My Grand Social Experiment - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Grand Social Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by rdm6680 View Post
    What I've learned is that you need to start eating better. ;)
    Yabut if I ate better I would lose weight. If I lost weight I would no longer be the smiling fat kat. :)

I just don't understand that if you OC'd expecting some negativity, why would you?

I don't have a problem with anyone OC'ing but to do it just to see if you could get a rise? That seems to me like you're looking for trouble or at least a hassle. I don't get.

OC or CC, but just do it, stop trying to make a statement or get a rise out of folks. But only if you want, that is!:-) I'm not saying you can't do what you want, just sayin' I don't get it.

KK

4. That makes no sense. There's a lot of anti gun people and people who don't know the law so obviously he might expect a hassle or two, but telling him not to OC then if he expects that? I think that's the reason right there why nobody OCs. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, douchers

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    I just don't understand that if you OC'd expecting some negativity, why would you?

I don't have a problem with anyone OC'ing but to do it just to see if you could get a rise? That seems to me like you're looking for trouble or at least a hassle. I don't get.

OC or CC, but just do it, stop trying to make a statement or get a rise out of folks. But only if you want, that is!:-) I'm not saying you can't do what you want, just sayin' I don't get it.

KK
    I never carry a loaded handgun around for any reason other than self defense. If you read my posts, you'd see that I clearly stated that I was not a supporter of OC. What I did, I did as an experiment, nothing more. I wanted to see how the public in general would react to the sight of a gun in the possession of someone other than a LEO. Had anyone confronted me, I had already decided to beat a hasty retreat. I was not, nor would I ever go out looking for a fight. How utterly stupid would that be? The reason for the thread was because I was indeed surprised by the reactions, all of which was positive. Instead of feeling nervous, people just kept walking without skipping a beat. Those that did say something to me either asked a simple question or engaged in a conversation supporting the rights of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

In case you were wondering, my intent was to validate my preconception that OC would make people afraid or at least nervous. I wanted to validate what I had always considered to be a mistake. What I ended up discovering was that I was completely wrong.

6. The vast majority of negative responses I have had while open carrying just about everywhere I go in Washington state has been from some concealed carry only person ardently against open carry. For example, standing in line at Jack in the Box, a guy looks down his nose at my gun and says in a snotty tone, "I carry mine concealed." I replied, "You aren't doing it very well." He said, "What do you mean?" I said, "I know you have a gun."

I run about 95% of the public either doesn't notice or don't care. 4% will be positive towards my gun, with everything from a thumbs up sign to asking about what gun I carry to thanking me for exercising an American right. About 1% is negative, and 3 out of 4 times it's from some self-proclaimed "pro-gun" person, so far always male, who tells me I should cover it up.

That's happened twice now when my daughter has been with me. She is 15. She always says, "Dad, just tell them that you aren't a criminal and that you have no reason to hide your gun!"

I don't care how you carry your gun....it doesn't matter a bit to me. But don't claim to be some "pro-2a" supporter, and then in the same breath tell me I should cover up my gun... I don't shove or rub my gun in anybody's face, I carry mine in a holster on my belt.

I must admit, I admire the OP and give them credit for actually trying something before they continue to be dead set against it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Why would you want to carry oc when you have a ccw. Then you do not have to worry what people are thinking and bringing attention to yourself.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jimelrod View Post
    Why would you want to carry oc when you have a ccw. Then you do not have to worry what people are thinking and bringing attention to yourself.
    Because open carry increases the chances that you will not be attacked to begin with, rather than only being able to defend yourself once the attack begins. In most day-to-day activities, deterrence is a much more effective and better defense than the "element of surprise." Why would a person want to conceal their gun and give up the deterrence affect when they have the choice to legally open carry?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by jimelrod View Post
    Why would you want to carry oc when you have a ccw. Then you do not have to worry what people are thinking and bringing attention to yourself.
    Because carrying a gun OC is more comfortable ( to me ) than a gun constantly grinding into me when iwb

Open Carry also decreases the chance of some dirtbag trying to hold up a liquor store if he knows someone else has a gun and might use it on him.

Like I said, I was expecting problems, what I got was support. There's little doubt in my mind that I will eventually run across someone that will have something to the contrary to say, but they'll be few and far between. I think the LCDR' numbers are probably accurate, but one thing is for sure, I'm going to keep on OC'n and if I run into someone that doesn't like it, I can always leave.

I have a friend in Canada that mused one day that if he saw someone in a store that was open carrying he would sneak up behind them and grab their gun and take it apart before they could even turn around. I explained to him that the only outcome if he ever tried that kind of a stunt, would be he'd get shot. He didn't think so, but he's a Canuck, what do they know. ;)

One thing for sure, I'm an OC convert.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
    Because carrying a gun OC is more comfortable ( to me ) than a gun constantly grinding into me when iwb
    And that's true... the easier it is and more comfortable it is to carry a gun, it is more likely the person will actually carry it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast