Open carry experience... - Page 12
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 185

Thread: Open carry experience...

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013513644_slaying25m.html

    If only this guy didn't open...oh wait, he looked exactly like all the concealed carriers and was attacked by a mentally ill person. Had nothing to do with the mental illness at all,. I can go on all day posting stories about people who may or may not be concealing, since that's the point of concealed means concealed. You look like every other unarmed person being attacked.

  2.   
  3. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR:236224
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    But that's just me using clear-cut logic.
    Let's say there are 10,000 open carriers out there nationwide. Probably a conservative number. We have 2 cases of open carriers being attacked or robbed. 2 out of 10,000. That's .02%. Which leaves 99.98% unmolested by criminals. And that is not even taking into account the amount of time that goes by between attacks.

    If the number jumps to 100,000 open carriers out there nationwide, then probably 20 will be attacked or robbed. That's .02%. Which leaves 99.98% unmolested by criminals.

    Even if there are only 1,000 open carriers out there. Now the percentages jump to .2% attacked or robbed and 99.8% left alone.

    When the majority of criminals say that they will be deterred by the fact that they know a potential victim has a gun, and given the fact that during most defensive uses of a firearm no shots are fired, the mere sight of the gun scares them away... then the odds seem to be stacked incredibly in favor of the open carrier.

    Just using some logic there....

    Now if we could just get the percentage of open carriers who are unlawfully detained and harassed by cops down to the same percentage as are attacked by criminals, we would be doing good.
    Anti OC love the link you posted. Lets use those numbers. Hundreds of thousands open carry, we have two examples of alleged attacks caused by the sight of a gun. That equates to .00002%. Horrible odds right there.

  4. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Anti OC love the link you posted. Lets use those numbers. Hundreds of thousands open carry, we have two examples of alleged attacks caused by the sight of a gun. That equates to .00002%. Horrible odds right there.
    Break out the online pokerchips and slot machine tokens.

  5. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    817
    My turn. Civilized debate is one thing and I mean no disrespect to anyone but this thread has degenerated and is doing nothing but causing tempers to flare and blood pressure to rise. FYI most of the time I CC but on occasion do OC. I am grateful that in this country we have the right(with some unfortunate exceptions)to carry as we see fit. It boils down to the reason why we carry, NOT HOW. Attitude and training is everything. The question I have is wouldnt our time and energy be better spent trying to change gun-unfriendly laws rather than argue amongst ourselves? Just my 25 cents(2 cents inflation)worth.

  6. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    In posted article, the fact that he was OCing apparently bumped his chances of getting attacked up to 100%. The entire incident was created by the gun on the OCers hip. It wasn't random. He was targeted because he was OCing.

    The odds of any individual getting attacked on any given day is very, very slim regardless of whether they're OCing, CCing, or not carrying at all. Chances are that none of us will ever be in a situation like that. However, this man saw those odds skyrocket because he was OCing. The other article discussed on these boards - the guy OCing in Milwaukee - well, he lost the option to effectively defend himself because the unimpressed perp knew he was armed and took appropriate action. Money - gone. Gun - gone. His decision to OC left him hanging out to dry.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  7. #116
    I was with you until you said you were open carrying and drank two beers. Every self respecting gun toter knows this is taboo. Thanks for F&cking it up for all of us!

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcc:236356
    I was with you until you said you were open carrying and drank two beers. Every self respecting gun toter knows this is taboo. Thanks for F&cking it up for all of us!
    I don't believe he is screwing it up for me. Speak for yourself please.

  9. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall:236262
    In posted article, the fact that he was OCing apparently bumped his chances of getting attacked up to 100%. The entire incident was created by the gun on the OCers hip. It wasn't random. He was targeted because he was OCing.

    The odds of any individual getting attacked on any given day is very, very slim regardless of whether they're OCing, CCing, or not carrying at all. Chances are that none of us will ever be in a situation like that. However, this man saw those odds skyrocket because he was OCing. The other article discussed on these boards - the guy OCing in Milwaukee - well, he lost the option to effectively defend himself because the unimpressed perp knew he was armed and took appropriate action. Money - gone. Gun - gone. His decision to OC left him hanging out to dry.
    Completely ignoring the mental disorder. Ok. His gun wasn't the reason he was targeted, the video evidence that he was going to rob the place was. DEA agents know their stuff.

    All of the incidents that a concealed carrier was attacked, the fact they concealed their handgun to look unarmed bumped their chances of been attacked up to 100%. Bad guys don't randomly choose their victims. The fact concealing your handgun makes you look like another victim is the reason they are targeted.

    The milwaukee guy, was attacked at knife point before. If the chances of being attacked are low, how does this guy get chosen twice? If he had chosen to conceal, he would of still been mugged. Money and gun would be gone then too. Of choose that's an assumption, just like the reason he was targeted in the first place.

  10. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    The DEA agent had video evidence he was going to rob the place...

    It had nothing to do with a mentality disturbed person at all.

    I'm glad I don't live there, I can't think of any restaurant or diner that doesn't sell alcohol.
    Family: No fight over cop's gun | albuquerque, nm | krqe news 13 new mexico

    Making things up to prove your point helps no one. I don't see any indication you meant to be sarcastic......

    From the article.
    APD had arrested Chris Torres in February for impersonating a federal agent. Police said he stood up in a restaurant and declared he was with the Drug Enforcement Agency, and that another customer was trying to rob the place.

  11. #120
    Man... I go to the woods to cut firewood overnight and things get out of control. Lets get things straightened out.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep. The guy was illegally carrying a gun.

    Here's another one:
    Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint - TODAY'S TMJ4

    Of course there is nothing to distinguish it from any other armed robbery and was just as likely to have happened to a person not carrying a gun (concealed carry was completely illegal in Wisconsin, then).
    This does not matter, nor does any example of statistics you may make up. You say people want real world examples to prove his theories. You now have them... are they still theories?

    I already looked into chens post... he lied... ooh well

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    OMG!!! WHO CARES!!!

    It's male bovine excrement like this thread has degenerated to that is the main reason I don't come to this board much anymore. I used to "check in" two or three times daily. Now, its once or twice a week, and I'm getting to the point where I am losing interest in coming THAT often.
    Has anyone found this guy a therapist yet? Maybe he should take his toys and go home.... gonna miss him.

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Let's say there are 10,000 open carriers out there nationwide. Probably a conservative number. We have 2 cases of open carriers being attacked or robbed. 2 out of 10,000. That's .02%. Which leaves 99.98% unmolested by criminals. And that is not even taking into account the amount of time that goes by between attacks.
    You have peaked my interest... I am going to open a thread to see if anyone here from Utah is an OCer. Explain one thing... What is it about OCing that deters crime? It can't just be the fact that they know you have a gun. If it was so there wouldn't be nearly as many police officer widows. But i'm fairly new so i'm not sure of the arguement.

    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    In posted article, the fact that he was OCing apparently bumped his chances of getting attacked up to 100%. The entire incident was created by the gun on the OCers hip. It wasn't random. He was targeted because he was OCing.
    Did you know that there is not ONE documented instance of anyone CCing in Hiroshima or Nagasaki when the bombs fell. YUP you got it... CCing 100000% times effective at detering nuclear attack.
    Now here is where I point out I think statistics should mean something and not be made up.

    and finally
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcc View Post
    I was with you until you said you were open carrying and drank two beers. Every self respecting gun toter knows this is taboo. Thanks for F&cking it up for all of us!
    +1
    But.. from personal experience.. duck and cover man... a potential crap storm commeth.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast