My Open Carry Experience - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Open Carry Experience

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I am guessing that you also iron your shirts and shine your shoes. Being a well dressed man is a good thing.
    Why yes I did. Before the Army went to ACU's and tan boots, my uniform was highly starched/pressed and my black boots highly shined. Unfortunately the only places we could open carry (in uniform) is in a combat zone.

3. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I am guessing that you also iron your shirts and shine your shoes. Being a well dressed man is a good thing.
    Billy says....
    Every girl's crazy 'bout sharp dressed man...
    An honest mans pillow is his peace of mind.

Thumbs up Sharp Dressed Man

Quote Originally Posted by revolvers&w View Post
    Billy says....
    Every girl's crazy 'bout sharp dressed man...
    Clean shirt, new shoes
    and I don't know what I am gonna do.
    Silk suit, black tie,
    I don't need a reason why.
    They come runnin' just as fast as they can
    cause every girl is crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,
    I ain't missin' not a single thing.
    cuff-links, stick pin
    when I step out I'm gonna do you in.
    They come a runnin' just as fast as they can

Top coat, Top hat,
    And I don't worry cause my wallets fat.
    Black shades, white gloves,
    lookin' sharp, lookin' for love.
    They come runnin' just as fast as they can

When I OC, people regularly ask me if I am law enforcement. I smile and respond, "Nope, just a gun nut."

6. Not a bad experience you had.

I've only opened carried once in a town, and it was because I was traveling, had a suit on and it was hot - triple digits with 75%+ humidity.

I was in Subway after my job interview, and the local high school across the street had open an open campus policy... So lunch time rolls around, I'm sitting in Subway and was asked to move from a booth to the counter. I oblige without thinking everyone see's my Springfield XD .40 S&W 4" against my blue dress shirt. It went from lots of chatter to silence within two seconds. I play it cool and hang my suit jacket on the chair, and sit down. Everyone must have assumed I was a police officer at the time, because they went back to talking after fifteen or so seconds.

A few kids asked me what kind of gun it was, but never asked me why or if I was a cop. I'm guessing they assumed because the way I was dressed and my haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig1911 View Post
    When I OC, people regularly ask me if I am law enforcement. I smile and respond, "Nope, just a gun nut."
    Keep up the good work.

CC in Texas my home state, OC in AZ second home never had a problem, also have CC in AZ for food places that have booze, even the visitors in Sedona have never had a single question. AZ 2nd amendment state.

I have OC'd on a regular basis for over four years and have only had one negative encounter. It was in August 2009 at a local McDonald's on a busy Saturday morning and my antagonist claimed he was a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was not native to the area (I live in Virginia) and I would put him from some state up in the northeast. He was really getting beside himself and I remained calm during the entire encounter.

And that's it. Many views and observances from local and state police and sheriffs and not one negative comment or remark from any of them. I still do CC when I believe it to be in my best interests at the time, but I prefer to OC and here's why. Not to make a political statement or to get knee jerk reactions from the public (this is not likely to happen in Virginia unless you run across a transplant from somewhere else). I have osteoarthritis in both knees and while still mobile, I can no longer run or fight as I was once capable of doing. My little friend on my side helps send a message to anyone who might by of a mind to do me harm that perhaps it would be better to bother someone else.

Virginia is probably the most lenient and gun-friendly state in the South when it comes to owning, carrying, and using firearms so OC'ing is no big deal. You'd be amazed at the number of positive comments I get from folks who notice my sidearm.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy:239154
    Virginia is probably the most lenient and gun-friendly state in the South when it comes to owning, carrying, and using firearms so OC'ing is no big deal. You'd be amazed at the number of positive comments I get from folks who notice my sidearm.
    I am originally from VA and I remember as a kid my best friend's father open carried everywhere he went. We were maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time and I thought nothing of it. I actually felt really safe around him at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm View Post
    I am originally from VA and I remember as a kid my best friend's father open carried everywhere he went. We were maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time and I thought nothing of it. I actually felt really safe around him at all times.
    First time I ever open carried was into a little restaurant, diner really, for breakfast before heading out to hunt. My buddy and I went in and saw that most of the men in there, hunters as well, were OC'ing so we went back out to the car and hitched up our sidearms then went back in to eat. Small town in the mountains in 1971 or '72.

Hey, you good folks in North Carolina have got to get some of your strange laws off of the books. Like the GATTTOTP (Going Armed To The Terror Of The Public), and the one that says you cannot carry around a parade, the one that says you cannot carry into a place that charges admission, and the one that says you cannot carry in an assemblage of people (not sure about that one's wording). You're employees (read that as representatives) need to get their act together and stop robbing you of your natural born rights.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast