Open carry experience... - Page 16
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry experience...

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Maybe that's why they have problems in NY, since the gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens. Here is a quote from another site about OC. The poster has about 700 posts, so I don't think he is a troll.
    Spoke with a Convicted Fellon Saturday about OC

"I ran into a kid at the carwash this past Saturday, I remember him and his brother from church when they were ankle-biters. Sadly both this guy and his brother ended up doing time in the state pokey (His brother is actually back in) while he has turned his life around. He recognized me and came up to start chatting- saw my sidearm and asked what I was carrying these days. Spent a few minutes talking about my firearm and he says, "you know, guys like my brother fear people like you."

I said, "armed people?"

He said, "no, armed people who don't bother covering it up."

I asked, "Why not just regular armed people?"

He said, "can't tell who is strapped and who isn't. Someone carrying concealed looks just like everyone else. See, when guys like him case a joint, they make sure that everything is in place. As soon as they see someone with a piece hangin' off their belt it messes with their rhythm. That throws them off and makes them shaky."

Then he said something that has stuck with me since, "my brother said it took him almost a week to get the picture of a guy with a gun out of his mind before he got the nerve up to go rob another store. It really freaked him out because it reminded him that there were people out there with guns that could shoot back."

I said (in my most sarcastic voice), "you can't tell me a hardened criminal is actually scared of a private citizen with a handgun."

His answer? "Thugs ain't no heroes... too lazy and it takes a lot of energy to get nerve up to go somewhere and do it. If you mess with that flow they gotta wait until they get jacked up enough to do it again. Could take a few minutes or a few days, but they won't go back to where they know somebody's packin'"

Thought provoking conversation. I just hope this kid has learned his lesson and stays out of trouble."
    That "conversation" sounds just a little too convenient and self-serving. Anyone can make up anything they want to on the internet. If I posted a story about how I talked to gang-bangers and they told me that they'd be more inclined to rob someone if they knew they'd get a gun as well, would any OCers believe me?? No, they wouldn't and I wouldn't blame them. I could relate an account that illustrates my CC vs OC point perfectly but since there's nothing to back it up (like a news report or something), I've never bothered. I wouldn't expect anyone on the "other" side to believe me. Hell, some actually tried to dismiss the Milwaukee news report as something that was fabricated by the news station!

Next time try something with a little more substance and foundation than just being found on another forum.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Washington State then has one up on Arizona. Here, one cannot open carry in any establishment that serves alcohol, restaurants included. You can conceal carry in such places (unless the proprietor has posted a specific sign prohibiting firearms), but only if you have your permit on your person. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill:236832
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen:236721
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1:236707
    My homeotwn has been named the homicide capital of New York. I would invite the OC pundits to walk two blocks down Lander Street with an exposed gun. Put your theories to the test.

Can FBI Agent James Gagliano Make Newburgh Safe? -- New York Magazine
    The best gun fight is the one you aren't in by not being in terrible places to begin with. Sorry, but I will never go to NYC by choice, just like I will never go to Chicago, Ohio, Mexico, etc. Sorry your hometown is horrible, hope your family got out of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill:236687
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen:236644
    Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill:236605
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Sigh what a lack of common sense, or should I say common sense "EPIC FAIL"....since you still can't tell, I will accommodate you and put *sarcasm* in so you don't get confused.

The DEA agent had video evidence he was going to rob the place... *SARCASM*

It had nothing to do with menonlly disturbed person at all... *SARCASM*

I can't believe you didn't get that...did you really think someone could read your article and seriously think Torres was a DEA agent?

I don't remember ever calling you names...so I am practicing what I'm preaching.

To be fair, I didn't even read your second article, since I figured you snipped out the important part, and my original post you quoted was from your first article anyways. I find the 2nd article interesting that it didn't include his victim was an open carrier...so was it the gun or the robbery that set off his violence?

Edit: And no I do not need a pop up book...does your mother need to put soap in your mouth?
    Sorry I must have forgotten to download my ninja hidden meaning fonts and my psychic powers are on the fritz.
    Or your writing skills match your reading comprehension.
    And that's the ball game ladies and gents. Apparently he has nothing else to say except ninja jokes...it seems only gmr and b2 had trouble understanding my post, so I'm not too worried about my reading or writing. Good night folks, drive home safely.
    So you are gonna take your toys and go home when you get called in the carpet because you're posts are crap. Too bad. see ya.
    To answer your general question, no I will not be going home just because the other team decided to resort to insults and jokes. Didn't work for b2, won't work for you. :-) Call my posts anything you want, it's not my issue you couldn't realize sarcasm without it being bold and underlined.
    um couldn't you see the sarcasm in my post? *SARCASM* there that better? LOL
    sorry still dont see it...you forgot the bold and underlined ;)

I'm finally having to place someone on my ignore list. I just do not understand how some people can be such dumb^$$e$ and think they are actually intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom:236922
    I'm finally having to place someone on my ignore list. I just do not understand how some people can be such dumb^$$e$ and think they are actually intelligent.
    Pot calling the kettle black.

Wouldn't the question be, how many of these extremely violent places do we visit? Not that violent places exist? If you know the area you are going to is violent, why did you choose to go there?
    Funny enough, my office is in that ghetto. Having been raised there in better times I've become sort of desensitized to it. The hoodrats know us and respect us. But this is a very bad place nonetheless. Would it be wise for a law-abiding citizen who lives in the hood to OC? How long could he walk around this city openly heeled before there is trouble? These people will skin you for $5. They'll shoot merely for the entertainment value. Now I have no issue with OC. Hats off to those who want to do it where legal. But at what point is it unwise?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1:236946
    Wouldn't the question be, how many of these extremely violent places do we visit? Not that violent places exist? If you know the area you are going to is violent, why did you choose to go there?
    Funny enough, my office is in that ghetto and I've become sort of desensitized to it. The hoodrats know us and respect us. They know what we do. But this is a very bad place nonetheless. Would it be wise for a law-abiding citizen who lives in the hood to OC? How long could he walk around heeled before there is trouble? These people will skin you for $5. They'll shoot merely for the entertainment value. Now I have no issue with OC. Hats off to those who want to do it where legal. But at what point is it unwise?
    There is definitelly a point where it is unwise. The only problem with your scenario is it doesn't matter if you open carry or conceal carry, your potential bad guys will target anyone. They are the kind of bad guys everyone in society should be aware of. If you have no reason to be around them, and you decide to make that walk open or concealed, your intent will be extremely questionable. Right now, your choice to work in the ghetto, and conceal carry still puts you at a higher risk than me who chooses to open carry and never visit areas I know to be dangerous. Maybe you feel you have no choice but to work where you work, but you always have a choice. Life is hard, we have to make hard decisions.

This kind of standpoint reminds me of the caliber debate. Majority of the anti anything equal or less than 9mm advocates completely ignore shot placement, and size is the deciding factor for them. When its placement that matters the most, and caliber doesn't matter as long as you can control your handgun. Here, carrying method doesn't matter as long as you feel comfortable and can handle your choice, what's more important is your placement.

There is always a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Maybe that's why they have problems in NY, since the gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens.
    The same is true for every state. Don't for one second think there is a such thing as a "shall-issue" state. People in many of these states can't carry in a bar, restaurant, on public transportation, in a church or hospital, etc. Many require permits be renewed, which is an opportunity to control people. Every state has provisions that allow a permit or the purchase of a gun to be denied. Same holds true for the feds through the NICS check.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

There is definitelly a point where it is unwise. The only problem with your scenario is it doesn't matter if you open carry or conceal carry, your potential bad guys will target anyone. They are the kind of bad guys everyone in society should be aware of. If you have no reason to be around them, and you decide to make that walk open or concealed, your intent will be extremely questionable. Right now, your choice to work in the ghetto, and conceal carry still puts you at a higher risk than me who chooses to open carry and never visit areas I know to be dangerous. Maybe you feel you have no choice but to work where you work, but you always have a choice. Life is hard, we have to make hard decisions.

This kind of standpoint reminds me of the caliber debate. Majority of the anti anything equal or less than 9mm advocates completely ignore shot placement, and size is the deciding factor for them. When its placement that matters the most, and caliber doesn't matter as long as you can control your handgun. Here, carrying method doesn't matter as long as you feel comfortable and can handle your choice, what's more important is your placement.

I do somewhat agree with you.

I have no issue with anyone who wants to OC. But the opinions of some posters who are not familiar with the habits of the local nocturnal wildlife are questionable at best. These ghetto rats repeatedly try to take guns right off a LEO hip. K9's, cops, firemen and EMT's are all regularly beat down. I can guarantee you that no one could OC in that city two blocks without a beatdown. Showing that nice shiny new dime on your belt will absolutely cause a problem.

This reply is really directed at some posters here who are of the mindset that they can OC anywhere and that no one will ever (or has ever) been robbed of their gun. Yet it happens regularly in this city to cops. But, I guess if it's not in the newspaper it never happens (this city no longer has a newspaper). Those who believe this haven't spent much time in the hood. Some of these people will kill you for no other reason than a thought passing through their mind, pure entertainment value. Anything goes in the hood. Nothing is sacred. No one is afraid of you or your exposed gun. They're laughing at it. They're wild animals who have been raised in this environment and view violence as the norm. They live with death and destruction every day and don't give a damn about loss of life. Most are already carrying a gun anyway and you're fair game (your watch, your wallet, your hat, your ring, your car, YOUR LIFE... so why not your gun).

But... people can always test their theories in real-time. That'll end the discussion for sure.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1:236960

I do somewhat agree with you.

I have no issue with anyone who wants to OC. But the opinions of some posters who are not familiar with the habits of the local nocturnal wildlife are questionable at best. These ghetto rats repeatedly try to take guns right off a LEO hip. K9's, cops, firemen and EMT's are all regularly beat down. I can guarantee you that no one could OC in that city two blocks without a beatdown. Showing that nice shiny new dime on your belt will absolutely cause a problem.

This reply is really directed at some posters here who are of the mindset that they can OC anywhere and that no one will ever (or has ever) been robbed of their gun. Yet it happens regularly in this city to cops. But, I guess if it's not in the newspaper it never happens (this city no longer has a newspaper). Those who believe this haven't spent much time in the hood. Some of these people will kill you for no other reason than a thought passing through their mind, pure entertainment value. Anything goes in the hood. Nothing is sacred. No one is afraid of you or your exposed gun. They're laughing at it. They're wild animals who have been raised in this environment and view violence as the norm. They live with death and destruction every day and don't give a damn about loss of life. Most are already carrying a gun anyway and you're fair game (your watch, your wallet, your hat, your ring, your car, YOUR LIFE... so why not your gun).

But... people can always test their theories in real-time. That'll end the discussion for sure.
    The description of the kind of bad guy you are using as an example does not work. It does not work because open or concealed, he will choose you, because he is violent to anyone and everyone. Would you ask a concealed carrier to walk down that same street, at night, alone?

In area's you are speaking of, do police patrol alone? In cars? Do they get their guns grabbed randomly or after an arrest has begun?

The problem I have with this argument is the hood that you are describing account for 1% of society, what do you think? Bad parts of Chicago, New York, Los Angeles (California in general), Florida (since that's where b2's gang hangs out). There is no hood like that in the last 5 towns i've lived in (Eugene, springfield, lake oswego, clackamas OR, Tri Cities, WA) bad parts yes, but not like you described. Sure, you spend most of you're time in that 1%, but the rest of us will never go into that area. I agree OC doesn't work 100% of the places in the US, but it's going to work at least 95% of the places.

As far as testing our theories, I do it every day I carry, and i've been right so far. Let's see how many concealed carriers want to walk through a true hood to put their surprise theory to the test.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast