Open carry experience... - Page 5
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 185

Thread: Open carry experience...

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40:235487
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I think that's the point.

    It shouldn't matter how a person chooses to carry. But, there seems to be some CC'ers who insist on starting multiple discussions on why OC is a bad idea. That in itself would not be a bad thing if these people had any real "FACTs" to substantiate their reasoning behind their beliefs.

    -
    Well fight back and start your own thread as to why Concealed carry is a bad idea,LOL/J/K.
    I got confused and started another open carry is horrible thread.....but that was just concealing my surprise to sucker people into entering the thread.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    Regarding alcohol use, I believe its more important to set yourself up for a successful defense in court should you ever have to shoot, than to base your actions on the legality of drinking while armed. Bottom line, if you have even a BAC that is within the legal limit for driving, and have to use your firearm, it will become the staging ground for a prosecutor to argue that your ability to make reasonable decisions was impaired. I'm not willing to add that to the list of problems awaiting me after the shot. For this reason, I agree with S&W (much as it pains me), and never drink while carrying. It's a tough choice, but life's full of them.
    Here's how I feel about it. My gun is just a normal part of my attire as my belt or my cell phone is. It goes with me where I go. Because it is NORMAL for it to do so. It is also normal for me to have a couple of beers when out enjoying entertainment. Unless there is a statutory requirement to do so, I am not going to change my normal routine to account for my gun, because it is a part of everything normal about me in my every day life outside of military uniform.

    Another example, when I pick my stepdauther up from school, if she is talking with a group of friends, it is normal for me to exit the vehicle and go over and talk to them. It is also normal, and not prohibited by law, for me to have my openly carried firearm on my belt while doing so. And, also, has never been a problem.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #43
    That's good for you, bro. I have to do what I feel is most responsible for my family. My conscience demands that I share my reasons with others.

    My choice is made. I hope yours never causes you any grief.

  5. #44
    I don't OC, I don't think I can even remember seeing someone OC other than while hunting. The only times I can remember hearing of someone OCing prior to reading this site was when it hit the news that the police had been called because someone was carrying a long gun, once a shotgun and the other an AK, and someone got worried and called the cops. So how heated the conversations get here send odd to me, but I don't care one way our the other.

    I do however competly disagree with drinking while carrying a firearm. Your brain is your first line of defense, and a little impared is still impared. If I had been there while you were drinking while OCing, I would have been grateful that I knew you had a firearm so I knew it was the right time to leave. I guess that is one benefit of OC over CC. And I know this will bring up comments of "I can handle my beer, you must be a lightweight, uugh I'm a man!!" Drinking while carrying makes me question the persons judgment.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    That's good for you, bro. I have to do what I feel is most responsible for my family. My conscience demands that I share my reasons with others.

    My choice is made. I hope yours never causes you any grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill View Post
    I do however competly disagree with drinking while carrying a firearm. Your brain is your first line of defense, and a little impared is still impared. If I had been there while you were drinking while OCing, I would have been grateful that I knew you had a firearm so I knew it was the right time to leave. I guess that is one benefit of OC over CC. And I know this will bring up comments of "I can handle my beer, you must be a lightweight, uugh I'm a man!!" Drinking while carrying makes me question the persons judgment.
    So, then, it appears as if the rule for you guys is that IF you are truly concerned about your own safety, and the safety of family with you, you will never consume alcohol, correct? Assuming you keep a gun in your home for protection against intruders as well as carry a gun in public.

    Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill View Post
    If I had been there while you were drinking while OCing, I would have been grateful that I knew you had a firearm so I knew it was the right time to leave.
    Would you like a tissue to take with you? Out of sight, out of mind, right... how many people do you suppose might be concealed carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol, or anywhere else where firearms and alcohol are both legal? Maybe you should avoid all places that serve alcohol because there just might be someone concealed carrying and having a beer. Or maybe we should pass a law to make it illegal to consume any alcohol while armed so you can feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. #46
    I like warm and fuzzy over dead and bloody. And yes I never drink. I know too many people that have suffered because of other people drinking.

    In my opinion you loose credibility every time you post one of your OCing and drinking posts.

    And to clarify, both OCing and CCing while drinking is wrong in my opinion.

  8. #47
    Despite the biting sarcasm, which really adds nothing to the substance of your argument, you make a good point, NAVYlcdr. Sobriety is just as important at home as outside the home. However, something you may not have considered is that I am not the only armed person in my home. And when in my home, I am much more in control of my environment than when in public. Furthermore, a jury is much more likely to be sympathetic to a person who is enjoying a beer or glass of wine in their own home when forced to defend themselves, than the person who purposefully carried into a bar, had a few, and then had to do so. These considerations play into my decision. One which we all have to make for ourselves.

    I resent the suggestion that I would support laws against any amount of drinking while armed. I never said such a thing, and I would not. Choice is what made this country free in the first place. I do believe that being intoxicated (i.e. above the legal BAC) while armed is just as irresponsible and dangerous as driving or boating while under the influence, and are very appropriately illegal.

    As I said before, you make your choice, I've already made mine. Until your choice starts to affect the safety of others, we won't have an issue.

  9. #48
    A kid I know in our city decided it was a great idea to go shooting and drinking. Long story short he ended up shooting himself in the hand with the 45 caliber handgun he was shooting.

    I refuse to go shooting with anyone who thinks drinking and shooting should go hand and hand!

    I do support your right to drink and use/carry firearms if you choose to. But I will leave the room/area if you choose to do so around me and my family.

    I feel uneasy about driving after just one drink, even if I'm well then under the legal limit.

    My feeling is there should be no "Legal Limit" I don't feel people should be drinking and then driving to begin with. But again those are my views and I respect your right to do as you please. I'm not out to choke down my feelings/view points on anyone.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    I open carried today, only comment I got was "nice piece"........ I am just hoping he was talking about my firearm.......

    The ONLY problems I have EVER had concerning my open carrying have been from ignorant cops....

    My opinion on drinking while armed is that those who carry a firearm for self defense are not the type to get into trouble in the first place, or we more than likely would already be a felon, and unable to legally carry anyway..........So whats the darn problem here other than these self-righteous individuals who cannot trust themselves to be armed while drinking projecting THEIR OWN FEARS of what they would do if armed while drinking onto others...... If you have no problem doing it yourself, then do it, if not, why are you giving those who CAN trust themselves to behave all this grief???

  11. #50
    The problem seems to be the self righteous people that care about their beer more than other people safety. I'm sure every drunk driver went out with the intention of getting drunk. I wonder how many also said "I can handle it".

    You chose to drink and carry, I chose to to stay away from people that make that decision. Best case scenario your decisions only screw up your own life.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast