My Open Carry Experience - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My Open Carry Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    There are a host of reasons to OC just as there are a host of reasons for CC'ing. And unlike some of our CC brethren who seem to hold a strong bias against OC'ers, I have no such bigoted positions against either mode of carry. There is another reason for OC'ing which gets little fanfare or exposure, but I can assure you it does exist. Civility.

It has been said and quoted often that an armed society is a polite society and this is true and factual. I'll give you an example of this. Be aware than some words might offend a few folks, but they are not mine; they are the perpetrators' words.... I am merely reporting what happened.

A few years ago when I was still in the work-a-day world, I had walked over to a Wendy's for lunch, as was my wont from time to time. I worked in the high tech field, software engineering, and this Wendy's was in a large and upscale strip mall across from my building complex. So the area was affluent to say the least. I was not armed, since I couldn't do this at work, and didn't strap on my gun which was in my car when walking out for lunch. After I received my order and sat down to eat, in came a group of four male teenagers doing what some male teenagers sometimes tend to do... talking kinda loud and grab-assing a bit. Basically trying to get a rise out of the other customers in the place, which included folks like me, older people, and women with their children.

They took a table about two tables away from where I sat and continue showing off and acting up a bit. One of them appeared to be the leader/instigator and started jive talking and saying things like, "My niggers do this [and] my niggers do that". It was obvious to me that he was bating someone to say something to him about his language and actions. It occurred to me that had I been armed and OC'ing, this most likely would not have happened. I believe this because on several other occasions when I have been in a fast food place and the same sort of people have come in acting up and talking in similar fashion, they calm down right away when the see my sidearm. I don't need to do a thing. In fact on a few occasions where this had happened, when the gangsta wannabes see me and my little friend, the turn around and head for the door.

There is a lot to be said for civility.. as rapidly disappearing trait in much of our society.

Southernboy, I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact I have been OCing for 8 years now and I have noticed the same things, (About young interstates that act up around friends) I think this is absolutely true. An ARMED SOCIETY IS A WELL BEHAVED SOCIETY!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelslaying101 View Post
    Southernboy, I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact I have been OCing for 8 years now and I have noticed the same things, (About young interstates that act up around friends) I think this is absolutely true. An ARMED SOCIETY IS A WELL BEHAVED SOCIETY!
    Yeah, it is a sad state of affairs. From time to time we see the worse cases of it in news reports with videos showing wilding teens on subways, buses, streets, and stores and folks are at their mercy. Just look at what took place is some upper mid-west cities during the summer at places like fairs, carnivals, and parks. These kids know that no one will challenge them by standing up to them. But get about a half dozen or more good 'ole boys together with sidearms and their tone would change in a heartbeat.

Since you're from Georgia, it would be my guess that you and I might have been brought up with very similar values. Honesty, integrity, character, respect... all of these and more were drilled into my brother and me when we were growing up. Far too many kids today are products of parents who were not raised with these values and then the parents wonder why their kids don't turn out as they had hoped. It's not rocket science.

Here's something you might enjoy from your sister state. The country needs a whole lot more of sheriffs like this man. Click on the video.

Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

As I have said before I have no problem with OCs or CCs, personaly I 90 percent cc, but in all honesty I dont put a lot of effort into it, I meen a long shirt or jacket will only cover so much, and I carry two Glocks, OWB and SOTB, but when they are completely open I have had no issues, in fact its kind of cool, nobody pesters you, parents don't let there rug rats get near you

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    As I have said before I have no problem with OCs or CCs, personaly I 90 percent cc, but in all honesty I dont put a lot of effort into it, I meen a long shirt or jacket will only cover so much, and I carry two Glocks, OWB and SOTB, but when they are completely open I have had no issues, in fact its kind of cool, nobody pesters you, parents don't let there rug rats get near you
    Excellent, another reason to OC!!!

Thanks!

Let me give you an example of what I run into frequently when OC'ing in my area. I live technically just outside of Northern Virginia however in reality, I am in Northern Virginia when one considers the demographics of the area. NOVA is the most affluent part of the country with a population comprising somewhere around 70% transplants from other states and other parts of the world. Many of the out-of-staters come from states up North where guns are not viewed in the same light as they are down South, not to mention people from other nations. With that said, you would think that this area would be very anti-gun and therefore anti-carry; especially open carry. But that is not the case at all. In fact, quite the contrary.

Example. Yesterday, I did my week's grocery shopping at a local supermarket and three people talked to me about my little friend (an M&P9 Pro series in a Fobus Evolution belt holster at the time). The first person, a man, asked what I was carrying, and that was the extent of the contact. The second person, a woman, commented briefly, then mentioned that she had said something to me a few weeks ago. On that occasion when she saw me she said, "Boy do I like to see that!". So we talked a little as we were going through the checkout and the lady who was operating the checkout, who knows me, joined in. She bought a .357 revolver after talking to me last year.

In other words, all contacts were positive and rewarding. And that is how it goes for me every time.. except once two years ago. Other than that one time, I have never had a negative encounter with anyone, citizen or LEO. I have encountered local police, police chiefs, our county sheriff and his deputies, SWAT teams, state police, and FBI and I have yet to have any one of them say anything negative or challenge me about my OC'ing. This is what I expect and this is what happens here.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    *Face Palm* .......... 100% WRONG, As Navy has pointed out........

If you dont mind, could you tell us how old you are? I am guessing 12, 13 maybe?

I do see (after a little research) that in GA, yes, banks are a prohibited area to conceal carry though....

But that "federal" thing is out there dude, lol
    Wow. I bet that made you feel extra good to insult someone that was taught bad information. A lot of people think banks are federal buildings. I've even heard bank employees make such statements.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Actually, it was the impression I got when I read his post, so I asked him to see if I was right....

If I wanted to insult, I could have done MUCH better than that, lol

It's so great to hear stories of people OC'ing without problems in other states. I do it all the time, everywhere in PA and haven't had a bad experience yet. I do keep a lot of info in my pockets though regaring the legality of it. Being an OC'er outs you in the front lines and you have to be ready for the misinformed citizen or even worse misinformed LEO. Kutos!

Ok correct me if I'm wrong but I called the mecklenburg county sheriff about oc and they told me that NC is a oc state however the city of Charlotte has a ordnance against it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234