OCing and CCW Badges
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCing and CCW Badges

OCing and CCW Badges

I originally posted this on another thread but in retrospect I feel it merits its own thread:

Why wouldn't a dedicated OCer wear a CCW badge in areas where he/she can't OC?? Doesn't the badge basically do the same thing as the pistol - let other knows that the carrier is armed?? I've seen a lot of OCers (and CCers to be sure) on this site ridicule CCW badge-wearers as wannabe cops and pretenders, but isn't their goal the same as the OCers - to make others around them aware that they're armed??

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It seems quite hypocritical to me for an OCer to criticize somebody for wearing a CCW badge when their goals are clearly the same.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

3. While I am not from an OC state, my observations have been that some of these CCW Badges that I have seen, resemble too closely law enforcement badges. To the untrained eye/casual observer, the individual can easily be mistaken for a LEO. Which can cause a multitude of problems for the wearer.
    In Texas, Concealed Carry, is interpreted just as that, "Concealed Carry". Any outward appearance or indication that you are carrying, either by printing, the slip of the cover, or an openly displayed badge, can and will get you arrested.
    I thoroughly believe in the element of surprise. Keep the bad guy guessing as to who may or may not be packing, and it in itself minimizes the risk!

I personally think the badge is a joke !
    i CC so the bad guys " don't " know I am carring is that not the point of CC ?
    Like I said my oppinion
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

Why advertise your "concealed" handgun with a badge?

6. I was just discussing this with an officer the other day. My concern (which also raise without my mentioning it) is that someone can claim that you were impersonating an officer - more importantly the bad guy can claim that you identified yourself as such in court and without witnesses you're SOL.

Go get a tee shirt made that says -- I have a gun on me.
    Crime has no boundaries - Carry Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Why advertise your "concealed" handgun with a badge?
    I agree, but some people want to OC but can't because of local or state laws. In that case isn't the badge a substutute for OCing? Kind of a way to circumvent the law by letting those around you know you're armed without actually displaying a firearm?? Isn't that the goal of the OCer as well......to let everyone know that they're armed and to (hopefully) deter crime as a result??

I thought it a bit funny that there are OCers on this site that dismiss badge-wearers as wannabes and showoffs yet their (the OCers) reason for openly carrying a pistol on their hip is the same reason that "badgers" display a badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmoore1 View Post
    I was just discussing this with an officer the other day. My concern (which also raise without my mentioning it) is that someone can claim that you were impersonating an officer - more importantly the bad guy can claim that you identified yourself as such in court and without witnesses you're SOL.
    I agree. The real problem with a CC badge is the posibility of someone impersonating a LEO in order to carry out criminal activity.

But, I disgree completely with the OP if his intent was to dis-respect the badge of an LEO by implying that a badge of an LEO and ccer are meant to allow someone to recognize that you are armed.

To me, an LEO badge is a badge of repect, honor & authority.

The original intent of a CC badge was to signify to an LEO who may come in contact a CCer, who the GG is. But, the concept just has way to many problems to be practical.

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    But, I disgree completely with the OP if his intent was to dis-respect the badge of an LEO by implying that a badge of an LEO and ccer are meant to allow someone to recognize that you are armed.
    ??? Not sure how anyone could interpret my post as disrespect towards LEOs. They weren't even mentioned.

The purpose of my post is to compare the intent of OCers with the intent of those who wear CC badges (hereafter referred to as "badgers"). On the surface at least the intents of both groups seem to be the same - to make sure that those around them know that they're armed for various reasons. Remember - not everyone who wants to OC can legally do so, so the badge is a substitute for an open-carried pistol (i.e. a way to let people know you're armed).

I'm simply pointing out that OCers and Badgers appear to be brothers-in-arms, so to speak.

Let me ask this - would you dedicated OCers out there wear a badge if you found yourself in a place where OC isn't allowed?? If not, why "no"?

I replied to your original post on the other thread. I thought CCW badges were a joke until 50 actually posted a link to the website selling it. For an LEO, the badge does not represent a firearm, but authority. Because I'm not pushing my authority on others, when I open carry I do not need a badge, and when I CC I do not need a badge.

If I can't legally OC, I wont. If I can, I will. Do mall ninja's and CC go hand in hand? with all their sneaky surprises? Next question?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast