Open carry experience... - Page 7
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    My God, you have a lot to learn.
    I've learned quite enough throughout my life. From personal experience, family's experience, and an Uncle who is in LAPD. LEO's have a long road ahead of them in EARNING their trust and respect again.

seriously !?!

I have to take strong objection to carrying a firearm and drinking whether it be in public or private. Carrying a handgun is a serious decision drinking at the same time shows lack of respect for our right to carry. This is no longer the "wild west" and we don't carry iron on our hip into the saloon.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
    I have to take strong objection to carrying a firearm and drinking whether it be in public or private. Carrying a handgun is a serious decision drinking at the same time shows lack of respect for our right to carry. This is no longer the "wild west" and we don't carry iron on our hip into the saloon.
    You are quite right. This is no longer the "wild west". The "wild west" was a much safer time because everybody DID carry iron on their hip into the saloons.

Can I ask where exactly are the examples of blood running in the streets caused by people responsibly drinking alcohol while lawfully carrying a gun?

it is obvious that the U.S. Homicide Rates were quite low but with a slow rising trend until New England area gun laws triggered a sharp rise in homicide rates? Why?

In two words, labor problems. Widespread strikes, employer lockouts, the murders of non-union workers, and other forms of labor violence increased during that period, and caused a slow rise in the number of violent deaths.

It is well worth noting that in an age when anyone with two dollars could buy a “U.S. Revolver” .38 in any hardware store in the US the homicide rate was almost negligible. As soon as local ordinances kept people from carrying, the violent crime rates went through the roof.

Obviously, there is nothing as effective as the possibility of prompt and effective self defense to keep things to a words only level.
    “Why Did The Homicide Rate Rise In the 1890′s” | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Aha!!!!! The very FIRST post after mine has already proven I was right... thank you for showing YOUR fearfulness of someone elses decision, THAT is what is called projection kiddo............ and you just stepped in it up to your neck.........

I actually CAN be trusted to drink and have a firearm on me, your not believing that, or cowering in fear because of it does not make it untrue.......
    You say I am afraid, I say you aren't as smart as you think you are. So again, try to only screw up your own life.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Actually, there's much, much less chance of the gun coming out of the holster than someone driving drunk because it doesn't cause inconvenience to going home after drinking if the gun remains in the holster.
    Trying to use drunk driving as a defense to carry while drinking. Wow. Yes I am also concerned with people that believe they can drink and drive. One doesn't justify the other.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The vast majority of people who can carry a gun all day long and not play with it are not going to suddenly acquire an overwhelming urge to play with it after a couple beers.
    I bet the percentage of people that aren't under the influence that don't aquire the urge to play with their gun is even greater. But I don't have a source to prove what I said, how are you justifying yours.

Is your gun ornamental or would you use it if you had to? I guarantee that finding a shooting justified after 2 beers is going to be more difficult that after no beers. Worst part is that you and Aneanda45 are on the record as saying "I can handle it". If something does go south it can be used against you. The internet lives forever.

6. I want to move to Washington! much more relaxed it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaby89:235671
    I want to move to Washington! much more relaxed it seems!
    Washington is pretty awesome...except for it's knife laws...

grmerril.... I just want you to provide all those news stories of people shooting each other in bars.......... I'm waiting.......... If you can find any at all, they were probably cops, lol........

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    I do fear the courts. And you should as well. Because they are more likely to be filled with those who know nothing of second amendment rights or gun ownership than with those who will be like-minded as us. And they will be the ones deciding your fate, whether you were technically right or not. Why would you choose NOT to consider their potential reaction to factors you can control today, when there are so many factors you will not be able to control on the day you are forced to shoot?

Life is the most valuable thing, you're right. But unless the jury is sympathetic toward you, yours will be over. Period.
    Touche'

You have given some valid arguments for your position here... I actually agree with most of them.

However, YOU FAIL to realize just how hampered your reaction time and decision making will be if you are worrying about this crap all the time..... If you hesitate, you may be dead.... I would much rather be judged by 12 liberals than to be carried by 6 Constitutionalists.......

On the contrary, making these considerations beforehand, and having the proper mindset, will only serve to reduce any hesitating I might otherwise have had in that moment. This is why these discussions are so important. They help each of us to solidify in our own minds how mentally and physically prepared we will be, and under what circumstances we will act, and what action we will take or not. Imagine for a moment, how prepared you would have been, mentally, if on your very first day carrying a weapon in public as a civilian you were confronted with an aggressor who forced you to consider presenting and possibly firing your weapon. And now consider how mentally prepared you are now, with all of the training, research, and discussion you have had since then. I think you would agree that your mindset is more prepared, and you have made some critical "if, then" decisions already. These will help you react more quickly and decisively, just as deciding now how to live your life will affect whether you have a beer bottle in your hand when your other one goes for your weapon. I admit readily that none of us are going to be cool, calm and collected on the day we are forced to defend ourselves. But through training and mental preparation, we may be able to remove just enough hesitation to avoid dying. And by making smart decisions and lifestyle choices now, we might be able to remove just enough other BS factors to avoid life in prison.

11. Quote Originally Posted by grmerrill View Post
    Trying to use drunk driving as a defense to carry while drinking. Wow. Yes I am also concerned with people that believe they can drink and drive. One doesn't justify the other.
    You miss my whole point because you took my conmment out of context. What I said was, through this whole thread, was that the gun on my belt while I am enjoying an alcoholic beverage or two at an entertainment venue or with dinner at a restaurant is no more of a danger to anybody than a set of car keys in the pocket. Yes, there are people who will hand over car keys before they start drinking, but the vast majority of people don't, especially when moderately drinking in a setting less conducive to drinking to intoxication such as a restaurant during dinner.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between the gun on my belt and the car keys in my pocket. Several people say they would leave a location where they knew there was a person consuming alcohol who was carrying a gun. And I say that you are much more likely to die from a person drinking alcolhol with a set of car keys in their pocket than from a gun on their belt, yet I doubt very seriously you would have any problems finishing your dinner at applebees when a guy comes in and orders a beer with car keys in his pocket, but you will run for the door if I come in wearing a gun and order a beer.

Is the guy who drinks beer a bad example to good drivers everywhere because he has car keys in his pocket, or a set of car keys hanging from his belt?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast