My Open Carry Experience - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Open Carry Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Hey, you good folks in North Carolina have got to get some of your strange laws off of the books. Like the GATTTOTP (Going Armed To The Terror Of The Public), and the one that says you cannot carry around a parade, the one that says you cannot carry into a place that charges admission, and the one that says you cannot carry in an assemblage of people (not sure about that one's wording). You're employees (read that as representatives) need to get their act together and stop robbing you of your natural born rights.
    I agree with you on that one.

3. Considering the way a majority of people dress, anyone with a button up the front shirt, belt, and socks is dressed up or a professional something or other. To a person who is paying attention and has knowledge of concealed carry, I would be just as well off open carrying since I wear a cover garment even in summer. A bad back and shoulder make it difficult for me to use anything except a shoulder or belt strong side holster. I cover from the naive but seem obvious to the law and the situationally aware. MO is an open carry and has always been, we just didn't push the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cartisdm View Post
    Yes, NC is an open carry state. In fact, even in banks as long as it's not posted. I don't plan on doing that though...
    You may want to look into the bank thing. They are Federal installations. As far as I know for GA I KNOW you can not carry in a Bank.. I have been an Open Carry member for 8 years. Im getting ready to come to Bragg for a week on the 7th through the 11th. Drop me you email or something maybe we can link up and hit a range! I need to know where I can have a place to play at... "BANG""BANG"

5. Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    You may want to look into the bank thing. They are Federal installations.
    Banks are in no way Federal installations. They are private businesses! They are insured by FDIC. Look at it this way - does the insurance company that insures your house or your vehicle own, operate, or control your house or your car?!? NO.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    *Face Palm* .......... 100% WRONG, As Navy has pointed out........

If you dont mind, could you tell us how old you are? I am guessing 12, 13 maybe?

I do see (after a little research) that in GA, yes, banks are a prohibited area to conceal carry though....

But that "federal" thing is out there dude, lol

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Good for you!

I agree with you on this. I don't rub my gun in anyone's face either. In addition, that's just kind of creepy. I wear mine on my belt.
    Now that's funny!

There are a host of reasons to OC just as there are a host of reasons for CC'ing. And unlike some of our CC brethren who seem to hold a strong bias against OC'ers, I have no such bigoted positions against either mode of carry. There is another reason for OC'ing which gets little fanfare or exposure, but I can assure you it does exist. Civility.

It has been said and quoted often that an armed society is a polite society and this is true and factual. I'll give you an example of this. Be aware than some words might offend a few folks, but they are not mine; they are the perpetrators' words.... I am merely reporting what happened.

A few years ago when I was still in the work-a-day world, I had walked over to a Wendy's for lunch, as was my wont from time to time. I worked in the high tech field, software engineering, and this Wendy's was in a large and upscale strip mall across from my building complex. So the area was affluent to say the least. I was not armed, since I couldn't do this at work, and didn't strap on my gun which was in my car when walking out for lunch. After I received my order and sat down to eat, in came a group of four male teenagers doing what some male teenagers sometimes tend to do... talking kinda loud and grab-assing a bit. Basically trying to get a rise out of the other customers in the place, which included folks like me, older people, and women with their children.

They took a table about two tables away from where I sat and continue showing off and acting up a bit. One of them appeared to be the leader/instigator and started jive talking and saying things like, "My niggers do this [and] my niggers do that". It was obvious to me that he was bating someone to say something to him about his language and actions. It occurred to me that had I been armed and OC'ing, this most likely would not have happened. I believe this because on several other occasions when I have been in a fast food place and the same sort of people have come in acting up and talking in similar fashion, they calm down right away when the see my sidearm. I don't need to do a thing. In fact on a few occasions where this had happened, when the gangsta wannabes see me and my little friend, the turn around and head for the door.

There is a lot to be said for civility.. as rapidly disappearing trait in much of our society.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45:239736
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    *Face Palm* .......... 100% WRONG, As Navy has pointed out........

If you dont mind, could you tell us how old you are? I am guessing 12, 13 maybe?

I do see (after a little research) that in GA, yes, banks are a prohibited area to conceal carry though....

But that "federal" thing is out there dude, lol
    WOW........ there have been some snippy replies here, but congrats on going that extra step.

There is supposed to be an OC get together at a restraunt not far from my house this weekend. I'm going to go, CCing, and sit off to the side so I can see how other people truly react. It will be interesting to watch both those OCing and everyone else.

10. Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    There is supposed to be an OC get together at a restraunt not far from my house this weekend. I'm going to go, CCing, and sit off to the side so I can see how other people truly react. It will be interesting to watch both those OCing and everyone else.
    Just make sure and sit as close to a 90 degree angle between the doors and the open carriers as you can. That way when the band of criminals comes busting through the door, shooting at the open carriers, you won't be in the line of fire. It happens all the time, you know...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Just make sure and sit as close to a 90 degree angle between the doors and the open carriers as you can. That way when the band of criminals comes busting through the door, shooting at the open carriers, you won't be in the line of fire. It happens all the time, you know...
    It would be a gang of criminals not a band but I will keep your obviously well meaning advice in mind. But since I'm right handed I think that sitting at a 45 degree angle will allow me to more quickly draw my weapon and get it on target as I come to the rescue of all those OCers, that happens all the time tooo I'm told. Either way I will try to go and keep you updated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast