly invisible, and my gun didn't even exist. Your gun doesn't exist in the fight unless you're able to draw it before you're knocked out by a lead pipe or shot (etc)

    If I were a cop in a pressed, easily-recognizable uniform with a flashy badge, a duty belt loaded with gear and had the power and authority to deny a badguy of his freedom or his life, I would need to be able to draw very quickly (Annnd you don't otherwise?) . Cops expect to be hated because of their job (Or b/c some of them beat the sh!t out of others for no good reason and deny certain civil rights when they shouldn't) . Cops expect to be targeted just because they stop badguys (Or avoided by those BGs...) . Cops are remembered. Cops are intimidating. When was the last time you heard of a cop being targeted by a criminal b/c he was a cop... and that was the only crime the BG intended on committing? Cops have to carry open because that's the fastest way for them to retrieve their firearm. Yeppers....

    As for your argument, why don't they drive plain cars and dress in plain clothes? Because the intimidation-factor of cops and the mere presence of a cop prevents crimes. It is beneficial to see cops out in the open in their starched uniforms and black-and-white cars. Ah ha! So, there is a deterrent factor to the showing of force.....!

    I hope that cleared things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  10. #479
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    That's Game, Set and Match---- Gunnerbob!
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  11. Quote Originally Posted by gundaddypv View Post

    I hope that cleared things up.
    In summary, you would rather defend yourself against an attack that has already been started against you rather then deter that attack from ever starting in the first place?!? I'll bet if you asked 90% of the victims of crimes that we would use our guns to defend ourselves against, they would also say, "I likely wouldn't be a criminal's first choice." For example, I lived in a perfectly normal looking house that looked just exactly like every other house on my block. I left for work at 5:00am one morning and at 5:05 a thug kicked the front door of my house in and entered. My dogs chased him out with my wife screaming in the living room. Just because you look like every one else is exactly the reason why the criminals WILL pick you as a target.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast