Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy - Page 6
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Food for thought.

The chances of a gun being involved in the death of a child is much higher in houses that have guns than those that do not. While its sad, the argument against it is that the amount of times those guns have stopped a crime overwhelms the death of a family member.

The chances of getting in a car crash increase if you drive a car, compared to if you don't.

The chances of getting your gun grabbed OC is greater than those that cc. What are those chances, well there has only been one reported indecent in the past decade among the hundred thousands open carriers. If we are losing a big advantage with those chances, people who use guns for home defense are really screwed.
    People who have swiming pools in their backyard are more likely to have family members drown. In fact it has been shown that swiming pools are more likely to kill people than guns. We need to ban swiming pools obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    People who have swiming pools in their backyard are more likely to have family members drown. In fact it has been shown that swiming pools are more likely to kill people than guns. We need to ban swiming pools obviously.
    I recall reading somewhere, that at one time, the CDC (or some gov't agency) said your toddler was more likely to drown in a bucket of water, than almost any other method. I guess we need to ban buckets too.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I recall reading somewhere, that at one time, the CDC (or some gov't agency) said your toddler was more likely to drown in a bucket of water, than almost any other method. I guess we need to ban buckets too.
    They can have my HoDePo buckets when they pry....oh never mind.

5. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    You both are wrong. It's not the pools and it's not the buckets. Water is THE leading cause of drowning. We must ban the water!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You both are wrong. It's not the pools and it's not the buckets. Water is THE leading cause of drowning. We must ban the water!
    And we must ban my mother too -- she will kill me if she knows I am carrying...I must get a restraining order against her... Oooooooh...nevermind
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    Police open carry because they have BADGES pinned on their shirt... (Not CCW badges.)

I like the availability to open carry, just in case my shirt gets hung up covering my weapon. I would rather CC, as noted, just for the surprise factor. Although, OC is probably a little quicker on the draw.

Just stirring the popcorn!
    We don't need no stinking badges. Sorry, I couldn't pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyr View Post
    Cops walk beats alone and drive in a cruiser alone most often in most towns and cities. Cops call for backup when something bad happens just like a citizen calls 911 (which usually goes to the same dispatch).

Again, why do cops open carry?
    The word 'cops' cover a wide family of law enforcement officers. The group of LEO's that open carry most are the partol officers, so I assume you are speaking of patrol officers.

Patrol Officers carry openly for the obvious reasons. 1) as a show of force and the authority to use that force. 2) fast draw in panic situations. Note here that police are thrust into panic situations far more that any civilian ever will be and rely heavily on speedy aquisition. 3) have you seen all the crap they have to carry on their person/belt? 4) quic re-holstering so they can safely manipulate the other tools on their tool belt

Compairing LEO reasoning for open carry against civilian decision to open carry is not a valid comparison. I don't believe "because cops do!" is a valid reasoning for open carry unles your intent is to identify yourself as a cop wanna be, and that reasoning alone is a good enough reason for you to NOT carry at all.

The decision to either OC or CC is a personal one, just like my decision of what type of car I buy. All the expanation in the world why YOU (OCer) bought what you bought is not going to convince me (CCer) that I bought the wrong car. Simply stated "it fits my needs". And we need to recognize this argument goes both ways. I don't care if you legally OC. I may not agree with the decision but it is not my decision to make for you (only your state legislature can make decisions for you without your consent)

I conceal carry for one reason alone. For concealment. I don't want anyone to know I have a gun. It's none of their business. Personnaly I think Open carry will draw more attention to myself and that's not why I carry. I want to be mistaken for a wall flower and ignored by everyone. I don't carry to stand out in a crowd. The element of suprise is a most powerful weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Food for thought.

The chances of a gun being involved in the death of a child is much higher in houses that have guns than those that do not. While its sad, the argument against it is that the amount of times those guns have stopped a crime overwhelms the death of a family member.
    Don't have children!

Quote Originally Posted by ONLYPILL View Post
    Where do you live, Mayberry Lane?

In my area, police even wait for helicopter backup prior to contacting suspects!

And that has nothing to do with the lone victim, who is dead meat if he/she doesn't know the rules of street fighting!

But again, it's your choice.

I am indifferent as to whether you survive or not!

You're not my student, so do what you want!

If everyone open carries, my students all get a bigger advantage, the element of surprise, because the BG's will assume they are unarmed!

Great for us.
    You keep talking about the "rules of the street" Rules of a street fight" etc.. Not sure what kind of street fights you have been in? The number one rule in a street fight is there is no rules he/she who fights the best/dirtier then the other guy wins.

You get all the arm chair Rambo's on here who think that just because they stand in front of a mirror and work on their draw, that some how makes them an expert on tactics. What works best for you does not always work for someone else.

Not sure what city you live in(from the sounds of it, it sounds like IRAQ?) As an above poster has already stated police in many states/towns/cites work alone while out on patrol. Back up is sometimes seconds away and other times it's hours away.

But that's cool, you use what works for you and go watch "Road House" a few more times. The rest of us will carry in a manner that best fits our needs.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walt629:226752
    The word 'cops' cover a wide family of law enforcement officers. The group of LEO's that open carry most are the partol officers, so I assume you are speaking of patrol officers.

Patrol Officers carry openly for the obvious reasons. 1) as a show of force and the authority to use that force. 2) fast draw in panic situations. Note here that police are thrust into panic situations far more that any civilian ever will be and rely heavily on speedy aquisition. 3) have you seen all the crap they have to carry on their person/belt? 4) quic re-holstering so they can safely manipulate the other tools on their tool belt

Compairing LEO reasoning for open carry against civilian decision to open carry is not a valid comparison. I don't believe "because cops do!" is a valid reasoning for open carry unles your intent is to identify yourself as a cop wanna be, and that reasoning alone is a good enough reason for you to NOT carry at all.

The decision to either OC or CC is a personal one, just like my decision of what type of car I buy. All the expanation in the world why YOU (OCer) bought what you bought is not going to convince me (CCer) that I bought the wrong car. Simply stated "it fits my needs". And we need to recognize this argument goes both ways. I don't care if you legally OC. I may not agree with the decision but it is not my decision to make for you (only your state legislature can make decisions for you without your consent)

I conceal carry for one reason alone. For concealment. I don't want anyone to know I have a gun. It's none of their business. Personnaly I think Open carry will draw more attention to myself and that's not why I carry. I want to be mistaken for a wall flower and ignored by everyone. I don't carry to stand out in a crowd. The element of suprise is a most powerful weapon.
    I agree police shouldn't be used for either case on either method of carry.

in the end it is a personal choice, and both sides have said that repeatedly. We question the reasoning, not the choice. The fact that the end conclusion is you decided to arm yourself means you are correct.

I open carry for many reasons, reasons I came to after studying both methods and self defense strategy. The main reason I carry at all is to not be a victim. The element of deterrence is a more powerful weapon to me, that will fulfill my reason more times than I will know. It will also minimize the amount of loss sustained should I be targeted by keeping my defense unobstructed and faster to draw to become offensive.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast