OCing and CCW Badges - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OCing and CCW Badges

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    ??? Not sure how anyone could interpret my post as disrespect towards LEOs. They weren't even mentioned.

The purpose of my post is to compare the intent of OCers with the intent of those who wear CC badges (hereafter referred to as "badgers"). On the surface at least the intents of both groups seem to be the same - to make sure that those around them know that they're armed for various reasons. Remember - not everyone who wants to OC can legally do so, so the badge is a substitute for an open-carried pistol (i.e. a way to let people know you're armed).

I'm simply pointing out that OCers and Badgers appear to be brothers-in-arms, so to speak.

Let me ask this - would you dedicated OCers out there wear a badge if you found yourself in a place where OC isn't allowed?? If not, why "no"?
    I didn't think you would really ever be direspectful to anyone B2T.

I really can't see any correlation between badgers and OCers. For the most part, I think for the most part OCers try to be a shadow man to the general public; just like CCers. However, an OCer wants a BG to definitely recognize him as a threat should a BG look upon him as a potential victim.

Wearing a badge could also get a person in trouble if they aren't careful. So, I see any "civilian" wearing a badge a bad idea.

You mean "carry badges" actually exist? I thought everyone in the forums simply referred to them sort of "tongue in cheek".

I guess I merely couldn't see the use for them at all..... so I assumed they were a comic relief reference or a sarcastic put down of sorts.

I'll be dipped! (Unless someone is pulling my leg on the matter.)

Anyway and either way.... I'll go with the oft seen comment... "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" (LOL!)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Uh, if I understand correctly the suggestion is to carry the badge without carrying a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    ??? Not sure how anyone could interpret my post as disrespect towards LEOs. They weren't even mentioned.
    Don't feel bad about it, on a previous post I mentioned that caneguns fall under the description of "Any Other Weapon" under the National Firearms Act, and kelcarry turned around and said that I was "Obviously very hostile towards SC LEOs". I am not sure how the two are related.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Wearing a badge could also get a person in trouble if they aren't careful. So, I see any "civilian" wearing a badge a bad idea.
    Most LEOs are civilians, unless they are MPs, in which case they are subject to the UCMJ.

Wait, that's not a joke? Oh, man...

B2Tall, I take exception to your original premise only because I do believe that a police badge, because it is worn on the chest, is meant to identify a governmental authority figure. However, the only reason I ever wanted a badge was not to let anyone know I was armed - I am a staunch advocate of CC and keep the surprise element - but I always thought it would be immensely helpful if, as I call 911, I pull my badge out on my chain around my neck or uncover it on my belt and when police arrive they look at the two of us (perp and victim) and I say, "Legally licensed citizen!" as I hold the BG at gun point and the cop fires back "Let me see your badge!" at which point I hold up my chained badge around my neck or pull back my jacket to expose my (now) uncovered belt holder with badge. The police order, "Secure your weapon" and immediately sweep in, cuff BG first, then relieve me of my weapon, but the officers know I have been trained, had my background checked and do not have any intention of ending their life and therefore they are safe in trusting me.

Also, almost every state has a badge design or color that they have not employed for their law enforcement purposes. Everyone knows that the "Star in Circle" is U.S. Marshall, so why not assign a badge style that is NOT currently in use by LEOs of the state? Maybe a five-pointed star (no circle) or seven-pointed star that points downward that does not look anything like the shield that actual LEOs use? It's not a badge of authority but just an identifier. A symbol given to people that have paid in money, training and background checks to prove that they are trustworthy and of good character in a tense and dangerous situation when the police aren't sure which person with the weapon should be trusted.

Just my two cents worth, but I can see where it would be a valuable aide to LEOs instead of the problem everyone else sees. I think the people seeing the "badgers" as pretend LEOs going out and using them are the same as the people that saw CCW "Shall-Issue" as the return of gunfights in the middle of the streets - it's unsupported sensationalism.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

9. Cc badges are just silly and i personally would never give thought to owning one, but the only logical reason I can come up with for wearing one would be to wear it while you are open carrying so as not to get some negative attention from cotton tops or ignorant people who forgot about the right to carry. That goes back to the potential to be considered impersonating a cop. However if you don't say you are and the badge doesn't either I guess you'd be good. Irregardless, they're stupid, don't buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    Irregardless, they're stupid, don't buy one.
    (Opens envelope)

And the award for unsuccessfully using "irregardless" which isn't a real word goes to Terminal Lance. Please come up on stage, give a brief acceptance speech, and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg:227031
    B2Tall, I take exception to your original premise only because I do believe that a police badge, because it is worn on the chest, is meant to identify a governmental authority figure. However, the only reason I ever wanted a badge was not to let anyone know I was armed - I am a staunch advocate of CC and keep the surprise element - but I always thought it would be immensely helpful if, as I call 911, I pull my badge out on my chain around my neck or uncover it on my belt and when police arrive they look at the two of us (perp and victim) and I say, "Legally licensed citizen!" as I hold the BG at gun point and the cop fires back "Let me see your badge!" at which point I hold up my chained badge around my neck or pull back my jacket to expose my (now) uncovered belt holder with badge. The police order, "Secure your weapon" and immediately sweep in, cuff BG first, then relieve me of my weapon, but the officers know I have been trained, had my background checked and do not have any intention of ending their life and therefore they are safe in trusting me.

Also, almost every state has a badge design or color that they have not employed for their law enforcement purposes. Everyone knows that the "Star in Circle" is U.S. Marshall, so why not assign a badge style that is NOT currently in use by LEOs of the state? Maybe a five-pointed star (no circle) or seven-pointed star that points downward that does not look anything like the shield that actual LEOs use? It's not a badge of authority but just an identifier. A symbol given to people that have paid in money, training and background checks to prove that they are trustworthy and of good character in a tense and dangerous situation when the police aren't sure which person with the weapon should be trusted.

Just my two cents worth, but I can see where it would be a valuable aide to LEOs instead of the problem everyone else sees. I think the people seeing the "badgers" as pretend LEOs going out and using them are the same as the people that saw CCW "Shall-Issue" as the return of gunfights in the middle of the streets - it's unsupported sensationalism.
    how about the star of David?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast