My Grand Social Experiment - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: My Grand Social Experiment

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ElK Creek Kentucky
    Posts
    437
    I oc once or twice a week. Past 5 yrs.Not one person has freakedout or even acted like they noticed. I'm in KY

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out! I CC but only 'cause I have a very comfy IWB holster, a Supertuck. I admire those who OC and also respect those who have a quiet confidence in CC.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

  4. #33
    Anybody with an ounce of common sense should be able to figure out that you are either a LEO or definetly not a bad guy because you would not carry openly if you were. It's not really rocket science.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Interesting response from the same person that posted:





    What happened to "taunting", "in your face", Dodge City", and "shocking folks into submission?"
    It seems like you may be taunting me now :)

    OC is not my issue but you apparantly can not separate issue's. I would expect more from an officer in the worlds second largest Nuclear Navy.

    Keeping tabs on me, are we? That's really kinda scary that you come up with several quotes from me on demand.

    Maybe it's me who is taunting you? Ah,yes, and it seems to be working although I may have brought out the stalker in you.

    Scary stuff dude!

    KK

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Anybody with an ounce of common sense should be able to figure out that you are either a LEO or definetly not a bad guy because you would not carry openly if you were. It's not really rocket science.
    The sad part is, looks can be deceiving. The guy that shot up the IHOP never gave the slightest hint that he was capable of such a horrific act. Personally, all I think I can do is be responsible for my own actions. Now I'll agree that I don't look the part of a crazed killer and hearing me talk is going to put most people at ease. Seeing me pay for my purchase or shake the hand of the guy that helped me at Home Depot are all signs that people can generally use to determine if I'm a threat or not as well. I'm not exactly clean cut though. I'm big and fat and I cut wood for a living. Sometimes I carry into places where I'm completely filthy from head to toe from a long and hot day in the forest. Still, nobody is freaking out.

    Another thing that's weird is that no one has chastised me for OC, even after I tell them that I have a permit to carry concealed. :)

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    203
    I've been carrying openly on a regular basis for 4 1/2 years now and yes, there are times when I conceal carry, too. It depends upon what I determine at the time to be in my best interests. But mostly, I OC. And in those 4 1/2 years of OC'ing I have only had one negative encounter. It was at a local McDonald's on a busy Saturday morning in August 2009. The guy claimed he was a retired LEO but judging from his accent, he was not from Virgnia. I stayed calm while he didn't and it was over within two minutes or so.

    As for LEO's, I've never had a negative encounter whether carrying open or concealed and I have carried one way or the other regularly for 16 1/2 years. Local and state police as well as sheriff's deputies and our county sheriff have seen my little friend on my side and not one of them has challenged me. But then again, I expect that they won't because carrying a sidearm openly is the normal, or default, mode of carrying in Virginia. Concealing it is the exception.

    We all have our reasons for carrying in whatever manner we choose and to chastise or criticize someone for doing that which we don't do or approve is vain and arrogant. People, we are all in this together so support the carrying of a firearm regardless of the mode of carry.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaKat View Post
    The sad part is, looks can be deceiving. The guy that shot up the IHOP never gave the slightest hint that he was capable of such a horrific act. Personally, all I think I can do is be responsible for my own actions. Now I'll agree that I don't look the part of a crazed killer and hearing me talk is going to put most people at ease. Seeing me pay for my purchase or shake the hand of the guy that helped me at Home Depot are all signs that people can generally use to determine if I'm a threat or not as well. I'm not exactly clean cut though. I'm big and fat and I cut wood for a living. Sometimes I carry into places where I'm completely filthy from head to toe from a long and hot day in the forest. Still, nobody is freaking out.

    Another thing that's weird is that no one has chastised me for OC, even after I tell them that I have a permit to carry concealed. :)
    All the crazies that shot places up were angry sknny dudes so maybe you have that going for you? ;-)

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    Yah, they're probably afraid I'll sit on them if they give me any guff. :LOL:

  10. The difference between CC and OC is really much less than some people would attempt to lead you to believe. The concealed carrier wears his/her shirt over the gun. The open carrier tucks their shirt behind their gun. The concealed carrier trusts that they will be able to overcome a criminal attacking them by using their gun. The open carrier trusts that if the criminal sees their gun they will simply move on to one of the 99% of the potential victims remaining who appears to be unarmed.

    It's funny how some people will point to the open carrier and use the phrase "Wild West", "Dodge City", etc about them. Yet the open carrier is trusting that their gun will never have to leave the holster. The concealed carrier, on the other hand, is the one who is relying upon their "quick draw" skills to win a "gunfight" with a criminal who has already begun to attack them. That sounds more "wild west" to me than simply relying upon the deterrent value of a visible firearm to cause the criminal to think twice about attacking the person carrying the gun.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Western Prince William County, VA
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The difference between CC and OC is really much less than some people would attempt to lead you to believe. The concealed carrier wears his/her shirt over the gun. The open carrier tucks their shirt behind their gun. The concealed carrier trusts that they will be able to overcome a criminal attacking them by using their gun. The open carrier trusts that if the criminal sees their gun they will simply move on to one of the 99% of the potential victims remaining who appears to be unarmed.

    It's funny how some people will point to the open carrier and use the phrase "Wild West", "Dodge City", etc about them. Yet the open carrier is trusting that their gun will never have to leave the holster. The concealed carrier, on the other hand, is the one who is relying upon their "quick draw" skills to win a "gunfight" with a criminal who has already begun to attack them. That sounds more "wild west" to me than simply relying upon the deterrent value of a visible firearm to cause the criminal to think twice about attacking the person carrying the gun.
    Absolutely correct. Recently someone asked me why I "carried like that" (openly) to which I responded, "so I don't have to use it".
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast